Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pedestrianisation of College Green

Options
  • 21-09-2007 9:50pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I just attended a conference in Trinity on Public Transport in Dublin:

http://www.policyinstitute.tcd.ie/transport_conference.php

Suggestions from a lot of people to pedestrianise College Green..

any opinions???

T

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

It has been discussed before.. in fact its almost pedestrianised now.
    The problem lies with traffic coming from O'Connell street, Which should also be pedestrianised too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Im sorry...."almost pedestrianised"??

Maybe I'm seeing things but college green is a traffic circus at the moment. I don't see anything but small sidewalks and pedestrians treated as an inconvenience to car users. Traffic light sequences give priority to cars, etc..

Are you serious?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

taconnol wrote:
    Im sorry...."almost pedestrianised"??

Maybe I'm seeing things but college green is a traffic circus at the moment. I don't see anything but small sidewalks and pedestrians treated as an inconvenience to car users. Traffic light sequences give priority to cars, etc..

I'm thinking he's joking as well, either that or he's mixing up the location

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Ok phew...

ALso, just in case anyone isn't aware, today is car free day (ahem..) and there's stuff going on around the city in Parnell Square, Merrion Sq:

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/breaking/2007/0911/breaking8.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭BendiBus

The whole one-way system in central Dublin needs to be reviewed before it will be possible to pedestrianise College Green. But they managed to change the system around Stephens Green so it shouldn't be a showstopper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Cabaal wrote:
    I'm thinking he's joking as well, either that or he's mixing up the location

Slight joke... yes... although you can enter it from Pearse street or South great Georges street any more so it seems like its heading in the right direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭sully-gormo

Get the Trinity News for more on this

Out monday

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37 celtcia

This design was looked at by DCC and myself however there are much better solutions around.

OK, I think this is a zombie thread.

If you'd like to start a more up-to-date discussion on the pedestrianisation of College Green (or anywhere else), please feel free.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement