Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trouser sizes.

Options
  • 04-02-2020 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51,573 ✭✭✭✭

Why can’t clothing manufacturers make items to be sold off the peg in proper sizes i.e. trousers 35 waist and 31 leg?
    I can only buy 36 waist and 32 leg, too wide and too long.

Is there a reason for this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I'd say you're shopping in the wrong place.

Although 31 and 33 leg are harder to get. Try online

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Get a 32 leg, and have it turned up.

Then, either lose a little weight, or gain a little weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,681 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Why can’t clothing manufacturers make items to be sold off the peg in proper sizes i.e. trousers 35 waist and 31 leg?
    I can only buy 36 waist and 32 leg, too wide and too long.

Is there a reason for this?

I would think it’s to fit as many different shapes in a particular bracket as possible, such as someone who’s between a 34-36 and between a 30-32 leg. Tailored clothing is just more expensive to manufacture because it can’t be done in mass quantities to appeal to as broad a market as possible.

It also depends on brands and styles you’re looking for too. Nowadays I’m more concerned with the fit and the style than I am about the sizing. It probably has something to do with the fact that in the last few years I’ve gone from a 34 to a 40 waist as I’ve approached middle age, but basically the same styles that would have suited me then would look awful on me now.

Vanity sizing is not applicable in my case (I’m absolutely certain my waistline has expanded :D), but it’s something to be wary of in buying men’s clothing anywhere these days, whether it’s online or in a bricks and mortar menswear shop -

Are Your Pants Lying to You? An Investigation

• Registered Users Posts: 7,229 ✭✭✭facehugger99

the fact that in the last few years I’ve gone from a 34 to a 40 waist as I’ve approached middle age,

The hassle of having to change my whole wardrobe is enough incentive for me to never allow this to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

(I’m absolutely certain my waistline has expanded :D)

At a certain station in life; One learns to measure across the upper pelvic girdle. That being the accepted 'Waistline' ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement