Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sexism you have personally experienced or have heard of? *READ POST 1*

Options

Comments

Don't forget, it's our own fault for allowing rape culture to exist!

Wait, what?

So you're saying that all men are responsible? And not just the men that rape. Or the women that rape.

I'm sorry, but the opinion you have is exactly the problem!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,303 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I'm sorry, but the opinion you have is exactly the problem!

I think he was being facetious

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I think he was being facetious

So was Buttonftw I think. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Henry9

Yes, if you are a white heterosexual male you bear collective responsibility.
    As well as taking responsibility for your own problems you are also responsible for everyone else's.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,701 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

• Advertisement

So even now it's my fault? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Not sure if it's classed as sexism but I've always found women to think it's ok to make personal insults towards me. Things such as "whats up short arse" or "hi baldie".

These things don't bother me and I laugh them off, but I always have to be careful in my retort. As not that I'm in any inclined to say such things, but I replied with something like "all good big bird" I'd be strung up and vilified.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

Not sure if it's classed as sexism but I've always found women to think it's ok to make personal insults towards me. Things such as "whats up short arse" or "hi baldie".

These things don't bother me and I laugh them off, but I always have to be careful in my retort. As not that I'm in any inclined to say such things, but I replied with something like "all good big bird" I'd be strung up and vilified.

I'd let that slide for the sake of personal relations.

One of the reasons could be treating you, as you are a man, as men treat other men. But, it must be hard not to have the natural reply of 'big bird.'

Perhaps aims towards something else? Big hair? Shorty? Or just go with what's working.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

No

Not sure it's sexist, and im not sure you'd be vilified (because you're male).

I've been in the same boat, but I always give back. And I've found people are (generally) cool. That said I tend to hit back proportionately; I don't go for the jugular unless I've been hurt badly.

Some girls, like boys enjoy light hearted snagging - I don't think it's a gender thing

• Advertisement

Aye, my automatic reply seems to be a good natured **** off, that usually goes down well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Zulu wrote: »
    Not sure it's sexist, and im not sure you'd be vilified (because you're male).

I've been in the same boat, but I always give back. And I've found people are (generally) cool. That said I tend to hit back proportionately; I don't go for the jugular unless I've been hurt badly.

Some girls, like boys enjoy light hearted snagging - I don't think it's a gender thing

It's not that the insult is sexist per se, I think. It is that if a man lets fly with similar insults, he will be vilified and attacked as a misogynist ....

No
    Piliger wrote: »
    , he will be vilified and attacked as a misogynist ....
    I don't think so (not in my experience)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Not fully the same but I met someone for a first date once and the first two things she said to me were "wow you look old " followed by "and you are bald as well".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

No
    Not fully the same but I met someone for a first date once and the first two things she said to me were "wow you look old " followed by "and you are bald as well".

That's just poor manners and an inability to judge an audience imo - I mean what do you even say in response to that barring trying to make some sort of joke to move past it quickly, poor people skills!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

maybe
    :eek: What did you say in response?

I take it there wasn't a second date.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭newport2

To which I hope you replied "wow you look single" followed by "and you probably wonder why as well".....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

newport2 wrote: »
    To which I hope you replied "wow you look single" followed by "and you probably wonder why as well".....

Oh god that's genius :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

I don't agree. Being ignorant back doesn't achieve anything except lowering yourself. Something like that happened to me about four years ago and I simply stood up and walked out - In my personal view a better response.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

:eek: What did you say in response?

I take it there wasn't a second date.

To be honest I didn't really say anything, sometimes people think something like going bald is a trivial issue for men and comment on it not realising how it is affecting the person.

No there was no second date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

No
    To be honest I didn't really say anything, sometimes people think something like going bald is a trivial issue for men and comment on it not realising how it is affecting the person.

No there was no second date.

I don't find it a bothersome thing myself (my hair situation) but there isn't really a positive way to take somebody mentioning it. It is like grey hairs. You either have them or don't, you care or you don't but I can't think of a reason to bring it up to a complete stranger except as a put down.

Piliger wrote: »
    It's not that the insult is sexist per se, I think. It is that if a man lets fly with similar insults, he will be vilified and attacked as a misogynist ....

I was coming from the angle that I've found some women to think that they're entitled to make such comments on a guy's appearance. But if you flipped the roles there would be outrage.

Meh anyway, I'm quite thick skinned at this stage. But I do have to laugh at some large or a not particularly glam woman passing comment towards a bloke, while it won't even enter her mind that she might get a bit back in kind.

As I said, it's that entitlement to give but not to take that seems quit sexist to me.

I should clarify that seems to be especially a problem with random women on nights I walk by, I don't even know them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

my gf had a row with another woman in a supermarket car park
    after said row we were approached by the woman from the other car.

She started ranting at us . I asked her to stop and then she shouted/roared at me "You're a typical man".

Kinda odd remark. sexist bitch.:rolleyes:

maybe
    my gf had a row with another woman in a supermarket car park
    after said row we were approached by the woman from the other car.

She started ranting at us . I asked her to stop and then she shouted/roared at me "You're a typical man".

Kinda odd remark. sexist bitch.:rolleyes:

Typical man alright, trying to defuse a situation.
    If there was less like yourself and more people sticking their noses in where it's not needed, the world would be a better place! :pac:
    (I jest, of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Henry9

2 words: Suspended sentence.
    She might get done for that, after all she's not young and attractive, so can't play the poor misguided girl, led astray by her female emotions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

maybe
    Henry9 wrote: »
    She might get done for that, after all she's not young and attractive, so can't play the poor misguided girl, led astray by her female emotions.

I doubt it. She'll cop onto some way to play the victim card, elicit sympathy and, at worst receive a tap on the wrist. A man would be in prison at this point.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

No
    An article on slate.com about ogling players during the World Cup:

http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/doublex/2014/06/world_cup_players_are_hot_here_s_why_it_s_ok_to_objectify_them.html

A good article. which makes some good points, and on the whole I agree with the author. A few points about the double standards are interesting.

1. When female and gay gazes are applied to the soccer pitch, the results are fun, goofy, and even campy.

The author's contention is that it's fun to objectify a male athlete, but demeaning towards a female athlete. I doubt Ronaldo or whoever else is going to complain, but the "it's ok when I do it" attitude makes very real complaints about the marginalisation of less attractive female athletes ring hollow.

2. And if straight men are forced to wade through a few slideshows of extremely attractive men when they’re searching for the score? Everyone wins.

Probably just a glib way of ending the article, I find it revealing as to the author's state of mind. The view is of straight men as a homogenous group, and one in which she is in opposition to. The chance to get one back is not to be missed.

Overall, a harmless issue I feel, and no one will get worked up about it. The defence of a fun activity that is shamed in reverse is enjoyable to my mind.

maybe
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2672950/Woman-teacher-sent-2-000-sex-texts-pupil-Staff-member-30-used-social-network-send-explicit-messages-Year-11-boy.html
    Police later concluded that no offence had been committed, but the panel said the incident – which became ‘the subject of rumour and gossip’ among pupils and staff’ – amounted to serious misconduct.

I find the bolded bit odd, at least the teaching council took action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

No

I'm presuming that because she didn't know what you looked like that this was an online date?

I agree that her saying that was bad manners but if it was an online date and that was her reaction, I'm presuming you had misleading photos up, that's not a great way to behave either (if it is the case) IMO.

• Advertisement

No
    I'm presuming that because she didn't know what you looked like that this was an online date?

I agree that her saying that was bad manners but if it was an online date and that was her reaction, I'm presuming you had misleading photos up, that's not a great way to behave either (if it is the case) IMO.

Fairly presumptuous just to have a pop at the op. Poor form.

Advertisement