Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sexism you have personally experienced or have heard of? *READ POST 1*

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

maybe
    Right, I forgot to mention this before but as it pertains to the link I posted earlier. The British Medical Journal (BMJ) publish a "joke study" each year with the Indo article covering this year's (http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/the-best-of-the-british-medical-journals-goofy-christmas-papers-180948177/?no-ist). I do think it still constitutes sexism as any conclusion extrapolated which would imply stupidity on the part of women would have led to the thing not being published. Perhaps I overreacted... I've no idea.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Henry9

tritium wrote: »
    Its an interesting idea though. If its acceptable to acknowledge the fatter tail at the idiot end of he distribution for males then it must also be acceptable to acknowledge the fatter genius end. Of course when you do that gender imbalance in boardrooms and higher executive pay for males doesn't suddenly seem like such a bad idea.......
    No YOU IDIOT!! Gender differences only exist when they put women in a good light, otherwise it's sexism.

I've yet to see anything in a mainstream paper which points out that men are 'better at x' where x is a good thing.
    Plenty of 'men are too stupid for blah blah', plenty of 'women are better at y, but we knew that all along'.
    The 'equality' lobby would be all over you if the tables were turned, you'd be hounded out of your job. (Just ask Lawrence Summers).

And like you point out, the corollary that a small number of these risk taking men strike the jackpot is ignored.

More likely you'll just hear whinging about a lack of female CEOs in Silicon Valley.
    Ignoring of course that it takes a big risk taker to strike out in that industry, it seems to be the done thing to drop out of college to set yourself up.
    Of course nobody publishes a survey of those who took the risk and failed. Nope, just cherry pick the survivors and bleat that not enough of them have vaginas.

Actually on the subject of Lawrence Summers, given the difficulty so many feminists have with basic statistics, he may have been right.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

maybe
    Right, I've let the Green Party know that I cannot ethically continue to vote for and volunteer for them. I've received an apology that this caused me to leave and invitation to come back which I have politely declined. I may be in the wrong but I think it's wrong for the councillor of a party with equality as it's prevailing mantra to propagate an article whose title begins with "Men are stupider than...".

Anyway, it's done with now.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭iptba

I couldn't think of a thread this would fit under. New to me.
    Men fall victim to online 'sextortion'
    19 December 2014

Hundreds of thousands of men around the world are falling victim every year to a pernicious form of online crime.

It has been nicknamed "sextortion" and is a form of blackmail.

Victims are normally lured in through social media sites; the blackmailers are criminal gangs operating in countries like the Philippines.

Angus Crawford reports.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-30544685

(video is 2 minutes 9 seconds)

Here's a Guardian article from May:
    Police warn men over online 'sextortion'
    West Midlands police say eight men have come forward saying they were lured into video chats and then blackmailed
    http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/may/16/police-online-sextortion-blackmail

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Lol a poster on another forum I use had this happen to him. He was on omegle or chatroulette and got chatting to what he said seemed to be a totally legit woman (did the whole typical wave your hands or whatever checks). After a while "she" wanted to add him on Skype to cyber saying "she" didn't want to do it on the chat site. From there, "she" had his Skype name and also asked to add him on Facebook, which he did. So the cybering happens and after he finishes the video of the woman stops and is replaced by some guy telling him he'd recorded the whole thing while also taking details of his closest friends and family from Facebook. He was demanding something ridiculous like $1k or else he'd add and send the video to his friends. He posted the thread asking posters what to do and was terrified but people told him to block him on everything possible and contact the police. From what I remember nothing ever actually happened so I guess the blackmailer just didn't bother following through.

On another old forum I used there were members actually doing similar, but not through blackmailing, and they called it 'e-whoring'. They'd just try to target white knights and get them to pay for sh!t on their Amazon wish lists and lots of idiots actually happily paid for what they thought was some hot 18-21 year old girl lmao.

iptba wrote: »
    Men fall victim to online 'sextortion'
    19 December 2014

Hundreds of thousands of men around the world are falling victim every year to a pernicious form of online crime.

It has been nicknamed "sextortion" and is a form of blackmail.

Victims are normally lured in through social media sites; the blackmailers are criminal gangs operating in countries like the Philippines.

Angus Crawford reports.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-30544685

Just to point out that I didn't post this post in this thread: I'm not sure it's really an example of sexism. But I don't mind it staying here if that's what the mods want, now that I've had a chance of saying this.

maybe
    Lol...

Why do you think this is funny?

Why do you think this is funny?

Because of the experience I talked about. Nothing came of it. If he did pay the money or had the video shared with his friends I wouldn't think it's funny.

And I do think that men willing to do that within 5 minutes of talking to some stranger online are idiots with no common sense or caution. Anyone with half a clue would take every precaution while on a random webcam chat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 194 ✭✭GalwayGuitar

I find it hard to have much sympathy for these men.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Right, I've let the Green Party know that I cannot ethically continue to vote for and volunteer for them. I've received an apology that this caused me to leave and invitation to come back which I have politely declined. I may be in the wrong but I think it's wrong for the councillor of a party with equality as it's prevailing mantra to propagate an article whose title begins with "Men are stupider than...".

Anyway, it's done with now.

The Green Party's environmental platform has been subsumed into the policies of other political parties, making the Greens redundant in the eyes of many voters.

Now, Greens in the UK are rather stylishly attempting to market gender discrimination as proposals for equality.

The Irish Greens won absolutely zero Dáil seats in the 2011 General Election. They seem to be blithely marching down the road to extinction.

I'd like to see a headline in Waterford Whispers News to the effect of: "Irrelevant party alienates half of the population and nobody even cares." :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Came across one today that nearly ruined our Christmas.

The passport office were insisting my wife had to sign an affidavit in the presence of an oath commissioner that she is the sole guardian of my step-son. Since his dad is his legal guardian (and had signed all the forms as such) this would have amounted to perjury. Apparently, their system doesn't recognise the possibility of unmarried fathers being legal guardians of their child.

A trip to the passport office seems to have sorted it all out in the end but, honestly, in this day and age, how is it acceptable for the assumption to be that the mother is the only legal guardian even when the father has signed the forms in the presence of a Garda?

I was spitting nails and, for the first time in my life, considered threatening a call to Joe Duffy... When advising women to perjure themselves and deny a child having their relationship to their father being legally recognized is the default advise from a civil servant you really have to wonder what kind of country we're living in!

maybe
    The Green Party's environmental platform has been subsumed into the policies of other political parties, making the Greens redundant in the eyes of many voters.

Now, Greens in the UK are rather stylishly attempting to market gender discrimination as proposals for equality.

The Irish Greens won absolutely zero Dáil seats in the 2011 General Election. They seem to be blithely marching down the road to extinction.

I'd like to see a headline in Waterford Whispers News to the effect of: "Irrelevant party alienates half of the population and nobody even cares." :pac:

I have a friend who is a gechemist. He's told me that the Green's only MP is extremely well informed regarding fracking. I agree with you in that it has definitely taken a back seat to "gender equality".

Their site lists their gender quota policy as aiming to have at least half of their candidates being women. Apparantly aiming to have a majority of women isn't sexist. In any case, I knew that it was highly unlikely that I would agree with all of their policies but when I saw the link I posted earlier being shared by one of their councillors, it gave me a small amount of cause for concern.

Natalie Bennett, their leader recently posted regarding their latest candidate being transgender. That is all the info I have on this person. I know nothing of their background, ideals, aims, etc... Nothing. She was very emphatic on the fact that this is the first time in UK history that a transgender person has been put forward as a candidate.

I'm specifically talking about the Green Party of England & Wales here. I've little to no knowledge of the Irish equivalent. Funnily enough, I log onto RTÉ and the Irish Times' websites from time to time and I've heard literally nothing about them whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I find Bennett making such a deal out of their latest candidate's gender to be somewhat false and tbh patronising. From what you've said, it would seem that the Green party (UK) seem more interested in using the person's gender to put a feather in their cap than any attempt to actually better the body politic and/or that they view gender as more important than what a candidate actually brings to the table.

I also think it wrong to make a song and dance that the candidate is transgender; they should be identified whatever way they feel represents them and who they are; i.e. male or female. It should be up to the candidate to volunteer more than that if they so choose, not for the Green Party to try and put a notch in the proverbial bedpost.

maybe
    Lemming, I think you're bang on the money there. I'd have like to have reposted her tweet announcing it but I'm back with the parents and my posting options are limited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

Lemming wrote: »
    I find Bennett making such a deal out of their latest candidate's gender to be somewhat false and tbh patronising. From what you've said, it would seem that the Green party (UK) seem more interested in using the person's gender to put a feather in their cap than any attempt to actually better the body politic and/or that they view gender as more important than what a candidate actually brings to the table.

I also think it wrong to make a song and dance that the candidate is transgender; they should be identified whatever way they feel represents them and who they are; i.e. male or female. It should be up to the candidate to volunteer more than that if they so choose, not for the Green Party to try and put a notch in the proverbial bedpost.

Unfortunately, the transgender person running is clearly happy to run under that guise and therefore perpetuate an attention-seeking stereotype. At least the Greens are irrelevant so it shouldn't go too mainstream.

maybe
    Polls show them being more popular than the Lib Dems and they've doubled their membership in the last year. They can't field candidates in most constituencies so they're probably not as relevant as Natalie Bennett might like to think.

I tend not to read full newspapers but get the impression there is no male list
    Top 25 Irish women tweeters in 2014
    The top 25 women writers and broadcasters working in Ireland, ranked by followers
    http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/top-25-irish-women-tweeters-in-2014-1.2045556
    (Ok, not exactly the most important thing but a lot of things like this can add up).

maybe

(Ok, not exactly the most important thing but a lot of things like this can add up).

For anyone who's curious, our Una's at no. 11.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

The girls in the last office I worked in used to go on and on about how women were discriminated against and how they could do anything a man could...until it came time to take out the recycling paper boxes at which point it automatically became my job to do it because "you're a man" or "Im a girl" or "I cant lift that" or some other such muck that would be met with outrage if I ever dared say it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

And that's the point isn't it. And it's almost every week now. It's either 'great women scientists', or 'great women businesswomen' or 'great women sportswomen' or 'great women writers' or 'great women painters' .... all purporting to be balancing the bias of men. But the reality is that this supposed imbalance has been balanced a LONG TIME AGO !

But it just keep pouring out the media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I tried to buy something from the food trolley on the train and was told that the service was over as he needed to be at the front of the train when it stopped. Tall blonde woman dressed nicely asks him not 30 seconds later and gets served. So I follow him down and ask again same answer, service is finished. :mad:

Before someone asks, the women only wanted pringles, I only wanted a chocolate bar, it's not like he had to stop to make me tea or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Garit I wouldnt have let that one slide. How bloody blatent

GarIT wrote: »
    I tried to buy something from the food trolley on the train and was told that the service was over as he needed to be at the front of the train when it stopped. Tall blonde woman dressed nicely asks him not 30 seconds later and gets served. So I follow him down and ask again same answer, service is finished. :mad:

Before someone asks, the women only wanted pringles, I only wanted a chocolate bar, it's not like he had to stop to make me tea or anything.

When will white knighting end!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Garit I wouldnt have let that one slide. How bloody blatent

I normally wouldn't have either. I needed to get some work done and it happened to a couple of other guys and nobody said anything so I just left it. I didn't want to be delayed getting off the train and meeting the GFs parents either.

He looked at me and I could see he acknowledged what he had done. It would probably be best to email his boss rather then argue in a crowd of people with someone who clearly doesn't care.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

You can submit a complaint through here
    http://www.irishrail.ie/contact-us/customer-service-section

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭ALiasEX

If an ugly woman had asked would he have served her? Edit: And maybe he would have served a hotter guy.

Either way, it does warrant complaint.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Be ready for the international uproar
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-30666011

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

No
    Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Be ready for the international uproar
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-30666011

can't wait for the hashtag from michelle obama and various other celeb twitteratti or maybe these lives just aren't politically fashionable enough to start a campaign over - good old dispensable men, nothing to see here! Lets focus on a scientist's shirt or a woman being told to have a nice day while walking down the street, you know like the really important blood-boiling stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭newport2

http://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2014/12/06/no-matter-what-jackie-said-we-should-automatically-believe-rape-claims/

"We should believe, as a matter of default, what an accuser says. Ultimately, the costs of wrongly disbelieving a survivor far outweigh the costs of calling someone a rapist. Even if Jackie fabricated her account, U-Va. should have taken her word for it during the period while they endeavored to prove or disprove the accusation. This is not a legal argument about what standards we should use in the courts; it’s a moral one, about what happens outside the legal system."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

newport2 wrote: »
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2014/12/06/no-matter-what-jackie-said-we-should-automatically-believe-rape-claims/

"We should believe, as a matter of default, what an accuser says. Ultimately, the costs of wrongly disbelieving a survivor far outweigh the costs of calling someone a rapist. Even if Jackie fabricated her account, U-Va. should have taken her word for it during the period while they endeavored to prove or disprove the accusation. This is not a legal argument about what standards we should use in the courts; it’s a moral one, about what happens outside the legal system."
    It's so ridiculous! Social Justic Warriors (because that's the way all the toxic feminists have gone) want the accused to prove he didn't rape her rather than the other way around. The burden of proof should always be on the person making the claim (ya know, the scientific way and the way law has been for years) instead of the person who is about to have their life turned upside down by the mere accusation of raping someone. It's not fair!

In other news
    http://www.newrepublic.com/article/120653/nerd-entitlement-lets-men-ignore-racism-and-sexism
    These are curious times. Gender and privilege and power and technology are changing and changing each other. We've also had a major and specific reversal of social fortunes in the past 30 years. Two generations of boys who grew up at the lower end of the violent hierarchy of toxic masculinity—the losers, the nerds, the ones who were afraid of being creeps—have reached adulthood and found the polarity reversed. Suddenly they're the ones with the power and the social status. Science is a way that shy, nerdy men pull themselves out of the horror of their teenage years. That is true. That is so. But shy, nerdy women have to try to pull themselves out of that same horror into a world that hates, fears and resents them because they are women, and to a certain otherwise very intelligent sub-set of nerdy men, the category "woman" is defined primarily as "person who might or might not deny me sex, love and affection."

I have never read such drivel in all my life. SJWs have given up on winning gamergate so they have gone to attack what they see as "the source" to claim victory. It's fcuking nasty and horrible. As a nerd I have never blamed women for anything that happened to me in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Jesus Christ! That is shocking.

donfers wrote: »
    can't wait for the hashtag from michelle obama and various other celeb twitteratti

Probably just a busy news day. I am sure there will be an outcry soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

This demonstrates the current state of feminist choke hold on the media. The Guardian is of the same mind, broadly. And other media outlets across the UK.

Lazy indifferent men are the cause of abandoning the public square on this topic.

Men who are wilfully blind and men unwilling to speak out is what has brought this appalling and shocking situation about. It is no longer enough, imho, to blame feminists.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 194 ✭✭GalwayGuitar

Ha ha she gets her argument nicely destroyed in one of the comments

MalvolioSF
    12/16/2014 1:07 AM GMT
    Ozie Powell, Emmett Till, Leo Frank, and Kobe Bryant would all like to have a word with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Should have posted the first sentence of the next paragraph. It really is "Jesus H F*cking Christ" stuff ...

It's just .. it's not even disturbing; it's way, way, way beyond that point.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

maybe
    That "article" is truly unreal for me. If it was an Onion piece I'd be shaking my head. If it was on Jezebel I'd be thinking WTF, even beyond their usual "check your privilege" tripe, but this is the Washington post, a publication of repute and standing. Unreal.

Oh and she repeats the utter nonsense and demonstrably so of the "1 in 4", though it's more latterly the "1 in 5". How's that work then? I suppose if one is pulling stats out ones fundament going up or down a number is OK.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Lemming wrote: »
    Should have posted the first sentence of the next paragraph. It really is "Jesus H F*cking Christ" stuff ...

It's just .. it's not even disturbing; it's way, way, way beyond that point.

Bloody hell you are not kidding
    The accused would have a rough period. He might be suspended from his job; friends might defriend him on Facebook. In the case of Bill Cosby, we might have to stop watching his shows, consuming his books or buying tickets to his traveling stand-up routine. But false accusations are exceedingly rare, and errors can be undone by an investigation that clears the accused, especially if it is done quickly.

maybe
    Why does the possibility of being defriended from Facebook appear in the list of immediate consequences? Surely someone accused of rape would have much bigger things to worry about than their friends list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

No
    It is there to trivialise the consequences of false rape allegations.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

maybe
    psinno wrote: »
    It is there to trivialise the consequences of false rape allegations.
    or P for these type of narcissistic eejits who buy into this guff, being "defriended" from Arsebook is a terrible consequence.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

so this is an ad in sweeden...would love to see the uproar with the roles reversed

maybe
    B6rTILKCUAAkvSZ.jpg

maybe
    Sexism against men isn't a thing, apparantly. Intel agrees:

B6uaEwZCEAA20mv.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

No

I wonder where I left my copy of 1984.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭newport2

B6uaEwZCEAA20mv.jpg

So there's no such thing as a woman with power who is prejudiced?

It's the infantile assumption that because collectively on a global scale men have more power than women, then all men have power and no women do that kills me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,709 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Why does sexism have to be a bad trait? Can't stand the sexes constantly trying to become equals. They're not, and never will be. Let it go. Embrace the differences and at times, embrace sexism.

Like yesterday I was accused of sexism because I didn''t apply the same force when sparring a woman as when sparring a man. I should have been bloody applauded, not accused of being sexist! I didn't take offence by the way. It was a polite accusation!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

I heard a stat from a person involved in a rape crisis centre abroad. Of the 515 cases they've been involved with, only 4 of them have been confirmed as truth

maybe
    I heard a stat from a person involved in a rape crisis centre abroad. Of the 515 cases they've been involved with, only 4 of them have been confirmed as truth

I don't believe that for a second.

• Advertisement

maybe
    +1000. I find that extremely difficult to believe. 5-10% maybe, but nowhere near that number.

Advertisement