Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

question about night meters

Options
  • 17-04-2021 2:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I have a night meter installed in my house. I thought night rates applied to all electricity during night hours, but I've noticed this isn't the case. I think it only applies to my storage heater, the cooker and anything plugged into the wall sockets is billed on the day rate. Is it possible to get the night rate for the entire house? and what does the process involve? do they need to install a new meter? do they need to go through the house and open up the walls? I'm not willing to get a "smart meter" installed if that's the only option. it would be perfect if they could send someone out to tinker with the current night meter or fuse box or whatever so that my plug-in electrical heaters for the bedrooms were billed at the night time rate but I imagine there's more to it than that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ttrreeww

I am with Electric Ireland by the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Extra user.

That sounds like separate NSH metering

Cheaper rate for the storage heaters only

You would need a REC to do that,I wouldn't be in a hurry before comparing the rates , separate NSH was usually a good arrangement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

If you have separate Night Storage Heating (NSH), you could probably opt to have your 24hr meter replaced with a dual tariff version. This should be free of charge and is carried out by ESB Networks on behalf of your electricity supplier.

Two things;
    You will need to check if your supplier can support dual tariff metering alongside NSH. I doubt it’s a common combination.

You also need to check if it is in your interest to do so, as there will be a charge to revert it to 24Hr. The downside of dual tariff metering is that you pay a higher day rate and higher standing charge. Given that you already have NSH metered separately, I would suspect that the additional costs of dual tariff (if available) will exceed the benefit.

Advertisement