Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda recruitment

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 danb1707

Witcher wrote: »
    No difference, some just prefer the blue.

Strictly speaking it should be the yellow cover.

Ahhh okay, Is it optional or do they tell you which one to wear?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,519 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

danb1707 wrote: »
    Ahhh okay, Is it optional or do they tell you which one to wear?

Well you only get issued the Hi viz one and you're meant to wear that. Depends on your superiors whether they'll make an issue of it.

I honestly prefer the high-vis yellow one appearance wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 danb1707

Witcher wrote: »
    Well you only get issued the Hi viz one and you're meant to wear that. Depends on your superiors whether they'll make an issue of it.

Sorry for all the questions, I’m planning on doing a 1 year course, Do you know if I will be eligible to join the Reserves while doing the course ?

danb1707 wrote: »
    Sorry for all the questions, I’m planning on doing a 1 year course, Do you know if I will be eligible to join the Reserves while doing the course ?

There hasn't been a recruitment campaign for the Garda Reserve in years, I wouldn't be banking on one anytime soon tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

Quick question, I'm 34 years of age and want to be a Guard. I've not done any of the stages though and realise you must be under 35 years of age when applying which gives me less than 12 months before my next birthday to sit the exams, medical etc...

Would there still be enough time to apply given the current rate of recruitment?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Righty

Omega28 wrote: »
    Quick question, I'm 34 years of age and want to be a Guard. I've not done any of the stages though and realise you must be under 35 years of age when applying which gives me less than 12 months before my next birthday to sit the exams, medical etc...

Would there still be enough time to apply given the current rate of recruitment?

I believe the cut off age goes by the date of your application, I might be wrong though. I don't think there's going to be another recruitment drive until late this year/ early next year aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭ussrsoviet

Plenty of time , there’s envisaged to be a drive in quarter 4 of this year it was said in the dáil, and you just need to be under 35 by the date of the closing of the recruitment drive , you can sit the relevant stages over the age of 35

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

ussrsoviet wrote: »
    Plenty of time , there’s envisaged to be a drive in quarter 4 of this year it was said in the dáil, and you just need to be under 35 by the date of the closing of the recruitment drive , you can sit the relevant stages over the age of 35

That's great news because I'm 35 in January of nexty year so I'm nervous I'll be too old.

That's great news because I'm 35 in January of nexty year so I'm nervous I'll be too old.

I'm 33 myself so can relate to that feeling. Its highly likely you will get you shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭PCO2019

Hi folks,

I’m considering becoming a Guard & the main concern I have is where I could be based (obv I have to make it through all the stages first) but if I were successful would there be any scope for me to be based near Limerick (I am from Limerick) I have a mortgage and a four year old at home. A friend of mine told me that I can submit a welfare case when I’m in training & fingers crossed I could end up in Ennis, nenagh, Charleville etc. I was also told I can’t be within 80km of my home address. Does anyone have any experience in dealing with a situation like this ? I realistically can’t be in Dublin and pay rent and a mortgage. Thanks

PCO2019 wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I’m considering becoming a Guard & the main concern I have is where I could be based (obv I have to make it through all the stages first) but if I were successful would there be any scope for me to be based near Limerick (I am from Limerick) I have a mortgage and a four year old at home. A friend of mine told me that I can submit a welfare case when I’m in training & fingers crossed I could end up in Ennis, nenagh, Charleville etc. I was also told I can’t be within 80km of my home address. Does anyone have any experience in dealing with a situation like this ? I realistically can’t be in Dublin and pay rent and a mortgage. Thanks

That's a common concern for applicants in your situation, but unfortunately the answer is always a little vague, not because people don't wish to help, but because there isnt much clarity as to under what merit each situation is judged.

To try and answer your question, your situation will be taken into account where possible, and the liklihood of being sent to the opposite end of the Country when you have a young family is slim, though the possibility does still exist.

I don't know how often people get what they wish for in terms of being stationed when they have these circumstances, so perhaps some of the others can speak to that.

The 80k limit with regard to your home address sounds excessive, and I don't know if such resitrictions are in place anymore, I heard recently they are not, but that was hearsay, as so much of this stuff is I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Collinsb10

Hi folks,

I know plenty who are within 40km of their home address.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Hopeful12

I believe the exception to the rule is the 4 main cities. Dublin,Cork, Galway and Limerick. You can supposedly be based in those cities and be from there.
    Again this is vague and only a recent thing (other than Dublin). With the recent "covid cohorts", I do know of people still based where they are from so hopefully they are starting to relax the locations!

I personally think it should be like the US model of state police or state troopers. You join and get shipped somewhere well away from home, serve a couple of years and when trust is earned you are sent back home. Sounds like a nice trade off.

Zux wrote: »
    That's a common concern for applicants in your situation, but unfortunately the answer is always a little vague, not because people don't wish to help, but because there isnt much clarity as to under what merit each situation is judged.

To try and answer your question, your situation will be taken into account where possible, and the liklihood of being sent to the opposite end of the Country when you have a young family is slim, though the possibility does still exist.

I don't know how often people get what they wish for in terms of being stationed when they have these circumstances, so perhaps some of the others can speak to that.

The 80k limit with regard to your home address sounds excessive, and I don't know if such resitrictions are in place anymore, I heard recently they are not, but that was hearsay, as so much of this stuff is I'm afraid.

Thanks a mill for the response, I never received a notification last night (new to boards) but fair play coming back to me so fast.

Hopeful12 wrote: »
    I believe the exception to the rule is the 4 main cities. Dublin,Cork, Galway and Limerick. You can supposedly be based in those cities and be from there.
    Again this is vague and only a recent thing (other than Dublin). With the recent "covid cohorts", I do know of people still based where they are from so hopefully they are starting to relax the locations!

I personally think it should be like the US model of state police or state troopers. You join and get shipped somewhere well away from home, serve a couple of years and when trust is earned you are sent back home. Sounds like a nice trade off.

My background is finance but Covid has made me re-evaluate the choice I have made to pursue a career in accounting (one exam until I qualify). I am attracted to the guards because of the practicality and dynamic environment they operate in and as I said above the main concern I have is if I would be stationed in the back arse of no where and not within a commuting distance of my home because I know you can’t stick in a transfer until you’re in the role two years. It seems like a big risk to take 🀦ðŸ¼*♂️.

Thanks a mill for the response, I never received a notification last night (new to boards) but fair play coming back to me so fast.

No bother at all, happy tp help.

My background is finance but Covid has made me re-evaluate the choice I have made to pursue a career in accounting (one exam until I qualify). I am attracted to the guards because of the practicality and dynamic environment they operate in and as I said above the main concern I have is if I would be stationed in the back arse of no where and not within a commuting distance of my home because I know you can’t stick in a transfer until you’re in the role two years. It seems like a big risk to take ��ðŸ¼*♂️.

I'm giving up a successful career myself (Cybersecurity) to pursue the job also. I've realized in the last few years, being stuck inside a corporate environment all day isn't fulfilling enough for me, so can relate to how you feel there.

As regards the risk, from what I can tell reading through so much of the information on here over the past 2 years or so, its pretty common that peopl with young families are accomodated to some degree. While its certainly a risk you may not get the station you want, my sense of it is its rare for you to be moved far from home with a new family to care for.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Itainire

Lads does anybody know when next recruitment will be ?? I read Q4 of this year.. I was hoping sooner than that to be honest.. does anybody have good news for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 hollyc11

Can I ask where you read Q4? Since it's been an over a year I was hoping May / June

Q4 this year as per a Dail question.

• Advertisement

hollyc11 wrote: »
    Can I ask where you read Q4? Since it's been an over a year I was hoping May / June

https://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2021-03-24a.3208&s=Garda+Trainee+Competition#g3210.r

• Registered Users Posts: 7 RMOT

Hi guys. Some great info on these threads. I’m just curious, we’ve all read that there is a target of 620 new recruits for 2021. 450 of that are actually from previous campaigns that are heading for Garda training throughout the remaining this year. I wonder are the remaining 170 positions going to be filled with candidates from previous campaigns or will there be a brand new recruitment campaign launched this year for people hoping to apply?

RMOT wrote: »
    Hi guys. Some great info on these threads. I’m just curious, we’ve all read that there is a target of 620 new recruits for 2021. 450 of that are actually from previous campaigns that are heading for Garda training throughout the remaining this year. I wonder are the remaining 170 positions going to be filled with candidates from previous campaigns or will there be a brand new recruitment campaign launched this year for people hoping to apply?

New Garda Trainee Competition slated for Q4 of this year.

Reference: https://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/...tition#g3210.r

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Physeter

Zux wrote: »
    No bother at all, happy tp help.

I'm giving up a successful career myself (Cybersecurity) to pursue the job also. I've realized in the last few years, being stuck inside a corporate environment all day isn't fulfilling enough for me, so can relate to how you feel there.

As regards the risk, from what I can tell reading through so much of the information on here over the past 2 years or so, its pretty common that peopl with young families are accomodated to some degree. While its certainly a risk you may not get the station you want, my sense of it is its rare for you to be moved far from home with a new family to care for.

Same boat here.

There are parts of me I feel that are completely wasted working exclusively within an office environment. When you figure making fantastic money isn't a prerogative for you, climbing the tech ladder becomes vapid fast.

The next recruitment drive can't come quick enough. Hopefully I'll get to meet a few of you along the way.

Physeter wrote: »

The next recruitment drive can't come quick enough. Hopefully I'll get to meet a few of you along the way.

Absolutely, likewise !

• Registered Users Posts: 32 JustThisGuy

The next recruitment drive can't come quick enough. Hopefully I'll get to meet a few of you along the way.[/QUOTE]

Fingers crossed we all do!

Advertisement