Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing meter box

Options
  • 11-04-2021 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hi,
    I have one of those standard white plastic meter boxes, for both my electricity and gas meters.

I have noticed that both the white plastic is getting very dirty and hard to clean as yeard pass, also, on the electricity box, there is some sort of cork or other organic material in the back of the box, where the meter is actually installed against, which is falling apart, and creating some sort of white mold around the actual meter.

I was thinking about replacing this box with something like a metal box which is flushed in the wall. The question is what kind of trade should I be looking for to do this work?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

It would fall within the remit of an electrical contractor.
    But be warned that it may be a bigger job than you might imagine - ESB networks involvement will be required to disconnect the equipment and reinstall in new cabinet.
    I’m not sure of the requirement for re-certification of your electrical installation for these works - If this is required it could highlight / require additional works within the house itself.

Some less invasive options may be to consider replacing the meter cabinet door, which should be very straightforward.

On the issue of rotting cork/chipboard you could notify ESB networks that their meter / cutout is falling off and see what the reaction is. They may come out and fix it- I have seen them replacing meter cabinet doors and similar works in the past which wouldn’t really have been their responsibility. So they might be helpful on this one.

I’m referring to the electricity one. But I think you would be looking at a similar separate route for the gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Cerco

larbakium wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have one of those standard white plastic meter boxes, for both my electricity and gas meters.

I have noticed that both the white plastic is getting very dirty and hard to clean as yeard pass, also, on the electricity box, there is some sort of cork or other organic material in the back of the box, where the meter is actually installed against, which is falling apart, and creating some sort of white mold around the actual meter.

I was thinking about replacing this box with something like a metal box which is flushed in the wall. The question is what kind of trade should I be looking for to do this work?

With the smart meter roll out ESB Networks should fix the meter mounting board when replacing the meter. Try to find out when you might be scheduled

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭larbakium

Thank you both for your comments.

I haven't thought about the potential issue with the recertification, reinstall... yes it could be a major thing.
    I will ring ESB and check that out. It's funny that the meter boxes have a statement in them saying that they are ownership and responsibility of the house owner but yet nothing can be done with them (except door replacement :)

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

larbakium wrote: »
    Hi,

Last year we did sand them down and repainted them with polyester paint , paint they usually use on boats
    Nephew did 6 years ago the same and still looks good

Advertisement