Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Free AV for WinXP laptop

Options
  • 06-04-2014 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,750 ✭✭✭✭

My laptop is old at this stage but I would like to manage away with until next year if I can and then upgrade/

It uses Windows XP and I currently use MS Essentials as my AV but both are out of support in the next few days.

What are my best free/cheap options?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Avast is the best free antivirus I've used, AVG also good. Just make sure you go into settings in Avast once you've installed it and put it into silent/gaming mode. Otherwise the Avast popups will drive you mental! Good product though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭SamAK

AVG works fine for me.

I also periodically scan with Malwarebytes - https://www.malwarebytes.org/

and clean out browser cache/history/recycle bin with CCleaner - https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

I''ve used this combination for years on many different systems and it's never failed.

CCleaner isn't AV. Like the name suggests it cleans, and does make quite a difference on slower machines. After two weeks of laptop use I usually delete about 1GB of crap like website cookies, temporary internet files and browser history. I highly recommend running it at least once. Also has a program uninstall feature and a list of start-up programs so you can choose what runs when you turn the computer on. May help drastically improve boot times! It also securely deletes stuff from recycle bin, and you can set it to do multiple runs for a thorough deep clean!

Malwarebytes regularly detects and deletes things that AVG doesn't detect, and vice versa. So I'm quite content using them both in rotation!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,750 ✭✭✭✭phog

Thanks for your replies.

Another question - should I just disable ( switch off MSE) or delete the programme?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Yeah, never use two antivirus programs on the same machine. So I would remove MSE if you are using Avast. Use Avast along with Malwarebytes malware scanner and you're set. XP still wont be secure, but thats another conversation!

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭aabarnes1

I did use MSE in combination with Malwarebytes but found that MSE did not remove or find all threats.
    I now use AVG, TFC(file cleaner), C Cleaner, Malwarebytes and Adaware, periodically and i have had no issues since using this combination.

• Advertisement
Advertisement