Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

firing pellets at trains?

Options
  • 15-02-2019 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭

So someone from work coming back from limerick yesterday had what they think was a pellet used to hit their window soon after pulling out of the station, had a picture and all. They were a bit shaken, another passenger might have reported it later. Jesus is this a thing now?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

silverharp wrote: »
    So someone from work coming back from limerick yesterday had what they think was a pellet used to hit their window soon after pulling out of the station, had a picture and all. They were a bit shaken, another passenger might have reported it later. Jesus is this a thing now?

Stones, bricks, metal, catapults and pellets, anything they can get their hands on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Well it is limerick, after all

Was on the Sligo train a lot years ago and coming into Dublin windows would be regularly smashed in even injuring people.

Usually fields near housing estates.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Was on the Sligo train a lot years ago and coming into Dublin windows would be regularly smashed in even injuring people.

Broomebridge I assume?

Mad place, was on the train one day and some lunatic smashed a window with a golf club for no reason. Another time a bloke threw a push bike at the train.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I was on the train going through broombridge a few years back, evening heading towards the city center.

Bang. Big rock and Window cracked right beside me. But shaken but carried on. Coming back from the city later - bang - window beside me gets a wallop and cracks again. Maybe it was just me?

• Advertisement

Keyzer wrote: »
    Broomebridge I assume?

Mad place, was on the train one day and some lunatic smashed a window with a golf club for no reason. Another time a bloke threw a push bike at the train.

Most likely alright.

I remember one where I was only young and on my own coming back from my grandad and the girl in next row was cut up very bad, bathroom window, and door taken also on the one carriage, I didn't see the rest.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Broombridge was even skipped at night to allow trains to pass at speed and be more difficult targets for some years. Irish Rail were ridiculously late in actually providing PDF timetables rather than a search interface so I can't check archive.org to see when it stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

ED E wrote: »

I seem to remember the lights being switched off as the train went through Broombridge. This would've been early 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

L1011 wrote: »
    Broombridge was even skipped at night to allow trains to pass at speed and be more difficult targets for some years. Irish Rail were ridiculously late in actually providing PDF timetables rather than a search interface so I can't check archive.org to see when it stopped.

I think that was lack of demand. Ashtown was also skipped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I remember when I was about 14 I was on a train from Connolly to Balbriggan passing near Howth Junction. A kid threw a fairly sizeable stone / rock, that hit the window right beside where I was leaning my head. My head was ringing for about 30minutes. It was one of the push n pulls which seemed to have double glazing or fairly thick glass. I remember vividly thinking if it had been one of the cravens coaches, I may have been picking glass out of my brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

fxotoole wrote: »

Seriously :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Stone throwing has been widespread across the CIE rail system for decades - particular blackspots were Liffey Junction; Ballyfermot; Howth Junction/Kilbarrack; Shanganagh; Carrick-on- Suir; near Limerick station; Kilbarry. Nearly forgot, the Battery area of Athlone (west of the MGWR station) was always bad too.

At least trains today are double glazed which was far from the case back in the 1980s with the laminates and ex.AEC railcars used on the push-pulls. Like so much else on CIE/IE very little is ever done about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Praetorian wrote: »
    I remember when I was about 14 I was on a train from Connolly to Balbriggan passing near Howth Junction. A kid threw a fairly sizeable stone / rock, that hit the window right beside where I was leaning my head. My head was ringing for about 30minutes. It was one of the push n pulls which seemed to have double glazing or fairly thick glass. I remember vividly thinking if it had been one of the cravens coaches, I may have been picking glass out of my brain.

Cravens were also double glazed.

Older coaches, built up to 1963, were single glazed, and very prone to damage from stone throwers.

I remember on the Western rail corridor, the guard telling passengers to move to the other side of the train, near the Shannon bridge at Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

I was on a train to Maynooth back in late October, my carriage was hit with rocks just west of Louisa Bridge, by an estate with a bit of wasteland. A big group of kids had a fire going and were throwing rocks. Luckily they hit the steel rather than the window, and there were only two of us in the carriage. Still shows how easy it is for young teenagers to disrupt a railway, should be more done by Gardai to stop this kind of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭BlackandGreen

Grew up in a rough area.

Used to fúck everything at trains as a child. Spent a lot of time hanging out near the train tracks, as it was the go to for dozens upon dozens of kids and teenagers where I grew up.
    Stones, muck, rocks, pennies on the line, bricks on the line, ropes stretched across the tracks.
    Remember one particular kid stopped a train once with cinder blocks on the tracks.

Long time ago. Please don't give me a big boards.ie style boring lecture because it's going to fall upon deaf ears. The vast majority of us grew up to be normal functioning adults and wouldn't dream of doing anything like that now.
    It was just one of the many acts of vandalism that was part and parcel of growing up in a rough area. There was a lot worse things done to other places/people.

I'm not defending it, but pellets arent exactly anything to worry about though, are they? I know its wrong but a little pellet gun isnt going to do anything to a train.
    I'd say all the birds, dogs, and other animals they wallop would do more damage.

I remember reading about a train driver injured when a rock smashed through the front windshield a couple years ago and did serious damage. Made me angry tbh. Hate hearing about these things but as a kid in these area's, we knew no different nor did anybody care.
    If you didn't grow up in a disadvantaged area it's hard for you to understand the mindset.

It's nothing new, infact I'd hazard a guess it's happening a lot less than it used to in the 90's when I grew up.
    It's not something unique to Ireland either.
    Hell in the USA trains arrive full of bullet holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

fxotoole wrote: »

It’s not Limerick!

As someone who had went to university, lived and worked in Limerick over the last 10 years and travel there regularly by train I’ve never seen this happen. It’s not utopia for sure but nobody has ever stole anything belonging to me said a bad word. Never felt threatened or intimidated by anyone in that city.

ASB happens all the time too in the large towns nearby Thurles, Ennis, Nenagh etc and it doesn’t make it on to boards.ie

I’m assuming you’re not even from Limerick?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Grew up in a rough area.

Used to fúck everything at trains as a child. Spent a lot of time hanging out near the train tracks, as it was the go to for dozens upon dozens of kids and teenagers where I grew up.
    Stones, muck, rocks, pennies on the line, bricks on the line, ropes stretched across the tracks.
    Remember one particular kid stopped a train once with cinder blocks on the tracks.

Long time ago. Please don't give me a big boards.ie style boring lecture because it's going to fall upon deaf ears. The vast majority of us grew up to be normal functioning adults and wouldn't dream of doing anything like that now.
    It was just one of the many acts of vandalism that was part and parcel of growing up in a rough area. There was a lot worse things done to other places/people.

I'm not defending it, but pellets arent exactly anything to worry about though, are they? I know its wrong but a little pellet gun isnt going to do anything to a train.
    I'd say all the birds, dogs, and other animals they wallop would do more damage.

I remember reading about a train driver injured when a rock smashed through the front windshield a couple years ago and did serious damage. Made me angry tbh. Hate hearing about these things but as a kid in these area's, we knew no different nor did anybody care.
    If you didn't grow up in a disadvantaged area it's hard for you to understand the mindset.

It's nothing new, infact I'd hazard a guess it's happening a lot less than it used to in the 90's when I grew up.
    It's not something unique to Ireland either.
    Hell in the USA trains arrive full of bullet holes.

i grew up posh :pac: , i remember putting coins on the line (pre Dart) and small stones to see what would happen. a few times a bunch of us threw clay balls at a train but we wouldnt have dreamed to actually cause any damage

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Salmon Leap

man98 wrote: »
    I was on a train to Maynooth back in late October, my carriage was hit with rocks just west of Louisa Bridge, by an estate with a bit of wasteland. A big group of kids had a fire going and were throwing rocks. Luckily they hit the steel rather than the window, and there were only two of us in the carriage. Still shows how easy it is for young teenagers to disrupt a railway, should be more done by Gardai to stop this kind of thing.

THat's LoughnaMona Estate, can be a mad place, allegedly the Gardaí don't like going in there either.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I think it is much less of a problem these days likely because of external CCTV on most of the fleet.

OP you should let them know which service it was.

• Advertisement

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    I think it is much less of a problem these days likely because of external CCTV on most of the fleet.

OP you should let them know which service it was.

CCTV ain't going to catch them in the dead of night in fields.

Sure I remember unfortunately many occasions them mooning also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I seem to remember hearing about a Dart that was derailed on Bray head by someone throwing a rock on the line. Thankfully no was injured.

Advertisement