Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dublin Coach Experience

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

The vanhool would be in ok shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Has anyone had any trouble with Dublin coach services not showing up at all ?

I ask because our company has taken on over 20 drivers from Dublin coach but also another company is taken over 40 drivers from Dublin coach (go ahead)

I'm just waiting to see if this will have an impact on services not having drivers

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭soundman45

I ask because our company has taken on over 20 drivers from Dublin coach but also another company is taken over 40 drivers from Dublin coach (go ahead)

I'm just waiting to see if this will have an impact on services not having drivers
    Don't think go ahead have recruited any drivers yet let alone 40 from any one company.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

soundman45 wrote: »

Don't think go ahead have recruited any drivers yet let alone 40 from any one company.
    Not due to start until November so id say your right

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Does Dublin Coach run as per normal on St Patrick's Day?

I'd say the tow-truck companies around the country are praying that Dublin Coach are running (Or not) on st Patrick's day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JeffK88

I wonder if Flixbus would have any interest in taking over any routes. Similar low cost model although much ..much better fleet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

Drove past their depot in Knockmitten on Friday and the place looked like a scrap yard.

Bus out on the road with the whole front gone from underneath the windscreen.

Apologies for the large pics, if someone knows how to make them smaller please help me out and tell me how to :)

Was passing myself today..... if there are that many buses parked up, how are they making money :eek:

57LTYoU.jpg

BlDTq6T.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

This post has been deleted.

Are they parked on a public road ?. How the fluk are they allowed get away with that?.
    That looks like the most inept company in the country. Not even the slightest bit of pride. Trump would be better off calling that place a sith-hole.

• Advertisement

It's in an industrial estate to which the public have full access, so i would say it is a public road as there is no warnings that i can remember saying 'you are now entering private property'

Shocking looking outfit.

Are they parked on a public road ?. How the fluk are they allowed get away with that?.
    That looks like the most inept company in the country. Not even the slightest bit of pride. Trump would be better off calling that place a sith-hole.

The buses in the 1st picture are parked in a dead end but there is access to the back of Harris Trucks there.

The second picture they are on the main road, cause a constant headache especially for trucks if they are trying to pass at the same time.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Was passing myself today..... if there are that many buses parked up, how are they making money :eek:

Not at all defending them, but every major bus and coach company has a few older coaches parked up as standby's to fill in if another breaks down or extra demand comes up. Plus a few would always be out for maintenance.

Go to any Dublin Bus depot between the morning and evening peaks and you will see a wall of yellow as only 40% of their fleet operates off peak. Even on-peak they still have a bunch of old buses sitting around as backups or waiting to be sold on, etc.

BTW If this is an industrial estate, then it is most likely a private road, most industrial estates are, even if it isn't sign posted as such.

bk wrote: »

Go to any Dublin Bus depot between the morning and evening peaks and you will see a wall of yellow as only 40% of their fleet operates off peak.

At least they aren't parked on the main road causing hassle for trucks and others trying to make their way around :D

Not 100% certain but I think Western Industrial Estate is a public one.

Even during the recent snow the roads in that estate were gritted and cleared, where the roads in the industrial estate I work in on the opposite side of the road were not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Here's the place on Google Streetview outside you can an ex Aircoach Setra with a bit of type holding it together looks to be a 'new' delivery to their "state of the art fleet".

https://goo.gl/maps/a1tMMit3NJK2

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

That one has since been repainted white, think it was the last Setra they had from Aircoach, C47.

The Aircoach depot looks a more civilised affair!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,880 ✭✭✭patrickc

I was on a BE bus today which was stopped at the Red Cow and couldn't move while the DC 09 ex megabus was loading up as he wasn't parked in the bay properly. The BE driver was muttering that this is the same every time and they never park properly.

I was watching the bus negotiate the roundabout in front of us to where they park it was fairly tight, the driver looked like he was finding it hard to manoeuvre it. they're a fair big machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

patrickc wrote: »
    I was on a BE bus today which was stopped at the Red Cow and couldn't move while the DC 09 ex megabus was loading up as he wasn't parked in the bay properly. The BE driver was muttering that this is the same every time and they never park properly.

I was watching the bus negotiate the roundabout in front of us to where they park it was fairly tight, the driver looked like he was finding it hard to manoeuvre it. they're a fair big machine.

As for usual any plans or engineer they never create enough safe space....

Fine for cars but big buses need room.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Shocking looking outfit.

Can't even get uniformity on the green.....bad reflection on the company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,944 ✭✭✭Patser

Seeing reports that their Ennis depot is in fire, with at least 1 new Tourismo gone in the blaze. Pictures up on Facebook

Patser wrote: »
    Seeing reports that their Ennis depot is in fire, with at least 1 new Tourismo gone in the blaze. Pictures up on Facebook

Do you have a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,944 ✭✭✭Patser

devnull wrote: »
    Do you have a link?

No, I'm not on Facebook, but in work here 2 others were showing me the pics and comments on their phones. I know not great to post vague hearsay, but figured others here with interest might see the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭bebeman

Was it the NTA that approved this Dublin Coach to operate?
    Wont look good for the NTA if they did sign off on this shambles, what standards are private operator held too, DB/BE would be hung drawn and quartered for half of what i read in this discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Two more broken down this week as well!

That's the second time they've been fined in front of them in recent months for issues in relation to adhering to regulations.
    bebeman wrote: »
    Was it the NTA that approved this Dublin Coach to operate?
    Wont look good for the NTA if they did sign off on this shambles, what standards are private operator held too, DB/BE would be hung drawn and quartered for half of what i read in this discussion.

The difference is the NTA are paying Dublin Bus to provide a service and contracting them so that would give them more power whereas the others are licensed operators. However it's not unreasonable to suggest that it would be possible to write into licensing guidelines that an operators record in relation to the Road Safety Authority should be taken into account.

Also on commercial routes I think it's unfair that the operators who play by the book always are being subjected to intense competition from Dublin Coach on some routes and being undercut. Whilst it's good to see them getting fined, the question has to be that as the fines are not exactly massive, if they are really big enough to act as a proper deterrent.
    Operators in breach of drivers’ hours requirements are also profiting from undercutting compliant operators and contributing to unfair competition in the road haulage industry.

That's a big issue for me too with this whole situation and instead of just fining non-compliant operators a small amount of money we should be threatening to revoke or limit their road passenger operating license.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

devnull wrote: »
    That's the second time they've been fined in front of them in recent months for issues in relation to adhering to regulations.

The difference is the NTA are paying Dublin Bus to provide a service and contracting them so that would give them more power whereas the others are licensed operators. However it's not unreasonable to suggest that it would be possible to write into licensing guidelines that an operators record in relation to the Road Safety Authority should be taken into account.

This is exactly the time-honoured situation in the United Kingdom,where the Traffic Commissioners perform a second line of compliance monitoring and dispense significant panalties for such non-compliance....However,we are,as a society,somewhat averse to this type of punishment based regulation...;)

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/traffic-commissioners
    Also on commercial routes I think it's unfair that the operators who play by the book always are being subjected to intense competition from Dublin Coach on some routes and being undercut. Whilst it's good to see them getting fined, the question has to be that as the fines are not exactly massive, if they are really big enough to act as a proper deterrent.

A significant part of the issue here,is the number of Operators "Playing by the Book",both on Service and Coaching work,may be FAR lower than you expect.
    That's a big issue for me too with this whole situation and instead of just fining non-compliant operators a small amount of money we should be threatening to revoke or limit their road passenger operating license.

To be fair,this issue exists across the Judicial spectrum in Ireland,with,almost a degree of regard given,to those who can amass triple digit convictions across many different areas of the Law.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Advertisement