Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Rail Jobs Discussion

Comments

Anyone who applied for the train host jobs in cork hear anything back? Apparently there's a host course starting in inchicore next Wednesday. Wednesday 1st November

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Thecallkid

• Registered Users Posts: 38 slowclap

You need to be able to be fast and accurate. Both together not one or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 margerine321

Hey. I got my contract last week with start date 31.10 but no other info about course or anything. I’ve heard course in on in cork but I’m not sure? Did your friend get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 klems

Same with me. Please any little tips would be of great value

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 klems

Hi Lacla

Thanks for your response. What would then be the next step after they respond to me.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Valhalla42

Hi Midlander I got to line manager interview last year and didn’t get through. In my rejection email it said if I want to be considered again I need to reapply to any new campaign. Did you get that email and who did you send an email to to get fast tracked?

Has anyone who applied for the driver recruitment heard nothing back after completing the online application? Not negative or positive?

When I applied the feedback was nearly instant, inviting me to the online assessments. A friend of mine applied yesterday morning and hasn’t heard back yet.

Should she send an email to someone? Who?

Yeah same thing which I did do but then I got onto the driver recruitment and HR and told them my position on what I failed on so I then avoided the assessment centre the 2nd time as my results were still valid

• Registered Users Posts: 23 yuppiaa

i got an instant email to say they were reviewing my results. did she receive this! Possibly wrong email put in?

• Advertisement

Nada. My email was instant too when I did it in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Valhalla42

Ok Midlander good to know thanks for that I’ll ask them are my results still valid. Cheers 👍🏼

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Designator

Heard nothing back since my final line manager interview about 6 weeks ago , wondering should I apply again for the driver positions or just wait? Didn’t get any rejection email or anything, just left waiting

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭jumpinjohnny85

I'm the very same. I think wait it out, no news seems to be good news by all accounts on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 JustAFunGuy23

Did you or anybody else ever hear back and actually get the job? Several month wait at this stage after an assessment test, two interviews and a passed medical. Rang to say I'd gotten the job then... nothing... they haven't responded to an email either. No problem waiting as long as it takes just never seen this before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 JustAFunGuy23

Is anybody who has been called and told they have a job, then subsequently heard nothing for months even after a follow up email that was not responded to, eventually gotten the role? Will wait as long as needed just wondering if anybody else has been in the same position but did then actually start with Irish Rail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 red_zary

hi,

so today I received email:

Thank you for completing your application with Iarnród Éireann Irish Rail for the role of Locomotive Driver. We have scored your online questionnaire and are pleased to inform you that you have met the standard Iarnród Éireann Irish Rail was looking for - congratulations.

You have now been invited to complete the miniSCAAT, Rules Acquisition Aptitude Test (RAAT) and the Locomotive Driver Situational Judgement Test (LD SJT).

I checked those practice tests and I think I'm missing something.

I don't have much knowledge about trains, policies, procedures.

I thought all training will be provided, but looking at tests I'm sure I have to know stuff.

Is there any handbook or manual with all the "what horn to use in certain situation or I don't know, what phone to use in case of emergency.

There's no way to pass those tests without basic knowledge.

Hi,

You don’t need to know anything about trains or driving them. You need to be able to read the information you’ve been given in the questions and use that info to answer the questions. It’s essentially reading comprehension and an assessment of your judgement skills in specific fictional situations.

Best of luck and don’t overthink it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I'm entirely getting ahead of myself here but can anyone tell me the starting salary and working hours for train drivers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

The RAAT has all the info that you need. You just need to be able to follow the instructions, and you don't really need any specific knowledge ahead of it.

MinSCAAT is similar, follow the instructions, but practice is recommended.

SJT doesn't require specific knowledge, but safety/following the rules is the number one concern. So answer with that in mind.

You won't be asked questions based on the rule book, or knowledge you haven't been given. That said, the rulebook is available on the Irish Rail website, and it tells you when you need to blow the horn, and how to make an emergency call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Rootsblower

Starting salary about 48k and when in the training school it’s generally Monday to Friday 9-5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Is that salary paid in the training school?

There isn't much detail on the site, how long do you spend in the school and where is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Rootsblower

Yes that’s the salary whilst in the training school.

Think school is about 5 months(not sure) was different when I done it.

School is either Inchicore or Mallow.

Six months in the school, approx, and same in depot with mentor drivers. Training salary is 48k.

Don't forget carvery lunch every day while in the training school. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭TheShepard

or sandwiches if your in mallow😂but they do that so you finish the day earlier!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Deedee27

So Just done the second part of the online assessments, really dont k ow how i did i answered all the questions on the RAAT assessment, but i feel i only got half way down the page for the SCAAT, the SJT i spent a good while with who esle on here feels how they did

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Earl22

When asked to provide references during the assessment stages how should they be submitted. Is it a matter of emailing the details to whomever or bringing along physical copies and handed over during interview e.g.?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 BarrowBoard

Reference requests will be the very last stage of the process. They'll contact you for the contact details of your referees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

There are a lot of retirees and a lot of the main stations are understaffed .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭romaderwdcsax

Hi all.

For anyone that has completed line manager interview stage for train driving role, just a quick question.

I had my line manager interview last week so I’m just wondering if you hear back whether you were successful or not first or is it a case you need to complete medical and then hear if you were successful or not? I.e is medical and interview scored together or both scored separately? I never asked at the end of the interview.

Thanks in advance.

I actually had medical before my line manager interview, so I'm not sure if they are scored together or if it's a separate stage.

Hi there.

For me I had my medical complete and knew I passed it on the day.then I done my interview September time from memory and then got a phone call about 4 weeks later to offer me a position on a class starting just over 3 weeks after. But some people who got interviewed same time as me are still waiting so depends on your depot etc but the longer it takes to hear something the better it is in my opinion

It’s all separate.

I had my medical before my line manager interview. Seems to depend on availability?

I think that if you’ve had your line manager interview and then get called for a medical it probably means you were successful in the interview..? Maybe? 🤔

Post edited by slowclap on

I was told i should hear in about 3 weeks on the outcome of the interview.

I just hope that I get the yes or no from the interview stage 1st, instead of needing to complete the medical and then get told I didn’t meet the requirements of scoring enough marks at the interview.

Overall it’s been a massive experience for me personally, from the initial online assessment to the line manager interview.

Agree with you thoroughly, it's been a great experience. I'm waiting about 7 weeks now since my line manager interview to hear anything. They told me 3 weeks as well.

I applied for Dublin, where have you applied for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 magi2407

Thanks a lot for the reply Will do

Applied for Cork.

At the previous online interview about the 16pf I was told I should hear back in 2 weeks, took 2 months 😀, so I won’t be one bit surprised if it’s after Christmas before I hear back.

The girl from HR said no news is good news so hopefully if you’re waiting 7 weeks then you were successful.

Fingers crossed 🤞

Best of luck with it, hope you hear about the medical soon.

Keep us posted on your progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Designator

I applied for cork, had my medical a week before my final interview, final interview was about 2 months ago now and havent heard anything still so just hoping its a case of being on a waiting list , hopefully wont be waiting too much longer to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 recruit1994

Hi All,

I just completed the online assessments RAAT SCAAT etc.

how long after completing those are you generally made aware of results or feedback?

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 BuzzyBee303

Hi!

Just wondering if anyone has made it as far as the medical, been referred back to your GP about something relatively minor, and still been offered a job/spot on a panel? Am I out?

A couple people I know have had to get follow up letters from GP or hospital about stuff, and got through.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 johnny1000

Hi,

Has anyone heard back since completing online assessment for station operative?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 BuzzyBee303

Thanks so much! I was starting to get paranoid about it. Overthinking etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭gazzac

I emailed the and they replied that they have not got a time frame to which they will be inviting to the nxt stage

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Earl22

Do trainees from well outside Dublin, down the country e.g., that have to attend training school in inchicore where it's not possible to travel up and back daily, is there an accommodation setup for them or would they have to source their own? Sourcing and maintaining accommodation might not be viable for some successful applicants. Shame to go through all the stages successfully and then find you can't attend because of rental availability or rental costs reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭TheShepard

There are two school locations, Mallow and Inchicore. If you are close you can commute (or if it's in your county you have to commute) otherwise they will pay for hotel and food. There is no need to worry about the 'training' living arrangements whatsoever.

If training is in inchicore. You'll be put up in a hotel, breakfast lunch and dinner will be provided too. Normally its the aisling hotel, which is a 2 minute walk from hueston station, can get luas to inchicore then. Will be no problem with accommodation anyway, and will be fed like a king. Most trainee drivers put on a stone during training. Buffet breakfast in the hotel.Carvery lunch.3 course dinner in the hotel every evening. Accommodation will be paid for Mon Tue Wed Thu night, so you'll make your way to Dublin Monday morning, and head home then Friday soon as the training finishes for the day. Normally around 12 / 1pm on a Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Gammyeye

That's great to know, thanks for the info. I'm waiting to hear back from my Line Manager Interview. I don't think it went great but I'm still hoping. I would love to know more about the training part of it. What time do they start classes on a Monday morning, and is the training difficult/stressful?

I would be leaving the family for the week so it's good to know accommodation and food are sorted. Is there a reduced fare for the train journeys to and from Dublin as I'll be travelling. Loads of questions and thanks for any info.

• Advertisement
Advertisement