Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Rail Jobs Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Designator

was it this January you applied? Or January 2023? What depot did you apply for?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭jumpinjohnny85

Jan 23, and asked for Heuston station

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Smithadam1998

I seen someone post last week that they will have their line manager interview on 10/04/24 just wondering how this went for you as I also had mine this day .

Found it much tougher then 16pf interview

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Alpha1-1Cretty

@Smithadam1998

Had mine 2 weeks ago. There was certainly a higher degree of intensity to the line manager interview. It's much easier to convey competency and level headedness to one person than it is to do the same for three people.

The pacing of the interview segments was certainly a bit different also, seemed to me to be a lot more quick and to the point. It appears that this was the last week of interviews and if not its next week.

Seeing three people on the call, two of which are in uniform and at work really drives home the fact that this is the real deal lol.

My first interview ran for an hour and a half but this one was right on time. I don't believe that means anything in particular but they took their time keeping seriously.

Verdicts will be handed out very soon now I imagine. When I did mine two weeks ago they said itl be 2-4 weeks until I hear back. Just rest easy now knowing you've done everything you could have and it's out of your hands now. I wish you the best of luck with the results. Onwards and upwards!

-Craig.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 samcro_savagery

Hey Craig do you mind if I ask. Did you get an email after your line manager interview about going for a medical or did you have yours done before the interview?.

@samcro_savagery

I didn't receive an invite to a medical. My guess is that I'll either get a medical invite or a thanks but no thanks email. Having studied this forum for a while it seems that they either give medicals before the line manager interview or afterwards with no particular rhyme or reason to deciding when.

Im from the October '23 recruitment drive also if that helps.

I know they’ve told you you’ll hear in the next 2-4 weeks but take it from me and many others on this forum it’ll be a lot longer than that probably . I completed my line manager interview and medical back in September last year and am still waiting. I know plenty people that were waiting anywhere from a year to 18 months to hear anything back . So don’t be surprised or put out if you don’t hear back soon. No news is good news in this game

@Designator

Id be lying if I said that thought hadn't crossed my mind to be honest.

I know a lad that signed his contract 3 months ago after waiting 2 years. Everything is possible in this game and that's certainly something that's worth a mention @Smithadam1998

As a matter of disclaimer I do recommend you read over what designator just said.

Whatever about the wait I just hope I do get the medical invite. It's been a mental process and while it's quite tough being left in the dark there is a nice bit of adrenaline involved 😂

@Alpha1-1Cretty Yeah I'm from the Oct 23 recruitment drive too. I'm just trying to gauge whether getting a medical after the line manager is a good sign or if they just give everyone a medical. I done my line manager interview on the 26/3 and got an email about the medical 1 week later.

If there is anyone in here that lurks on these forums for information don't be afraid to drop me a quick DM with any questions on the process so far. I'm always happy to help out. Especially for those of you who are yet to apply and wanting to know what's actually involved.

• Advertisement

I done my medical before the line manager interview, I'd imagine it's good news though if you're being sent for a medical afterward the interview though. Pass your medical, be patient, and hopefully you'll get there. It was a 17 month process for myself so I know it can be a long affair.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 kitcats

Got my offer today I applied for oct 23 drive, was given dart classes starting mid may. So happy!

Congratulations, is training in Inchicore also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Great news. You must be delighted. Did they say when you'll start?

yeah inchicore training for 25 @jumpinjohnny85

@Citizen Six starting may 13th

• Registered Users Posts: 18 MK108

@kitcats

Great News, Congrats!!

Missed you originally saying mid May. 😂 Best of luck with it. Great time to be getting into driving trains.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 leev24

Got a phone call today for dart training mid May too , very happy to hear from them! 2 work references were asked for and then more info to follow via email.

Congratulations to those who got a call too and hopefully for the rest waiting it's good news soon. 8 in the class I was told. 23 weeks of training in Inchicore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 dazblackhawk

Hello to all. Have only just discovered this thread as I went looking for info after making a bad mistake. Long story short was offered the train drivers job last Friday( having applied in Jan 23 and the same as many here, very little communication bar a random email here and there) and was due to start May 7th but as I will be out of the country on annual leave from my present employment I had to defer. It was only 5 mins after taking the call that I realised I could cancel the holiday until a later date. Rang back straight away but my place was already gone. I'm told my application is still live but couldn't give me a date for the next class commencing. Gutted is an understatement as I should have just said yes immediately but does anyone know of how many classes are taken on each time or the time frame between each one.

Well done to all who have so far made it or got the call.

Until later

Daz

Hi Daz,

That's really unfortunate man. I'm starting on the 7th. I'm from Jan 23 also. I got the call last Wednesday. I'm not entirely sure how many classes they are running or the time frame between classes but I will ask the question for you when we start and I'll get back to you. It's a pity, because I was hoping someone else on here would be starting on the 7th aswell.

I'll get back to you when I can, and hope you're not waiting too much longer.

Johnny

Thanks Johnny. Any and all info would be helpful as I'm waiting this long another couple weeks or months wont matter. And I'm still kicking myself and will be for long while to come.

Until later

Daz

out of curiosity, does anyone have the phone number that they called you off to offer you the place on the course? Would be handy for everyone waiting to save it in our phones so we know for sure that its a phone call to definitely answer

• Registered Users Posts: 37 BarrowBoard

My understanding is that the course starting on May 7th is the fifth diesel course this year. The next two courses after that are due to be DART classes, so I don't think there's any fixed date (yet) for another diesel class.

• Advertisement

@dazblackhawk

Hi Daz, very unlucky to have missed the chance this time. I was told there would be 3 more classes planned this year which includes the 2 classes starting in May. They did also tell me this was changeable though.

Hi Designator,

I got a call from a mobile number, more than likely a work phone, but it is an 087 number ending in 803. Could be numerous numbers that could contact you. You could try and send an email just to get an update, I have done it once before and got a reply fairly quickly.

Until later

Daz

• Registered Users Posts: 10 GRUF

I was chatting to a recruiter from Irish Rail today at the Transport Research Arena. They were saying they are going to be looking to train up and hire people for the new National Traffic Control Centre. More details should be coming out in a few weeks. I believe it’s to be part of the new signal control team, and I enquired about requirements for degrees etc, and it didn’t sound like any specific degrees were required.

I was given a tour of the new control centre a few weeks back in Heuston, and I have to say, it was one of the coolest workplaces I’ve ever seen.

Anyways, just figured I’d share in case people were interested.

do you think if they got no answer they would leave a voicemail? Or would it be a case of if you don’t answer the call you don’t get the job?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 BarrowBoard

When I was offered the job, I happened to be on another call, so missed HRs call. She immediately sent a text saying who she was & asked when would be a good time to call me. She called immediately when I responded to her text.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Lordsnutchi

Hi,

does anyone know the days on and off shift pattern for CSO?

thanks, D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Depends on location but can be 5/7/10 days on and 2/3/4 days off after depending on how many links on the roster.

Most CSO locations only work one line but some like Heuston and Connolly work a number of routes.

I got a phonecall this morning. I got offered the Dart class starting on May 13th. Delighted

@samcro_savagery

Great news, Congratulations!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Mach2

Hi all, didn’t get too far with my train driver application last year so this year I decided to stick with what (I think) I know best and applied for the craftworker position instead. Did my interview end of feb and medical 2 weeks ago but haven’t heard anything since. Just wondering if anyone else in the same boat or maybe heard something back. Great forum btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

Anyone hopeful there'll be another driver campaign opening soon?

Yeah. They’ve no intention to stop hiring drivers. They also want people for other roles in the company, down the line, and want them to have railway experience, rather than just qualifications. So they know they’ll be losing drivers to other departments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 nidhuinn

Hope they have one later this year. Currently going into Year 3 of a nursing degree as a mature student and I hate it, working conditions and patient abuse even as a student are awful, and will happily finish it early and leave with a level 7 degree rather than a full level 8 if I was successful.

Lots of transferable skills like safety awareness and keeping calm in emergency situations etc from my degree and working in a hospital so really hopeful I’ll get far with recruitment, if nothing else.

Been interested since their advert the other year that had the woman with her nails and makeup done and was like oh wow, that could be me.

Fingers crossed recruitment starts again after summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 MrJangles

Does anyone know what the driver training looks like in terms of exams? Is it a number of exams at the end of the 23 weeks in Inchicore or at end of the 250 hours of supervised driving with your mentor? Or is a mix of exams at different stages? Any info would be much appreciated, thanks!

• Advertisement

Rules based exams after about 4 months. Tests along the way to make sure you are keeking on top of stuff.
    You get assessed along the way on your 250 hours, but it’s more to see how you are progressing. Mentors will make sure you know your stuff.
    Periodical exams on rules, and simulator situations after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Rootsblower

Exams weekly in the school and a written exam that lasts for 2 or 3 days at the end of classroom based training. Once doing your 250 hours you will be periodically assessed by your Inspector and then at the end of the 250 hours a final few days driving assessment before your out on your own. Your mentors will be asked how they think you are doing as your racking up the hours driving and even though this carries no official weight, it does. Just pay attention and listen and soak in all the info you’re given. Have a good attitude and a willingness to learn and you’ll be grand. Seen to many people come in over the years with a ‘I know it all’ attitude and not last pissing time in the grade

Ah deadly! I'll be on the same one! 8 in the class I think I was told. Anyone else for the 13th? Got email yesterday for my work uniform and boots. Can't wait now! Lisa

As far as I know exams at the end of the 23 weeks training in Inchicore and after that you pass out as a trainee driver then driving with another driver.

Varies between dart and diesel classes. Diesel will have railcar and loco training after the rules exam, before going to depot for driving with mentors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mickkelly1990

Does anyone know are there other benefits drivers get aside from salary? I have heard it mentioned there is health insurance and discounted/free public transport but can't find any concrete information. Also wondering how many days annual leave there are?

There doesn't seem to have been any information booklet released like you would see for other public sector jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 marelem

Does anyone know is the salary of train driver paid weekly or monthly and what are deductions from it e.g. for pension scheme etc.? How much are they approximately?

I think starting salary on training is €45,000 rising to €50,000+ when fully trained and goes up to €65,000 now. Also I know from my experience working with bus eireann that there’ll be a weekly €5 deduction for the union membership, approx €2.50 deduction a week to cover the free gp visits scheme, pension deductions weekly normally start at about €30 . Free travel on bus and rail throughout Ireland for you and your immediate family, they also are covered under the free gp visits. Also in bus Eireann we had to pay €20 a week back for our first two years to cover the cost of our training but if you stay two years you get the money back which amounts to over €2,000 so I’d imagine Irish rail have something similar to this also.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Rootsblower

staring salary for trainees is approx €45000 rising to nearly €50000 when passed out. 10 year pay scale up to currently approx €66000.

At the moment paid weekly but they can put you monthly as a new hire(probably won’t though)

About €32 weekly pension contribution. You don’t pay this as a trainee unless your previously appointed to the company.

Income protection scheme and critical illness cover which is mandatory is about €40 per week. You dont pay this as a trainee.

Union fees are not mandatory, you don’t have to join a trade union.

You don’t have to pay back training costs as nobody would take the job if you had to pay that back as the cost would be astronomical.

Just to add the top of pay scale is €65000 now but in 2026 it’ll be a couple of euro short of €70000

• Advertisement

Im starting next week. The pay starts at €49000 during training and then rises to €52000 when fully trained. Then after 10 years its €65000. Im also going to be paid monthly which i think is a new thing for new recruits but not sure. Hope that helps.

Advertisement