Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

9 holes

Options
  • 27-11-2018 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭

simple enough question.....playing golf a year and enjoying it, at my level, but really only have time for 9 holes on a weekend with family etc.

The only options on a weekend are to play on the competition line but I can only play the full 18 occasionally.

is it considered bad form to drop off after 9 holes? obviously I wouldn't if there were no other players staying.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Ronney

Ryder wrote: »
    simple enough question.....playing golf a year and enjoying it, at my level, but really only have time for 9 holes on a weekend with family etc.

The only options on a weekend are to play on the competition line but I can only play the full 18 occasionally.

is it considered bad form to drop off after 9 holes? obviously I wouldn't if there were no other players staying.

Simple answer, yes bad form.

If its a busy time sheet you are leaving your line one down and probably waiting on alot of shots.

Going out before/after the comp not an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

Ronney wrote: »
    Simple answer, yes bad form.

If its a busy time sheet you are leaving your line one down and probably waiting on alot of shots.

Going out before/after the comp not an option?

thanks. it is....i could play the back 9 very early....just nice to meet club members as I usually have to rush off after.

in general I think golf makes itself difficult for people who don't have half a day plus free

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭JJTippBhoy

One of your playing partners might be going well. Pace is good & he's in the zone.
    You leave & all of a sudden they're waiting on every shot for the group in front to clear.
    He wont be impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

JJTippBhoy wrote: »
    One of your playing partners might be going well. Pace is good & he's in the zone.
    You leave & all of a sudden they're waiting on every shot for the group in front to clear.
    He wont be impressed.

Yes,but he can take a little extra time over his shots and particularly his putts......could be the winning of the competition!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Ryder wrote: »

Yes, it's frowned upon alright. A once off wouldn't be a problem but if it's regular you'll get known for it around the club and lads might not want to play with you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Yes,but he can take a little extra time over his shots and particularly his putts......could be the winning of the competition!!

Just in my case... very unlikely. I enjoy playing fast and hate waiting to hit shots or try to slow down my pace.

OP the R&A are pushing hard for more 9 hole competitions as there are many more people in the same boat as yourself.

My own club has started running a 9 hole competition on a Saturday afternoon and whilst they have had a slow uptake thus far, I think if we push it next year it will be more popular.
    So with that in mind, write an email into your men's committee and suggest it. Even if they just start off with a 2 hour window to assess if it will be popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

HighLine wrote: »
    Just in my case... very unlikely. I enjoy playing fast and hate waiting to hit shots or try to slow down my pace.

OP the R&A are pushing hard for more 9 hole competitions as there are many more people in the same boat as yourself.

My own club has started running a 9 hole competition on a Saturday afternoon and whilst they have had a slow uptake thus far, I think if we push it next year it will be more popular.
    So with that in mind, write an email into your men's committee and suggest it. Even if they just start off with a 2 hour window to assess if it will be popular.

Yes but to have the mental toughness to keep your score going for18 holes is where many fail. Nine holes just isn’t the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Ronney

My club actually introduced a 2nd comp during the main Saturday comp. It is 9 holes and has tee times at 9/10/11/12.

It benefits the older members who are only able for 9 but also keeps the time sheet moving as every hour a line frees up on the back 9.

Worth suggesting it maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Yes but to have the mental toughness to keep your score going for18 holes is where many fail. Nine holes just isn’t the same.
    And by the same token, you have to have a tidy game to score well over nine holes. You can have a couple of blow ups in an eighteen hole competition and still recover, there's no room for that in a nine hole comp.

But the OP's point is that he doesn't have time for 18 holes. So the mental toughness argument is irrelevant here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Yeah, my own club has switched to 9-hole comps on Saturday (with options to play either 9) & 12/14 hole comps on Sunday for the winter months to try accommodate as many members as possible while the amount of daylight is shortened.

During the Summer they run an open on Wednesdays, an 18 hole comp during the day, and a 9-hole front 9 comp later in the evening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

During the winter we run 9 hole comps on two nines allowing players the option to play 9 or 18.

This year we are also running a trial 14 hole comp, but having 27 holes gives us a lot of options.

Winter league is ran over 9 holes.

Personally I find 9 holes is plenty during the tough winter months.

Advertisement