Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing Golf Club Set from Amazon.com

Options
  • 25-11-2018 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭

Hi

I'm looking at importing a Ladies beginners golf set from the U.S (more choice).

On Amazon.com, when you log in, it says it adds on local taxes and shipping for the destination country.

Has anyone ordered golf sets from Amazon.com, like this, without paying extra taxes at the doorstep?

I'm just trying to figure out if this is a good option or an expensive mistake. No problem paying tax, I just don't want to pay twice.

Thanks
    Pix

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

You will need to pay duty on it.

Cheaper to use adverts.ie , donedeal , amazon uk.

Sportsdirect do cheap beginner sets aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Pixied

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    You will need to pay duty on it.

Cheaper to use adverts.ie , donedeal , amazon uk.

Sportsdirect do cheap beginner sets aswell.

Thanks a mill.

I had a look at all those sites, but the majority of sets are McGregor/Wilson type sets and I’ve been advised not to waste money on them.

I was looking at the Callaway beginner type sets but they are expensive, €500/600 & up. Cheaper and more choice on Amazon.com.

I’ve also been keeping an eye on Adverts etc but haven’t seen anything I like.

I saw Palm Springs and an Aspire Set on Amazon.co.uk, seem to get some good reviews independently. But anybody I’ve mentioned them to doesn’t know the sets.

The choice of Ladies beginners sets seems very limited in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,774 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Wilson are grand for beginners. Just look at Padraig Harrington!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,684 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I had a Wilson starter set when I started and there was absolutely nothing wrong with them. Golf snobs will tell you to stay away from them but chances are they've never used them. If you're only starting in golf trust me you wouldn't notice the difference. Save your money with a starter set and spend the rest on lessons instead.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

To be honest, I was wondering if there was a bit of snobbery going on..

I’m not interested brands for the sake of it, but I would like to hand them on to my daughter at some stage and wanted them to be halfway decent.

Good advice on the lessons too, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭kenkin

Absolutely nothing wrong with Wilson golf clubs

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

Generally starter sets are terrible. Palm Springs etc are poor. Wilson starter sets are poor, their more expensive options are better.

I’d suggest a used set of Pings. Can be around 200-300 and way easier to use.

I had a Wilson starter set when I started and there was absolutely nothing wrong with them. Golf snobs will tell you to stay away from them but chances are they've never used them. If you're only starting in golf trust me you wouldn't notice the difference. Save your money with a starter set and spend the rest on lessons instead.

I actually started with a Wilson starter set and they were perfectly fine for what I wanted.

However, after I changed to a different set I did notice the difference in quality.

The grips are generally poor enough and the finish is not up to a good standard. Its the same the whole way through the set.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

Personally, I wouldn't recommend spending big money on a beginner set. They may not take to golf as well as they expect to and lose interest before long. Golf is hard and very frustrating at the beginning and not for everyone.

Wilson are a well established brand so nothing wrong at all with them. Harrington has always used them and back when Montgomery was the man to beat in Europe, he used them too as did other high enough profile names, e.g. John Daly (always lusted over the Wilson Ultra's with firestick shafts back in the day). They were also a pioneer of the big headed drivers you see today with the Killer Whale Driver that John Daly used for a while. I had one for a while but felt like an eedjit tee-ing it up in Sillogue back in the day so got rid of it!

Wilson do a range of price points so I'm sure you can find a balance between quality and price suitable for a beginner. They're not as popular now as they used to be to be fair but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be considered for a beginner set. As someone already said, better off paying less for a good quality set and put the rest into lessons. As they improve and their interest grows, that's the time to go all in with better quality sticks. I started off with a budget set of Slazenger, moved on to McGregor and then paid decent money for a set of Ping Zings. I still have those ugly ducklings 25 years later and they've served me very well. You don't need to buy her the forever set from the off. That can come later if she enjoys the game.....

There is a fairly big difference between the clubs Wilson sell in the pre made sets and the ones you will see on the racks in McGuirks etc. The price reflects this aswell with their flagship irons costing around the same as two beginner sets. Still, Harrington is using clubs in a different league to what we are talking about, the beginner sets are closer to SportsDirect Dunlop quality than Harrington’s clubs.

Nothing wrong with them but you are not buying premium clubs so I wouldn’t spend more because of the Wilson badge on them.

100% agree with the rest of your post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,846 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

You want a beginner set...... something to get you started in the game.
    Essentially anything will do.
    I wouldn’t be bothered buying online from us. Just get a set in mcguirks or wherever.

A beginner set............. you won’t have them for long if you enjoy the game

Thanks for all the comments. Much appreciated.

I did find these Callaway on Amazon Uk, a bit over budget, but there seems to be a good reduction on them:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Callaway-Ladies-Solaire-Package-RH/dp/B01BHWBZIK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1543347353&sr=8-1&keywords=callaway+solaire+8

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Pixied wrote: »
    Thanks for all the comments. Much appreciated.

I did find these Callaway on Amazon Uk, a bit over budget, but there seems to be a good reduction on them:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Callaway-Ladies-Solaire-Package-RH/dp/B01BHWBZIK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1543347353&sr=8-1&keywords=callaway+solaire+8

Have a look at golfbidder.co.UK have loads of good quality ladies clubs

Advertisement