Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help with changing text on website w filezilla?

Options
  • 12-11-2018 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hi Anyone out there could give me some advice?
    Friend has done my website for me last few years. Was updating it for me but she has no time now. ( heavy work load, young family etc-I don't want to keep bothering her!)
    Told me to download filezilla & use text editor ( have windows 10 so have notepad). But was worried I may mess up her other work so she then downloaded the website into a zip file which I have now on my pc.
    Wondering do I still have to use the filezilla to change the text? Afraid I don't understand most of the abbreviations etc.
    All she has said is to make the changes to the text ( changing names under thumb nails images)then zip back up the file and send back to her.
    Can't seem to find any of the text when I double click onto one of links in the zip file! :(
    I don't want to keep bothering her and any advice given to me has to be at the level of your elderly parent!!:confused:
    any help/thoughts appreciated :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭M.T.D

Longer term it might be easier if the website was moved to a platform with a content management system e.g. WordPress
    Then you could edit content, add new pages, upload pictures etc. with out having to ask anybody else.

Setting up the site might be above your current skill level, but you can always get someone to set the site up for you and then you just copy your existing content.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭sinesprockett

That's the plan, an going to do that in new year and with word press, so I'll be able to do it myself. This is the last time my friend is helping me.
    Any suggestions re the filezilla/ text editor next steps?
    Much appreciated :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭M.T.D

Filezilla is the programme use to upload the files to the server. Once you have Filezilla set up you will be able to download/upload individual files. Did your friend give you the logins for the server?

You use the text editor to edit the files. If you get Notepad++ (download it is free) you will find editing easier as it will colour code the content.
    The reason for a "text editor" is that it does not add any extra headers and footers and other bloat like Word would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

The zip file is all of your website rolled into a single file for ease of transfer. You do not edit that.

What you need:
    A browser
    A decent text editor. Get something like Notepad++ instead of notepad which is poor.
    A file transfer program which is filezilla
    Important info from your developer for uploading to your website: host name, username, password, file system path

What to do
    Create a folder somewhere sensible on your computer eg. website stuff
    Put the zip file in there
    Unzip it so there is a copy of your website in a sub folder eg. sines.com
    Find the file you want to edit which will typically be a .html or .htm file
    Make copy of this before any editing as a backup
    Make the edits and check in your browser by using open file > your file

Once you are happy you have 2 options

Zip up the sines.com with the changed files and just send it back to the developer and she will upload

or

Get her to show you how to upload yourself. Important you learn this in the longer run. This involves opening filezilla connecting to the website hosting [host name] logging in with username and password, then navigating to the correct folder [file system path] then drop the new file in overwriting the old version, then checking in browser.

In the longer term do as M.T.B suggests and go for Wordpress which will be a lot easier once some one else sets it up for you (assuming you won't be doing this yourself) and it also will have lots of stuff like themes (look and feels) and plugins (extra functions) which are great with a good few options specifically for your kind of business: crafts.

hth

Thanks a lot Tricky D,
    that makes more sense to me now- yes I did forget to mention above that when I send her back the edited text in a zip code then she will upload to server herself.
    Thanks for the steps to follow and thanks to M.T.D also
    The friend will upload the site to Wordpress in the new year, so Happy Days for me and definitely for her too!
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Well, before you go updating, there's only one more step really and it's a useful little skill to have

Make sure you have an untouched backup of the site

Just upload the file you edited directly to the site

You'll see the way they are laid out in the "remote" window of whatever you use ( Filezilla etc )

Will do, thanks for that!

Advertisement