Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018/2019 [Mod note 31-Aug-18]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭limnam

nullzero wrote: »
    Liverpool have gone through shocking spells over the years as well. Grow up.

Only 20 odd of them. blip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Dave0301

J. Marston wrote: »
    Where were Chelsea when Mourinho was sacked? 13th/14th? And that was well into the season.

Can see something similar this year.

Fook it, if we aren't in for a title challenge...a relegation dogfight might make it interesting :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,814 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Lukaku has to be getting alot of stick tonight..... His open goal chance could have set a different tone for the 2nd half.

Anyone surprised Rom doesnt turn up in big games he never does

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

GSPfan wrote: »
    I’m raging over that result.

That’s a lie, I’m not.

It's awful but at this point it doesn't even shock you anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,137 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I think we know why DDG might be stuttering over contract and its fùck all to do with money/Jose. Poor bástard probably wants to play behind an actual defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Can't even pass the ****ing ball into a 20 yard open space

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭shane.

limnam wrote: »
    No, it won't.

Not sure what's more embarrassing. The team or the posts here.

So do you think it’s ever going to get better under mourinho no matter how much money he spends? The board have made it obvious they don’t agree with him signing players approaching 30 anymore. There is only one outcome from this situation and you only have to look into mourinhos past to see it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

nullzero wrote: »
    Liverpool have gone through shocking spells over the years as well. Grow up.

Were you grown up through the worst of them, my little buttercup? This was well debated towards the end of last year - it looks like the theee year cycle IS a thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

BenK wrote: »
    If you're keeping Mourinho in the summer, you have to back him and the money was there to back him. He clearly wanted players bought for a couple of key positions, as did the majority here.

If you decide not to back him, as Ed and crew decided not to, you can't be surprised with how things are panning out. He should have been sacked in the summer if they didn't trust his judgement.

Didn't give the manager the players he wanted and allowed certain players to think they were untouchable.

That only ever ends one way, how on earth could anybody be surprised at what is happening now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,295 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

This has been 100% predictable.

But its too late to do anything about it.

Everyone at United is to blame. Woodward, Jose, the players.

Spurs just had to bide their time and the goals would come. You could see it in the defending in the first half.

I'm so depressed that this is what United are now. A team with no shape, no heart, no drive, no confidence.

I've no faith that it will be put right. We don't have the right people making the right decisions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I can't even take some solace in Shaw. He's done this too many times too -- come back looking like the player we all know he can be before getting injured and or losing interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

More rival fans in here these days than United fans. And not one person called any sort of slur. It's nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

United were the better team in the first half, individual defending has cost United the game, its not surprising Jose wanted to buy defenders. Alderwierald was excellent tonight, a player wanted by José (reportedly). Surely all the anger and frustration should not be placed all on José. United failed to back a manager that identified a weak part of the squad and this is the result.

pjohnson wrote: »
    I think we know why DDG might be stuttering over contract and its fùck all to do with money/Jose. Poor bástard probably wants to play behind an actual defence.

Yep we'd have walked this game tonight with Harry MCGuire

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

YqgdpZc.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,191 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Smashed my phone watching this says it all I'm off to do some thinking these are dark times frustrating night made worse by a stupid reaction ugggh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,430 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Were you grown up through the worst of them, my little buttercup? This was well debated towards the end of last year - it looks like the theee year cycle IS a thing

What's with the snarky name calling?
    I remember your beloved Graham Souness dragging your club down a peg or three. Get over yourself.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,627 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Headshot wrote: »
    Sigh it's very hard for a CB pairing to gel if your not going to consistently play them

What makes it worse your replacing them with players who shouldn't be starting these big games too.

I fear tonight

This what happens when you don't have a ****ing settled defence and it's on Jose's head.

He'll blame the summer transfer window but he has a lot to answer for all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Fair play to Jose, straight up to one of the only lads who was putting it in there, Shaw, and give him a hug then went to the fans who stayed on who also applauded him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭tinofapples

He's backing Shaw anyway. God knows where this ends.

• Advertisement

Anyone surprised Rom doesnt turn up in big games he never does

Careful you might let your mask slip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Fair play to jose there.

Luke shaw fantastic tonight

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

As much as been a serial loser is a thing.

Again. so simple.

Pochettinos stock rises even higher. Class manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,103 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Pathetic stuff, let's not delay the inevitable, we're going nowhere under the current regime.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Plague Maiden

The chickens are coming home to roost for the profligate and purposeless Manchester United. They won't compete at the very top level for the rest or this decade and perhaps well into the next, if even then. They've hired a known troublemaker as a shortcut to silverware, and they got it: a Europa League and a League Cup. They're turned back into what they were before Ferguson, a cup team living off former glories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Ilovethe bonesofyou

Nice touch from mourinho going over to Shaw first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,137 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

limnam wrote: »
    Yep we'd have walked this game tonight with Harry MCGuire

Oh yeah I forgot some dont believe that better defenders will defend better. Good point.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Jose standing in front of the crowd, tears in eyes....that was a "Thanks and goodbye" to me.

The chickens are coming home to roost for the profligate and purposeless Manchester United. They won't compete at the very top level for the rest or this decade and perhaps well into the next, if even then. They've hired a known troublemaker as a shortcut to silverware, and they got it: a Europa League and a League Cup. They're turned back into what they were before Ferguson, a cup team living off former glories.

wtf.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭dubmick

United fans getting pics with Moura. My word.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

The defence is a shambles.....investing in an untried 20 year old as the sum total of 'improvement' in a defining summer transfer period was a disgrace. Whoever is responsible... And its not Jose... Should be held accountable!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,295 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

shane. wrote: »
    So do you think it’s ever going to get better under mourinho no matter how much money he spends? The board have made it obvious they don’t agree with him signing players approaching 30 anymore. There is only one outcome from this situation and you only have to look into mourinhos past to see it

Anymore?

Lukaku, Bailly, Lindelöf, dalot, pogba, Fred.

Ibra - short term signing, allowed us to sign pog. Miki and Sanchez older. Do we really count grant, as third choice keeper, again Jose in this respect?

Matic to add experience to midfield utterly justifiable.

He wanted an experienced defender as the two young signings haven't done it.

This narrative that Jose has been totally short term in signings is insane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,430 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Enjoying yourself?

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Where is all the posts about how uninspiring Valencia was as Captain?

Jose bizarrely looking like he is saying goodbye. Hope he keeps a cool head tonight and just gets back to the training ground and rips into the lot of them. Except Shaw.

I must say it sickens me every time I see Woodward in the crowd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Nice touch from Jose with Shaw there.

I know pride will be hurt, but am I the only person who is baffled at that result given the game that was in it? Until the first Spurs goal I thought United were the better side and we had improved massively on the previous week. The defence being such a shambles is a surprise. The players aren't good enough but Mourinho normally organises a solid team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭JaMarcus

José is such a drama queen.

PR game in full flow now, applauding the fans.

He sees this as José vs Woodward, when in reality it's both their fault, and the players fault. It's one giant **** show that's not ending any time soon.

Do you blame rival fans for loving it? I know I would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

This catastrophe of a sh*tshow only has one outcome. Let's get it over with before it's too late.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭elbyrneo

The negativity in this thread is awful. It's three games in.

I don't think this squad should be worried about relegation at all. In fact I wouldn't be surprised of a top half finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

And when Jones or Smalling make the next mistake the calls will be for them to be dropped as well.

Its a merry go round in a position that demands a consistent partnership, Jose needs to suck it up and stick with a pairing, whichever one it may be.

Pretty much what I expected to happen. What combination will it be next time, who can tell!!!

They are all underperforming, Jose needs to seriously pick a partnership and go with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Feeling sorry for Mourinho tbh. Should have been backed properly during the summer and he wasn't. Only one outcome when that happens

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Ok, I've decided I'll try to move away from being too negative as it will be a long season. 

First half was promising, I was enjoying the game and thought we were showing good intent, lifted me up with false hopes.

For the goals not much explaining needed. First Kane did well losing Jones and rising to the ball, I do hate when we concede those as no other bodies near Kane, their main man, and nobody on the line, something that annoys me a lot. Second goal sucker-punched letting them run into space and not following our man. The third we all saw, they sat back and absorbed our pressure then stung us. 

For all the promise and possession we didn't test Lloris enough, Spurs on the other hand were clinical in front of goal. It was a game of two halves for me, some promising signs but overall a disappointment. 

Shaw had another good game which was good, but not nearly good enough. Burnley, Watford, Wolves, West Ham and Newcastle are games you'd expect us to normally win but going off how things are I see us dropping more points. 

Early days but it has a feel of a long season ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Jose standing in front of the crowd, tears in eyes....that was a "Thanks and goodbye" to me.

Felt like it but probably more a case of thanks for staying and supporting your team even though we where ****ing ****e.

Lord TSC wrote:

That's what it looked like to me. He looked genuinely sad.

• Advertisement

elbyrneo wrote: »
    The negativity in this thread is awful. It's three games in.

I don't think this squad should be worried about relegation at all. In fact I wouldn't be surprised of a top half finish.

F*uck off

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Potch disgracefully not" backed" in the summer by the greedy board yet has 9 points with two away games.

Jose gets two players but it's not down to him. Can't wait to see the usual suspects do the mental gymnastics with this and defend the proven winner jose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

JaMarcus wrote: »
    José is such a drama queen.

PR game in full flow now, applauding the fans.

He sees this as José vs Woodward, when in reality it's both their fault, and the players fault. It's one giant **** show that's not ending any time soon.

Do you blame rival fans for loving it? I know I would.

Woodward is too, standing there with hands on his hips pretending he's a tough man who makes tough decisions. Clown.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

That's what it looked like to me. He looked genuinely sad.

Jose very obviously wanted United to be where he proved the "3 season" nonsense to be wrong. Now, its looking like another third season sacking. He wanted his legacy, and I think we were his last hope of that. He'll get other jobs; PSG or the likes. But none of them will be where he builds a legacy :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭ankles

Flaky up front, very brittle at the back. Once Spurs scored that was it. That's the worrying bit, no bottle to come back. Spurs are a good team but United lack team spirit at the moment. Is that the manager? There's civil war in the club, that at least is clear. If its Woodward v Mourinho there's only one winner and it's the one doing the sponsorship deals for the Glazers.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement