Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time getting custom fitted

Options
  • 05-08-2020 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭

Bit of background followed by a question for you knowledgable bordsies.

I went for my first custom fitting of a club yesterday. Taylor Made fitting day in my club and I wanted to get a driver. For the past 5 years I’ve been playing without a driver as I always had a big fade from my driver so switched to 3 wood. I’ve recently had a lesson which has straightened up most of my shots and now wanted to get a bit of distance.

Delighted with the fitting and was hitting it very well, added 60 yards to my carry off the tee and ordered it from the pro. Hopefully he’ll have it Friday morning.

I have friends coming for the weekend and we’re playing 9 holes Friday evening and 18 holes Saturday. My question is, should I start using it on the course straight away or spend a while on the range with it first?

I’m inclined to use to straight away as I’m very excited about it but don’t want to hit it badly and lose confidence.

Any thoughts from those more experienced than me?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Stand up there and give it a lash. First tee heebie jeebies are mandatory.

You are splashing out on a new club to improve your game, make the most of it and enjoy yourself. Don't worry about confidence, golf is all in the head.

New drivers these days really do add 40 yards to your game. Take your time and knock her straight down the fairway.

As regards course versus range there is no argument. Ranges are not great for driver practice ironically enough. I can never get the exact tee height I like when teeing up on the range, it just never feels right. You cannot beat the real practice you get off the tee box.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Stand up there and give it a lash. First tee heebie jeebies are mandatory.

You are splashing out on a new club to improve your game, make the most of it and enjoy yourself. Don't worry about confidence, golf is all in the head.

New drivers these days really do add 40 yards to your game. Take your time and knock her straight down the fairway.

As regards course versus range there is no argument. Ranges are not great for driver practice ironically enough. I can never get the exact tee height I like when teeing up on the range, it just never feels right. You cannot beat the real practice you get off the tee box.

Contrary to your name, that is great advise!

I was hoping that was the answer.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭srfc d16

Bit of background followed by a question for you knowledgable bordsies.

I went for my first custom fitting of a club yesterday. Taylor Made fitting day in my club and I wanted to get a driver. For the past 5 years I’ve been playing without a driver as I always had a big fade from my driver so switched to 3 wood. I’ve recently had a lesson which has straightened up most of my shots and now wanted to get a bit of distance.

Delighted with the fitting and was hitting it very well, added 60 yards to my carry off the tee and ordered it from the pro. Hopefully he’ll have it Friday morning.

I have friends coming for the weekend and we’re playing 9 holes Friday evening and 18 holes Saturday. My question is, should I start using it on the course straight away or spend a while on the range with it first?

I’m inclined to use to straight away as I’m very excited about it but don’t want to hit it badly and lose confidence.

Any thoughts from those more experienced than me?

I am going for my first ever fitting on Saturday and I am in a similar position. The driver has not been in the bag for over a year. My 3w is regularly level if not ahead of whoever I am playing with so I never bothered practicing the driver swing. I am going for a full bag fitting so I am very interested in what they recommend.
    Never been on a trackman so I have no idea what my swing speed or spin rate is. Looking forward to it.
    I have been playing with a Wilson box set since taking up the game 3 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 27,088 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

The only time I would advocate not using a new club is when you have a card in your hand, casual rounds with your mates are ideal for trying new things.

srfc d16 wrote: »
    I am going for my first ever fitting on Saturday and I am in a similar position. The driver has not been in the bag for over a year. My 3w is regularly level if not ahead of whoever I am playing with so I never bothered practicing the driver swing. I am going for a full bag fitting so I am very interested in what they recommend.
    Never been on a trackman so I have no idea what my swing speed or spin rate is. Looking forward to it.
    I have been playing with a Wilson box set since taking up the game 3 years ago

Best of luck with the fitting. I found it very enjoyable

• Advertisement

Best of luck with the fitting. I found it very enjoyable

Thanks I am looking forward to it. No holiday this year so have a bit of disposable cash.
    Have most people that have gone for fittings gone in with the wood/irons they wanted in mind and then tweaked to fit them or go in with a hope the fitter will tell you the way to go?
    I don't have a preference on brand or style so I am hoping this will allow me to get one that suits me best rather than really wanting ping or titliest etc.

Thanks I am looking forward to it. No holiday this year so have a bit of disposable cash.
    Have most people that have gone for fittings gone in with the wood/irons they wanted in mind and then tweaked to fit them or go in with a hope the fitter will tell you the way to go?
    I don't have a preference on brand or style so I am hoping this will allow me to get one that suits me best rather than really wanting ping or titliest etc.

I didnt anyway, he basically had me testing variations of the TM P790 and a Ping variety that I cant remember.
    He tried different shafts and head weights and then I chose the TM over the Ping based on aesthetics.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I was going to post this yesterday, but try to eradicate brands from your mind. You are looking for irons that feel nice when you get a nice smack on the ball. You want it to be a nice weight for you. If you pick up a ping 7 iron and don't like how it feels give it a few stokes and then dump it if things do not improve. They should have a screen showing you distance and trajectory etc.

Don't get fussed on a brand, try to find a club you are nice and comfortable with.

If you are not a scratch golfer or a low handicapper do not bother getting talked into blades either. Blades are a waste of time for average golfers. All the leading brands offer decent club heads for mid to high handicappers, use them.

IAMAMORON wrote: »

If you are not a scratch golfer or a low handicapper do not bother getting talked into blades either. Blades are a waste of time for average golfers. All the leading brands offer decent club heads for mid to high handicappers, use them.

If a fitter starts fitting you blades then you get your money back and go home.
    You go to them for their expertise, not to fit you to what you (think!) you want.

Thanks for the advice, I am looking forward to it.
    I wouldn't be tempted by blades to be honest. I know my limitations and try to keep ego out of it as much as possible.
    That is why I have not had a driver in the bag for a year. When it was a perfect swing the shot would be a great feeling but the 3w would get me in a better position more often. I struggle hitting the 3w well off the deck so have no problem laying up with an iron.
    I am getting the fitting done with my own club pro so I would be pretty certain he will do what's best for me. He doesn't want to hear me moaning about being up sold something I cannot use correctly.
    I am a 20 hcap and I believe I have the ability to get down a decent bit more than that but I will never be a category one golfer. My striking is not consistent enough for blades and I don't enjoy practicing so I am unlikely to get consistent enough to use them

• Advertisement

Picked up the new driver this morning. Taylor Made Sim Max D with a regular flex shaft shortened half an inch. Hit 10 balls on the range with it and I’m very happy, extremely forgiving. Playing 9 holes at 6pm now and can’t wait. I’m recently down from 23 to 20 and played to a 16 handicap in a trial match in the club a few weeks ago. Hoping the extra distance will get me down another few shots before the end of the year.

Enjoy the new club. You sound in a similar position to me.
    I have gone from 24 to 19 and back to 20 in the last year so hoping to get it down to around 14 in the next 2 years

Advertisement