Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Road rage incident learner driver

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

Well instructors need to be paid & to be honest I'd have put in 10+ hours with each off road.
    This really just brought them to the point where they were confident enough in their ability to control a vehicle to venture onto the road without any undue stress.
    In truth there isn't a huge amount of instruction required for the basics, it just requires loads of repetition like any motor (excuse the pun) skill!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

storker wrote: »
    The problem is it's a mental as well as a mechanical process. Practicing on a driveway or private road and getting it right is no guarantee of doing the same on a public road with a queue forming behind the learner and co-ordination suffering because of the pressure.

Exactly this.

air wrote: »
    I never mentioned private property .......

it obvious, you're kidding no one...
    I taught 2 people to drive from scratch & bored both almost to tears on driveway & car park practice...

..before going near the road.

.......the public road.

Etc.

Even F1 driver stall their cars. Its just inane to suggest once you "master" it, it never going to happen again.

I would agree that mastering the clutch is vital to starting out. But thats not the issue. People stall. It happens. Move past it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

beauf wrote: »
    I would agree that mastering the clutch is vital to starting out. But thats not the issue. People stall. It happens. Move past it.

I've seen many people stall but only the ones with L plates get large amounts of abuse for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Stalling a car should be eliminated before a learner takes to the road. It’s very easy to practise taking off smoothly over and over again in a car park or driveway. It’s a simple fundamental skill that’s needed. There’s no excuse for stalling a car learner driver or not.

There is. The excuse is that they are LEARNING to drive.

I passed my test first time. However during the process of LEARNING, I’d have stalled a few times during the early lessons... No doubt about it. It isn’t unsafe, it’s just an inconvenience. I’ve been behind people who have been learning.. you know the clue was the big fûckin ‘L’ plate... they stall, they are slow to move off, whatever.. I just smile and think.. ‘hey that was once me’... practicing in a driveway ? Great advice but real road experience is different, difficult, nerves initially play a part.. a bit but got to be out there, practicing, perfecting in a real life scenario in addition to driveway drills...

I've seen many people stall but only the ones with L plates get large amounts of abuse for it.

They seem to get the worst anyway. It's like a red flag to impatient morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

The problem is Mr Lennon - ‘stay in the car’ is a basic - NOBOdY normal gets out of their car to pick a fight verbal
    or otherwise with the driver behind them - especially for something trivial albeit upsetting like him honking his horn multiple times at you. The trigger was your ‘instructor’/‘supervising driver’ acting in an aggressive and dangerous manner Nd one that was totally
    out of order and probably would totally rule him out as a balanced supervising driver if the police looked at it. Nobody leaves their car to pick a fight with the car behind them - it is totally abnormal -ESpECIALLY in the utterly trivial circumstances you described.

Get yourself another teacher and L supervisor - he and his driving attitudes and road rage behavioirs will not be good for
    you in many ways.

... The trigger was your ‘instructor’/‘supervising driver’ acting in an aggressive and dangerous manner ....

So he just got out of the car at random. Nothing happened before that....

• Registered Users Posts: 35,634 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Most cars in the states are Autos, it's why kids drive earlier. Nothing to it, press and go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,634 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

All small city cars should be auto, makes sense. Manuals are just annoying in stop go traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭Allinall

The problem is Mr Lennon - ‘stay in the car’ is a basic - NOBOdY normal gets out of their car to pick a fight verbal
    or otherwise
    with the driver behind them - especially for something trivial albeit upsetting like him honking his horn multiple times at you. The trigger was your ‘instructor’/‘supervising driver’ acting in an aggressive and dangerous manner Nd one that was totally
    out of order and probably would totally rule him out as a balanced supervising driver if the police looked at it. Nobody leaves their car to pick a fight with the car behind them - it is totally abnormal -ESpECIALLY in the utterly trivial circumstances you described.

Get yourself another teacher and L supervisor - he and his driving attitudes and road rage behavioirs will not be good for
    you in many ways.

Does nobody bother reading OPs anymore before making idiotic comments?

Most cars in the states are Autos, it's why kids drive earlier. Nothing to it, press and go

I don't understand the logic here. The age varies from country to country regardless of popular transmission type.

I don't understand the logic here. The age varies from country to country regardless of popular transmission type.

Legal age varies across the US from 14 to 18 apparently depending on State.

Also the cost of driving is far lower, and the distances are massive.

Legal age varies across the US from 14 to 18 apparently depending on State.

Also the cost of driving is far lower, and the distances are massive.

It must be because some states have more automatic cars, it's the only logical conclusion ;)

it obvious, you're kidding no one...

Etc.

Even F1 driver stall their cars. Its just inane to suggest once you "master" it, it never going to happen again.

Jeez, you're making quite the artform out of attributing statements to me that I never made. You might benefit in a course in English comprehension along with some driving instruction perhaps.

I never said anyone would never stall, merely that once someone has sufficiently mastered use of the clutch they are far less likely to panic if they do stall for some reason.
    This (together with the increased skill level attained off road) makes a repeat stall far less likely.

it obvious, you're kidding no one..

What?

What?

it obvious, you're kidding no one..

Jeez, you're making quite the artform out of attributing statements to me that I never made. You might benefit in a course in English comprehension along with some driving instruction perhaps.

I never said anyone would never stall, merely that once someone has sufficiently mastered use of the clutch they are far less likely to panic if they do stall for some reason.
    This (together with the increased skill level attained off road) makes a repeat stall far less likely.

If someone stalls I wait. No issue.

Never occurred to me that someone stalling means we need to start giving driving lessons in driveways. Assuming they have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Never occurred to me that someone stalling means we need to start giving driving lessons in driveways. Assuming they have one.

Everyday is a school day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Slightly off topic but I had a driver get out of his car at me 2-3 years ago...I

Background: I got to a red light but there was Nissan Micra in front stopped so I was the second car. Anyway, the wanker driving it decided to toss a half empty bottle of water of his window (and I hate littering more than anything). Not the water as such but the entire plastic bottle into the middle of the road while stopped.

Truth be told I would say he was eastern European (Turkish or Romanian...stocky, tight sports gear, fat belly, gold chains).

I just started doing Riverdance on the horn and gesticulating at the bottle. I then started (BTW this guy was late 40/50s and a bit mean looking) doing the whole 'wanker/tosser' movement and giving him the middle finger. He went spare. In fact the more angry he was getting the worse I was gesticulating- I was loving it.

He got out of the car and started coming toward me...made sure the door was locked and kept giving it loads just to wind him up. He then started spitting at the car and of course the lights had now gone green and he had no choice but to get back in a drive off in a temper. I just making my hand movements and laughing...he was livid.

Fcuk him...littering like that. Hopefully in his temper he crashed into a wall and went up in flames.

I think if a learner is persistently stalling it's a reasonable thing to suggest that they practice in a safe space away from the pressures of traffic and potentially aggressive road users.

You seem to have a massive fixation on the driveway issue.
    Clearly not everyone lives in a house with a large driveway, however I'd suggest you're not very creative if you can't manage to locate an empty industrial estate or quiet car park or cul de sac to practice on.
    Anyway you don't seem to have any salient points to offer & are mererly wandering further & further off topic.
    No apology for completely misrepresenting me in the thread either I note.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Low Energy Eng

bubblypop wrote: »
    Years ago, when I was a learner, I decided I had to go out alone, back when that was allowed! , & just go for it!

Got caught at traffic lights, uphill at a T junction. I was trying to turn right. I
    I missed the lights at least twice! Engine cut out.....
    I was sweating!!!!
    The guy in the car behind me got out & walked up to my window......I was ****ting it, thought he was gonna **** me out of it.........he didnt! He was super nice, told me to relax, helped me to drive, etc etc. I
    I got it eventually, all thanks to the driver behind

Ye i reckon he was worried you'd roll back and hit his car otherwise. :)

You seem to have a massive fixation on the driveway issue. ....

No its just amusing, when you implied they shouldn't be on the road...
    ....I think there is also a lot to be said for learners truly mastering the basic mechanical functions of driving in an empty car park or other safe space before taking to the roads......

... now switched to saying they should practice on the road.
    ... locate an empty industrial estate or quiet car park or cul de sac to practice on....

Its interesting how a thread about road rage, turned into Learner drivers should stay off the road and not be delaying other people.

At some point we'll have someone beating the crap out of an self driving car because it driving at the limit, or is simply in front.

It got me thinking about all those US shows where you see kids doing Drivers Ed Classes.

https://www.governing.com/topics/education/gov-drivers-education-cuts.html

Then this...

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x33prl2

They did it Russia too?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUk2hANSlTg

No its just amusing, when you implied they shouldn't be on the road...

... now switched to saying they should practice on the road.
    You really have nothing to offer this thread. What a waste of time for everyone to have to flick past your nonsense posts.
    You're all about implication & hidden meanings, I'd recommend professional help.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,372 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Let me know when you find some private property that allows unlimited amount of learner drivers to practise on it.

It's a fair question. In my day (shortly after we got rid of the man with the red flag walking in front of the car), it was a supermarket car park on Sunday, when the supermarket would be closed.

Is there any quiet space where a learner can drive with minimal risk of meeting other drivers or more importantly pedestrians?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Never ever get out of your car, plenty have ended up dead with this approach. Just ignore the beeping, will annoy them even more.

I've got out of the car before in that situation (to innocently ask what they were beeping for) and I've never ended up dead. You're far more likely to hear their doors locking as you approach, because most drivers who misuse the horn suddenly become a lot less brave when they think there's a chance of actual confrontation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,893 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Yes what every thread needs, victim blaming.

It's not victim blaming. It's good advice to prevent a bad situation happening to the OP again. Which is what they started the thead for - not endless sanctimony and strawmanning.

A professional instructor makes no different to this situation.

When a pupil stalls, does a professional instructor often make the situation worse by getting out to confront the driver behind? Or do they concentrate on stopping their pupil panicking and getting them on their way again with the minimum of fuss?

Even an experienced driver can stall, and sometimes if the car has problem it will stall.

Well a car which is defective it certainly shouldn't be being used by an inexperienced learner. Yet another strawman load of complete nonsense.
    The only problem in this thread is the road rage driver.

It's easier to put on slippers than carpet the world. One of the most stupid mistakes any driver can make is expect that everyone else on the road is (a) sane (b) competent.

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement