Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Identify insect

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,003 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

New Home wrote: »
    Incy Wincy's cousin, obviously. :D

It's quite difficult to see, Seph, you'd really need to give us a close up. :)

EDIT: Perhaps a Zebra spider? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zebra_spider

I don't think it appreciated having its picture taken, it looked at one point they shaking there mandibles or whatever spiders have at me and was on its hindlegs in the defense or attack position🕷️

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

You obviously don't know your spiders. It was just striking a pose, asking you to capture its best side. :cool: :D

(Could be a type of jumping spider - not sure which one at all, though).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I don't think it appreciated having its picture taken, it looked at one point they shaking there mandibles or whatever spiders have at me and was on its hindlegs in the defense or attack position🕷️
    I think he fancied you ... :D
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Reproduction
    When these spiders meet, the male carries out a courtship dance involving waving his front legs and moving his abdomen up and down. The better the dance the more likely the female will want to mate, with success guaranteed if the male can exhibit a perfect shuffle

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,003 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Alun wrote: »
    I think he fancied you ... :D

No thanks, I know better than to date man eaters 🤭🤭

*Gets coat*

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Be right back

Anyone know what this is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭axe2grind

Anyone know what this is?

day flying Moth
    6-spot Burnet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Be right back

axe2grind wrote: »
    day flying Moth
    6-spot Burnet

Thanks, I have never seen it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

Saw this unusually coloured moth today.

516252.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

Elephant Hawk Moth, the caterpillar is quite impressive too.....

https://butterfly-conservation.org/moths/elephant-hawk-moth

• Registered Users Posts: 17,866 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

attachment.php?attachmentid=516252&stc=1&d=1592054572[MG]
    Elephant Hawk Moth, the caterpillar is quite impressive too.....

https://butterfly-conservation.org/moths/elephant-hawk-moth
    The OPs pic is basically identical to the one on the Butterfly Conservation link (well obviosly what with it being the same moth but I mean even the blades of grass in the background and orientation etc...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

:pac: just after taking a second look now. It’s a bit uncanny alright!

Looks like a brilliant website, very interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

saw loads of these little critters this morning on my back patio..any ideas?

beetle2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

Looks like some form of Water Beetle, are you near a river\lake? Maybe flying at dusk and attracted to the light.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭MfMan

Not an insect I know, but one of the largest spiders I've seen here in the wild, (though pic magnifies it a bit). Any ideas what it is?

https://ibb.co/djr9ygg
    https://ibb.co/1rjKvkt

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Ulmus

• Registered Users Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭MfMan

Ulmus wrote: »

Thanks; spotted near bogland alright.

Flying ants. happens every year around this time.

The poster obviously has an ants nest inside their wall and they're getting out through small cracks where the pipes enter the wall.

Alun wrote: »
    Flying ants. happens every year around this time.

The poster obviously has an ants nest inside their wall and they're getting out through small cracks where the pipes enter the wall.

The ones with the wings are queens? Is it easy to get rid of nests inside of the walls?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

No, they're not queens, afaik. They also tend to drop their wings after they have swarmed. They probably have a nest under the building; you won't get rid of the whole thing, you can however make them choose a different exit point by spraying insecticide through that gap, but often they'd just disappear from there after they've flown off.

• Advertisement

They're just ants with wings, a mixture of queens and males, and the idea is that they all fly off somewhere and start a new colony.

Squirting insecticide into their current exit point usually just makes them move to, or create, a new one, believe me. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt-etc.!!

We've had them crawling up from a nest underneath our hot press where the heating pipes go under the floor, and we've had them in three different walls in our conservatory as well as under paving slabs and in a couple of large planters.

The only thing that worked for us was Nippon bait boxes. You put a few drops of poison liquid bait in a small plastic container with holes in it and place it in the path of the ants as they leave the nest to go and forage. You have to be really patient, and make sure to clean out and re-bait the trap every day for about two weeks, but if you're consistent with it they will eventually die off. The bait is sweet and the ants think it's food and take it back to the nest to feed the young. A bit of ant spray around the entrance helps too I think.

Ideally you'd start all this long before they get to the stage that the flying ants appear though.

I agree, they will just find another exit point, but what I meant was that if you keep disrupting their preferred routes they'll eventually find a route outside, which is grand as long as they don't get back in. It won't be resolved in just one go, you'd have to be persistent. I doubt you'll get rid of the whole colony, though, even with poison.

Well I can only speak from experience, and I have a lot :D

Is this you? I thought I'd recognise you from somewhere... :D

o-GIANT-ANTEATER-facebook.jpg

I wish I had a tame one of those sometimes :D He wouldn't go hungry here!

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭SwordofLight

My house has lots of these little nasties - I'm hoping they are not the dreaded false widow spider? Anyone have any idea?

My house has lots of these little nasties - I'm hoping they are not the dreaded false widow spider? Anyone have any idea?
    The iSeek app agrees with you anyway, how many is lots? :eek:

DBDOvuO.jpg

OMG thanks for your valuable input Thargor! Time to take these spiders seriously now! Yes there are at least 2 or 3 in each room, a range of sizes. I find they are more intelligent than other spiders, in that when you get close they retreat at a quick speed into the shadows, whereas the house spiders don't budge much, although some are clever enough to get out of the way of the hoover. Crikey, I'll be itching all night now! Will have to go on a killing spree!

Well wait for a more knowledgeable opinion than mine but its not looking good, and bear in mind that if it wasnt for media hysteria we wouldnt be so worried about them, how many people have actually been bitten by them?

Id definitely have no problem paying for an expert if it was my house though. Let us know how you get on...

• Advertisement

Killed three of them today, they were under the skirting, I've never seen a spider move so quickly. Pleasingly saw a normal house spider wrapping up a silverfish it caught, having a nibble which would send the silverfish into wriggles, wrapping it again, then doing a pointing behaviour into the silver fish, then trying again. Fascinating.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement