Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Where to buy matte color gels, or do they even exist?

• 20-01-2020 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

I'd like to get some matte gels / films (not sure what they're called exactly)

When I google for matte color gels I get nail varnish or makeup results. So I'm finding it impossible to track them down.

Anybody here know where I can get them or if matte versions even exist?

Something like this, but in matte.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61i1bcn3FNL.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Is it for lighting purposes? Google "lighting gels" and you'll find plenty of suppliers in Ireland, or available for delivery to Ireland. I'm not sure what you mean by matte in this context - they are what they are, and don't think they've ever had (or even could have?) a matte finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

I'm not sure what you mean by matte in this context

I mean matte ... like non reflective.

I want to cut one to shape and place it over the kindle screen. Block out the blue light with a orange color gel.

These are being marketed for such a use: Transparent Correction Gel Lighting Filter

But before you invest too heavily, you might want to read this: Forget What You Think You Know About Blue Light and Sleep :cool:

But before you invest too heavily, you might want to read this: Forget What You Think You Know About Blue Light and Sleep :cool:

Kind of a clickbaity headline. They say "Forget what you think you know about blue light and sleep" and mention a study on mice. Then straight afterwards they tell you to take the study with a grain of salt for various reasons including the fact that mice are nocturnal.

They go on to mention a study that shows blue light actually seems to suppress melatonin. Then they link to another article on their own website saying "Why You Shouldn't Read a Tablet Before Bed" lol

Did you even read the article?

Did you even read the article?

I did yeah. There's actually no real science that proves that an amber "night mode" makes any significant difference to human sleep patterns. All of the studies are based on ridiculously small sample sizes and make wild extrapolations.

There is, however, a lot of difference between the light reflecting off a Kindle display with e-ink and that coming out of a tablet/iPad/phone (the main target of the aforementioned studies). I would be concerned that putting a layer of anything over a Kindle screen would degrade the ambient light needed to make the text legible to such an extent that it would negate any benefit from placing it there.

• Advertisement

There is, however, a lot of difference between the light reflecting off a Kindle display with e-ink and that coming out of a tablet/iPad/phone

The new kindle emits a blue LED light which lights up the screen. I wanted to use that in the dark, but with less blue light.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ShauntaMetzel

Never heard of these gel papers. What are their uses exactly? Placing on books or what?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,178 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Lighting for stage productions, I would guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭SixtaWalthers

You can see the Rogue Gels Universal Lighting Filter Kit. If I am guessing right. Matt is also available for paint tubes but I think you are taking lightening filters.

Advertisement