Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

What are you making just now?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Nearly done with a set of leather Vw Beetle seat covers,

[IMG][/img]KWlYXEv.jpg

[IMG][/img]4FPN37R.jpg

[IMG][/img]qJRysJ2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,928 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Here we go again! :)

502690.jpg

502691.jpg

Ready for painting!!

502790.jpg

502791.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Ready for painting!!

They are fantastic!

I'd love to do something like that!

Happy painting!

Nearly there

503053.jpg

503054.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ShauntaMetzel

Leather mobile cover. Though I used formic sheet in the beginning but I think leather is more durable.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Sleepless nigh ts in the storms so I sit abed and knit, baby hats for India just now. Gathered them in today and during Storm Dennis there are 16 finished and ready to go.

As they say it is an ill wind... and boy was that such a one!

Finished build no 2! A bit scary this one! :)

49568009803_1c1fa8700a_z.jpgDSC_1882 by Anthony Murray, on Flickr
    49568511581_d471e517cf_z.jpgDSC_1879 by Anthony Murray, on Flickr
    49568010013_654dddda6c_z.jpgDSC_1872 by Anthony Murray, on Flickr
    49568738062_b4a8596f3a_z.jpgIMG_0402 by Anthony Murray, on Flickr

Build 3 Started! :) It is for my niece and nephew who are brother and sister. Thinking of adding a moat and drawbridge. The other side of the moat will be a spooky tree for my nephew!

503964.jpg

503965.jpg

Now we're ready for painting!

504064.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭lulu1

Now we're ready for painting!

504064.jpg

These really are class are they done with that clay i seen in one of your other pics.

How long would it take you to make one

lulu1 wrote: »
    These really are class are they done with that clay i seen in one of your other pics.

How long would it take you to make one

Cheers. Yeah, Das clay. It can be picked up for a fiver for a 1kg block in Mr Price. The current build took nearly 2 blocks, 2 empty bottles, a roll of tin foil and a few bits of cardboard from Lidl boxes. A hot glue gun and some tacky glue is also used. The paint is mostly watercolours. The builds usually take about a week. I've just started so am winging it with the painting. If I knew what I was doing it would probably be quicker.

Here's the update, I reckon 1 more day and I'll have it finished.

504459.jpg

Here is the guide on YT

@mike

I presume they are for indoors or do you varnish them for outdoors.

Your first one I think was a fairy house, which made me think garden, but equally fab to have inside.

@mike

I presume they are for indoors or do you varnish them for outdoors.

Your first one I think was a fairy house, which made me think garden, but equally fab to have inside.

I dont think they'd last too long outdoors as that Das clay reactivates/softens with water. Even if it was well sealed with varnish you'd have trouble I reckon. I do varnish to protect them. Polymer Clay is used for outdoors but I've no experience with it other than knowing it has to be baked/cured when its built. I reckon watercolours would also be a no no for outdoors. I'll eventually go down this route when I run out of family to make them for! :p

Yeah it was the watercolour paint that flagged not waterproof, never even thought of the clay :)

Yeah it was the watercolour paint that flagged not waterproof, never even thought of the clay :)

Hehe. :)

I think acrylics work for outdoors stuff. I haven't dabbled that much with them but I reckon they're harder to blend.

Acrylics are water based too. I haven't used them but they model themselves on similar properties to oils, which I have used, I love blending with oils :) so they maybe easier than you think to use.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,178 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

They may be water based but they form a sort of plastic film, as far as I know, and I know that a lot of paints suitable for outdoors are acrylics. They come in spray cans, too.

Right, build 3.5 is just finished. I need a break! :p

504517.jpg

504518.jpg

504519.jpg

Once again absolutely fab!!!

Do holloween and Christmas themed ones you'll have a nice lil earner... Certainly have the talent for it!

• Advertisement

Cheers!

They take too feckin long!! :p You'd need to charge a fortune to make it worthwhile. It's a labour of love for now! :)

I've to make a scary tree to go with the above build for my nephew.

Should have it done by tomorrow. The below tutorial is super well presented. Should be a breeze plus I'll get some practice using acrylics.

House is done, tree started. Will get the paper and glue (bark) on the tree today and hopefully painted tonight then somehow marry the 2 together tomorrow. :D

504704.jpg

Spooky Tree finished. This was super easy and quick and a ton of fun to make.

504852.jpg
    504853.jpg

That's class!!

I think you've definitely caught a modelling bug :)

That's class!!

I think you've definitely caught a modelling bug :)

I have indeed. I've a bit of time off work and it's something I've wanted to do for years. Would never have gotten around to it without the time off. Now it's taking up all my time. I'm loving it though! :D

So what's next to add to the village? :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,178 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Dungeons and Dragons???

New Home wrote: »
    Dungeons and Dragons???

Excellent suggestion :D

My wife wants something, I've another 2 nieces that want houses too.

Lol, when I eventually get to make something for myself it will deffo be D+D inspired! Or maybe a lighthouse!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭lulu1

My wife wants something, I've another 2 nieces that want houses too.

Lol, when I eventually get to make something for myself it will deffo be D+D inspired! Or maybe a lighthouse!

There's a saying that goes Dont give up the day job

But in this case I think you could :)

Advertisement