Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Knitting / Crafting for Charity

• 13-01-2016 12:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

As there are some crafters interested in making crafts to donate to charity I wondered if there would be any support here for a separate thread to list the charities, or even a Sticky?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Perhaps everyone already knows the charities and are already donating items. For anyone interested I found several sites on Google but I have just listed a few Irish ones here. I heard about knitting 'fidget blankets' or 'fiddle blankets' for the alzheimers centres but I can't locate any information on that at present. Maybe someone else knows about that. Pinterest also has a 'Craft for Charity' section which might be worth a look. Some of these may have deadlines which are passed, but we could be getting ready for next year!

Age Action – The Big Knit
    https://www.ageaction.ie/how-you-can-help/fundraise/events/big-knit?gclid=CNTdhLGRssoCFUZ22wodyWsOaw
    also at http://www.thebigknit.ie/

A Little Lifetime Foundation
    http://www.isands.ie/wrapped-in-love

Feileacain – Stillbirth and Neonatal Death Association of Ireland
    http://www.feileacain.ie/knittingcrochet-patterns/

Irish Premature Babies (see note No. 15)
    http://www.irishprematurebabies.com/AboutUs/WhattheCharitydoes.aspx

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

On the subject of fidget blankets, I've been knitting Twiddle Muffs for dementia sufferers and the feedback I'm getting is really positive. I mainly give them away to people I know who have someone suffering from the illness. Recently I gave the extra ones I had to a nursing home because they were delighted when they saw the one I'd given to one of their residents. They're very soothing and give sufferers something to occupy their hands, which in turn calms them. I also pass on the pattern in case people want to knit them, and have given it to the local ladies' club in my area.

They are knitted with a double strand of double knitting or a single strand of chunky wool and decorated with buttons and odds and ends, with some on the inside too. I can put up the pattern and photos if anyone is interested, there is a huge need for them and they make a great difference for dementia sufferers.

Oh yes please, I would like the pattern for the Twiddle Muffs, or a link to it. I have a lot of odd balls of wool I want to use up. Such a cute name, Twiddle Muff! Like Fidget Blankets! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I love the name too, :)

This is the pattern I use - they're very easy and knit up quickly:

You'll need 8mm circular or 6.5mm straight needles.

Directions Cuff:
    Cast on 45 stitches using 2 strands of double knitting wool or 1 strand of chunky wool.
    Work in stocking stitch (knit a row, purl a row) for 11 inches.
    Any colour will do for this part because it's the inside.

Muff Body:
    Continue with stocking stitch, but use up oddments of various colours and textures of wool until the work measures 23 inches.
    Cast off.

Finishing:
    If working with straight needles, neatly join the long sides together using edge to edge stitch.
    Push the one-colour cuff up inside the muff body.
    Sew the two ends together, again using a neat edge to edge stitch.
    Knit a separate pocket for a favourite photo or a handkerchief. I cast on 18 stitches and knit until I feel it's big enough, ending with a few rows of rib.

Decoration:
    Decorate the muff with ribbons, beads, flowers, zips, loops, pompoms, buttons, etc.
    Also put some buttons/beads on the inside of the muff.
    You should have at least 11 items on the outside, and at least 5 on the inside.
    Be creative, but make sure each item is securely attached.

Here are a couple of photos to give an idea of what the finished product looks like:

1f94pd.jpg

3rmzm.jpg

Thank you. Great colours in your muff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

Totally late to this but I donate the twiddle muffs to an autism charity, they love them too!

That's great to know, thanks!

One of my knitting friends knits for the Rotunda and she gave me the FB link:

https://www.facebook.com/KnittersforRotunda/

Came across this Facebook page in case anyone is still interested:

Good Will Wool - Knitting and Crochet for charity Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 7 LynseyG

Hi,
    Does anyone know charities looking for knitted items? I've lots of bits of wool and want to use them up on thing that will be useful. I tried google/Facebook but I'm obviously not looking right!
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

Hey, I am doing a fundraiser for a charity here in Cork. It's for the Rainbow Club for children with Autism. I'm doing a hand-made Christmas tree. Basically I am doing christmas tree decorations/ornaments. I'll PM you more info if you are interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ShauntaMetzel

My grandmother does knitting in her spare time. What kind of crafts do you want for charity? Sweaters? Stallers?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Maire Bhig

Cat Toy - Whale - Here is a pattern I have been making for years. I have donated many hundreds of these toys to the DSPCA and a local animal charity, as well as sharing with friends (and my own cats, of course!). If I have them to hand, I usually incorporate some catnip wrapped in tissue, and a bell, in the stuffing and the cats love them. Their claws get caught in the wool, they are light enough to bash about. I have been making them for so long I have forgotten where I found the patter (it was on the internet) so I am including the request of the originator, Vicky, that the items be donated but not sold. Use any wool, any needles, any colour. Knits up in about 20 mins. sorry, I can't seem to paste in the photo so will try to attach

Vicki's Whale Cat Toy Pattern
    I designed this pattern for charitable use (though you may knit as many toys as you like for your own cats or as gifts for other kitties). Do not sell toys made from this pattern unless all money raised from such sale is donated to your local animal shelter. If you do use this pattern to support your shelter, I'd love to hear about it.

US Size 7 or 8 needles
    About 12 yards worsted weight yarn
    Large eye jumbo tapestry needle
    2 stitch markers

This pattern is worked in garter stitch. Increases and then decreases are worked on either side of the center stitch down the back of the toy. Increases on the tail fin are worked on the outside edge of the fin. These are great for using up scrap yarn.

Cast on 9 stitches. [Leave at least a 6 inch tail for sewing up.]

BODY:
    1: Knit 4 stitches, place marker, knit 1 stitch, place marker, knit 4 stitches. (Slip markers as you go.)
    2: Knit all stitches. (All even rows will be knit.)

3: Knit across this row working an increase [i.e., knit in front and back of stitch] in the stitch before the 1st marker and the stitch after the 2nd marker. (11 sts)
    4: Knit across

5-12: Repeat rows 3 & 4 until there are 9 stitches before the 1st marker. (19 sts total)

13: Knit across until 2 stitches before the first marker, K2tog [i.e., knit 2 together], slip marker, knit 1 stitch, slip marker, K2tog, knit to end. (17 sts)
    14: Knit across

15-26: Repeat rows 13 & 14 until 3 stitches remain. Remove markers.

TAIL FIN:
    27: Increase 1 stitch in both the first and last stitches of this row. (5 sts)
    28: Knit across

29-31: Repeat rows 27 and 28 until there are 9 stitches on the needle.
    End with an increase row. Bind off all sts.

Cut yarn, pull through the final stitch and weave end into fin. With cast on yarn tail threaded in a tapestry needle, stitch along the 9 st cast on edge. Pull tight, secure, and sew whale nearly closed by weaving alternate side purl bumps together for a nearly invisible garter stitch join. Stuff with polyfil, some catnip and/or a small bell. Sew closed. Weave in end.

© July 2002 Vicki Mikulak
    All rights reserved. Please print only one (1) copy of this pattern for your own personal use.

Variations: Whales look great knitted in variegated yarns. Or knit striped whales with 6-7 yards each of 2 colors. Change colors every 2 rows. Work fin in just one color.

Knit these with any weight of yarn to make them tiny or huge. Choose a needle size to suit the yarn you're using. Knit them tight enough so the catnip won't fall out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭lulu1

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Just making up a parcel to send to my faith-family in Canada. They requested the wide wide headbands I cable knit, Extra long as apparently then they can fold them double.. any they do not sell to raise money for street folk food they will give to rough sleepers. Winter gets cold.

They are so easy to knit.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Maire Bhig

do u have a link to the pattern, please

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

I’ve knitted up nearly 40 pairs of socks since Christmas, I think I might be somewhat obsessed. I’ve just ordered a book called Sock Architecture, I think I may just gone off the deep end!

What’s everyone else’s knit obsession?

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

Only in lockdown, rugs made from odd balls of yarn. Squares ( later stripes) sewn together then backed with a velour rug edged with blanket stitch. Also have done the wee hats for Innocent smoothie bottles (charity fundraiser) and a few 'fiddlemuffs' for elderly. Then when it was horribly cold in January, I found legwarmers great and easy to knit up.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

Friends of St. John's Ward - Bravery Blankets, Crumlin Hospital. https://www.facebook.com/groups/2765555223674938/media

I saw this on Facebook. They also take hats.

"Over the past few years a group of knitters and crocheters have been busy creating Bravery Blankets for the wonderful children of St. John's Ward, Crumlin children's hospital. We are always looking for new recruits to take part. If you are interested in contributing, we are asking for the donation of knitted/crocheted squares which can be sewn together to make our Bravery Blankets."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

That seems to be a DODGY LINK!!!!!

Mod: Thanks Jellybaby_1, I've deleted it now.

Post edited by New Home on

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

All my work is sold before I finish it! Love that it is feeding babies and street folk. Knitting holds my life together. And Springwools in Dublin are so generous with yarn. Working wide headbands and fingerless gloves just now.

Advertisement