Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Art / crafts courses/ events you would recommend

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

been to a good course in either art or crafts? setting up a course? for all course related post please post in this thread only.

name of course/ contact or website address/ what they do / and why you would recommend them. any posts out side of this sticky advertsing such courses will be deleted so please use this sticky as a resources.

the one i would recommend (seen as someone resurrected the thread below this)

is http://dublindays.myhosting247.com/index.html and http://trinityartsworkshop.blogspot.com/

mainly made up of non-students, classes are small, teacher is good and all materials inlcuded. not too dear either (10eur for non-students). pm me or check website for more details. they also do pottery and life drawing 4/5days a week

Materials are supplied for all classes. Classes are run an a come as you
    please basis apart from those marked with an asterix- these are run as a
    series of weeks which must be taken together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭cathald

thanks for sharing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Yv

For anyone considering a PLC course to get a portfolio together or just take a year out to do art after the Leaving Cert, the Art Portfolio Preparation course in Galway Technical Institute is excellent. The tutors are talented, interested, open-minded and really nice; you'll be amazed at the quality of work they'll have coaxed out of you by the end of the year. Apply early, though - it's pretty popular.

http://www.gti.ie/courses/coursedetails.asp?cc=AAXXX

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Womble25

I would defo recommend the craft courses at the National Print Museum in Dublin. They have an adult workshop most weekends...covering all sorts of crafts like Batik, Handmadepapermaking, Drypoint printmaking, Japanese Woodblock printing Bookbinding, Calligraphy, Letterpress printing etc. The tutors are great and very patient!!! So its great for arty types and newbies!

They also run kiddies workshops and a summer camp too for the mini-artists out there!! :)

Their website is awful and not updated so I'd give them a buzz 01 6603770!

Hope that helps someone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 yvontune@iolfre

Kilcoole Craft Club
    Is held on the last Wednesday of every month.
    In Lee’s Pub Main Street, Kilcoole, Co Wicklow at 7.30 to 10.30pm
    New members are always welcome
    If you are interested in learning how to make your own hand made greeting cards, come along and join in our demonstration and make a card yourself on the night, and also lots of other crafts. enjoy a tea/coffee and make new friends interested in paper crafts.
    If you would like more information you can log on to
    http://www.cardartoriginals.com

many thanks Yvonne

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Nanette O'Neill

Beads and bling do LOADS of different evening and afternoon classes, weekdays and weekends, on bedford row, Temple Bar. available to suit all levels of ability. great coming up to Christmas as gifts. Go to http://www.beadsandbling.com/store/ or ring 01 6337814 for more info! you can buy classes onling aswell as a large range of Beads, stringing, ribbon, tools and craft supplies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 karen harper

Wire-work Jewellery classes. Working in silver and gemstones there are 4 morning classes or one day workshops.
    Each course you will make at least 8 pieces of jewellery to take home, choosing stones you want to work with, so the jewellery suits your taste perfectly.

After the course you will have the skill to make all your own jewellery and repair broken things from before.

All materials supplied and refreshments included. all courses 135 euro

A great way to start a new venture as this will give you the skills to make shop-worthy jewellery and all the contacts to start a new business.
    Once this course is complete you can move to gold, pearls etc. Endless possibilities!
    Next 4 morning course starts Tuesday 6th Nov 9.30am - 12pm
    Johnstown Pastrol Centre, Killiney, Co Dublin

Full day course 8th December - Dalkey, co dublin 10am - 5pm

Contact Karen Harper 086 888 5321 or [email protected]

Other venues and dates can be arranged.

CHeck out www.irishcraftupdate.com/blog to see jewellery that can be made during course.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

I would like to learn how to sew both hand and machine - any one know of any good classes? Currently in kilkenny but don't mind driving to dublin if its worth it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 karen harper

If you look up www.craftcafe.com

The link to sewing is http://www.craftcafe.ie/workshops2.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Womble25

Does anyone know of a good Orgami course/tutor in Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 RebeccaA

Happy New Year :D
    I'd like to give an updated list of felting course dates for 2008 at our smallholding in Co Leitrim.

Introduction to Felt for Beginngers for 2008

Sunday 3rd February, 10am - 12.30pm FULLY BOOKED
    Saturday 1st March, 10am - 12.30 pm places available
    Tuesday 8th April 10am - 12.30pm places available
    Wednesday 7th May 10am - 12.30pm places available
    Saturday 7th June 10am - 12.30pm places available

To read about the fun we had on 21st April 2007 workshop visit http://irishcraftworker.typepad.com/an_irish_craftworkers_goo/2007/04/workshop_fun.html

Email me for a course content sheet which will enable you to decide if the course is what you're after (SNIP - No emails please!!). I hope to re-run this course at least monthly throughout the year. If you are interested but can't attend the dates above, please email to register your interest and I will arrange more dates to meet demand.

To book <<SNIP - Send PM>>
    Cost €46, includes tea/coffee & biscuits and materials
    Times : 10am till 12.30pm
    Max. number of participants - four
    www.sallygardens.typepad.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭netanyahu

Thomastown, Co. Kilkenny

batik, sculpture, textiles, painting, ceramics/pottery , jewlery

Just wondering if anyone knows more than the site - (www.grennanmill.net) It doesn't provide a lot of information, other than the basics and would love to know what people have heard about it or if anyone has been! Thanks!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

netanyahu wrote: »
    Thomastown, Co. Kilkenny

Just wondering if anyone knows more than the site - (www.grennanmill.net) It doesn't provide a lot of information, other than the basics and would love to know what people have heard about it or if anyone has been! Thanks!:D

H- a bit late really but I was at the Mill way back in 1998 and it is a great place - would highly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Funnybones

netanyahu wrote: »
    Thomastown, Co. Kilkenny

My dad showed me this.(He's funnybones) I'm at Grennan Mills at the moment. It's best to call the mill, Alex is the course director and she'll talk to you about the little details of the course. I can tell you it's a great college. Very small classes and very personal, you get to know the teachers like you would the students. As well as metalwork, printing and the other core subjects, we get lots of workshops come in and most take advantage of the night classes there too. The classes are very mixed. The school only really takes around around four post secondary school students in the 17 odd people in the year. Experience in the subjects is not really that big a deal, having an interest is more important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ArcAngel

hi if anyone is interested this club meets every tuesday 7.30 - 9.30 for those interested in all sorts of crafts - card making, scrap booking, cross stitch, knitting, crochet etc - the club runs from September to July closes in August - ages range from 28 - 78 and has about 35 onthe books with a regular attendance of 24 it is run as a non profit making club so all the subs paid in cover general expenses, demo, workshops and a coupe of goodie nights during the year. Call in St. Gabriels Parish Centre Clontarf. PM me further details.

Hello to everyone
    just letting you know the Kilcoole Craft Club are having our second Fun Craft Day on Saturday the 3rd of May 10.30 to 5 .00 in St Patrick's Hall upper Green Kilcoole, this one is for Adults and Children over the age of 8,
    Childrens places are limited to 15. But we still have a few Childrens places left ,lots more information on our Wesite, many thanks Yvonne Tune
    http://www.cardartoriginals.com and go to Craft Event Page,

• Registered Users Posts: 26 strooooble

Hi

I am looking for art classes in or around Dundalk, drawing or watercolours maybe. Is there anything out there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Crafty Alley

Hi - just to let you know we have just opened in Killarney and will be having plenty of workshops and classes here in the shop. The first drawing class with artist Deborah O' Keefe kicked off last night and was a great success. So if you are in Kerry call in and visit us.

Rgds

Cathy

www.craftyalley.com

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭oil painting

hi all,i just signed up here and am excited to use the forum... i am an artist me self hense the name,i wanted to share some of the courses i have done which i thought were really good...

i did a 2 yr course(i ended up staying for 3) in north strand,it was brilliant,it was a vtos cours and i got paid 250 a week there and around for doing it... the course was sculpture and ceramics based with a woodworking room,metalwork room,ceramics room,printing room,painting room and drawing room, a bit of art history aswel.... it was 9-5 mon to thur,i got such a good portfolio out of this course that it got me into ncad,actually we all got in who applied...when i got into ncad i realised that there was not the same attention paid to skills being taught and i realised how great the course was in n. strand.... ncad was brilliant for adding a concept to your skills,but i was very greatful to have the skills going in because we dont get taught much of the basic skills of drawing and painting etc....

the others who did not apply to college,either went onto manor hamilton in sligo to speciaise in sculpture or got studios and applied to exhibitions or worked from home.... everyone got so much out of it,thought i would share that experiece i had because it gave me so much which led onto other artistic oppertunities x

Hello to everyone looking in, just letting you know the Kilcoole Craft Club are having a fun paper craft day on the 14th of June in St Patricks Hall Kilcoole Co Wicklow for Adults, come along a see card making and paper craft demonstrations and join in the fun challenges, lots more details on our website
    http://www.cardartoriginals.com
    Join us for a great day out, bring along a picnic, and a basic craft tool kit we would love to see a few new faces, we promise you'll go away having made new friends and picked up lots of top tips, Yvonne

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭stitchlily

You are all invited to take part in a unique, free, and family friendly event that is happening on 14th Jume at 2pm in Muchross Gardens, Killarney, Co. Kerry.

World Wide Knit in Public Day is a day for knitters, who generally work alone, to get together and show the general public that this craft is alive and thriving! It is largest knitting event in the world. This event will be open to all fibre arts; it is not limited to knitters, so bring your knitting, crochet, spindle, etc.

Meet other knitters in your area, start a knitting group, even learn how to knit. This event is free and family friendly. For more information check out www.wwkipday.com or email [email protected]

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭cailin_donn

Does anyone have any info on summer courses in LIT for students to develop their portfolio?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 bobsnotmyuncle

Does anyone know of any good art classes/workshops round Mullingar?
    Preferably about drawing in some form.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

i'm looking for some silver jewellery workshops or someone willing to teach me around galway. i've learnt the basics abroad but would like to advance my skills.

Hello Everyone
    The Kilcoole Craft Club are having a Die-Cut Topper making Day on Saturday the 16th of August in St Patrick's Hall Kilcoole Co Wicklow Time 10.30 to 4.00 it's for adults only and everyone is welcome we have 60 crafting spaces available, we will make toppers all day for you to use at home on your hand made cards, there will be loads of samples and demonstrations taking place all day on the different die cutting machines,
    for all the details log on to the club website
    http://www.cardartorigionals.com
    or you can email me for our club newsletter at [email protected]
    Entrance is €5.00 for your crafting space and unlimited tea/coffee and biscuits. bring a picnic for lunch and a basic tool kit. hope to see you there Yvonne Tune Kilcoole Craft Club

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Does anybody know where I could do a drawing class on the northside or in the city? There's one in Bray and another in Dun Laoghaire but they're a bit far, and I don't have the skill to join sketching clubs yet (I've only been doing it a week!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 pheel

hi , what was the name of the place you did the course at in north strand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mermaiden

Hi! Does anyone know if there are any knitting or craft groups in Ballina, Co. Mayo please?:)

Kilcoole Craft Club
    Our next Fun day is a Christmas Card Making Mini Workshop Day on the 18th of October 2008. Time 10.30 to 5.30, in St Patrick's Hall upper green kilcoole.
    We have 18 different one hour workshops to choose from
    Where you can join the club members who will take groups of 5 and teach them how to make their own Hand Made Christmas Cards.
    So we hope you'll join us for a great day out.
    If you would like more information you can log on to our website
    http://www.cardartoriginals.com or by email [email protected]
    Many thanks
    Yvonne Tune

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 froggy_7

Oulala Productions invite groups (adults and children) to celebrate the festive season in their most creative way: a facilitator will visit you and bring the participants through an exciting arts & crafts workshop:

Children from 6 up to 12 years old will get to create their very own, unique snowflake and a branch which will become part of a giant Christmas tree.

Adults and older children (over 14 years old) will compose stunning fake stained-glass windows.

All participants will learn new skills and the origins of Christmas decorations, while exploring what makes winter such a terrific time of the year!

All the artwork created will then be displayed in Solstice Arts Centre (Navan) through the month of December. A celebration will mark the launch of the decorations at the end of November.

For more information and booking a place for your group, please contact Delphine at Oulala Productions: 087 9747682.

This project is supported by Meath Arts Office.

FREE OF CHARGE!

Advertisement