Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cultural question, when is the next "fun" era coming up?

Options
  • 01-02-2010 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭

For example the late 60s were an optimistic party down time as were the early to mid 90s with the breakout of alternative scenes. These seemed like cool times for films, music and literature. What cultural and sociological factors are required for the next period like these ones mentioned? I know technically they weren't fun per se. But what I'm trying to say is that for example acid house, could be argued to correspond with the 60s drug culture. Or grunge, this could also be argued to be counter cultural to an extent and redolent of the 60s.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Any particular place in mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Ingerland and the USA and by extension and to a lesser extent, Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,121 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I think the technicolour of the 60s was relative to the shades of grey of the 50s. There were drugs, there were parties, there was protest of all sorts, from students being serious, to clothes and music becoming frivolous. But there was not the wealth that there has been in both England and Ireland over the last decade or so There was not the ease of communication that there is now, it was not a technological time, even travelling for holidays was not as commonplace as it is now.
    I was in my teens in England through the 60s and I do not think there was nearly as much drug use as people assume. But compared with the 50s, drugs were rampant! I managed to get right through my teens, doing the usual teen things, and never once saw or had contact with drugs or drug use.
    I went to work for the Probation service at 18, and drug use was not a huge concern among clients generally.
    Most people were working at 16 or 17, there were plenty of jobs both office and factory, and if you showed any interest or inclination there were great opportunities to progress. So young people had jobs, money to spend and music and fashion were the big interests.
    The country was finally shaking off the aftermath of the war years and the new generation was not only the biggest group of teens (the baby bulge of the late 40s) ever, they had not been directly affected by the war and the wearyness and caution of their parents was being rejected by the energy of the younger generation.
    There were no computers, personal music players, limited television, so if you wanted to listen to music you got together with some friends and played records, or went to a jazz/coffee cafe, or went dancing. Although people did drink alcohol, most pubs were for your parents' agegroup and not all that attractive to teens.
    Teenagers did drink, and most of them smoked, and some used drugs, but I think the 60s would have seemed very tame compared with now. At the time though, life was exciting, there were great possibilities to work and travel, and young people had a confidence that unnerved their parents. Older people were scandalised by very minor things, mostly clothes - miniskirts for example - and large groups of people going to open-air concerts, and girls screaming at the Beatles.
    So what does this suggest for the next 'fun' era? I think you need social confidence, full employment (or whatever the equivalent will be), a sense of optimism, less need for cynicism and a sense of release from pressure. With the gathering weight of population growth, financial uncertainty, pressure on resources and the threat of climate change it seems unlikely that there will be one for a while yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 FairRawny

I think Look-see has summed up what would be my view in a nutshell, what I will add is that even a downturn can generate new movements & ideas , one that comes to mind was the original 70s new wave/punk movement ,people cutting the cloth to meet the circumstances, second hand or home made was in, music was the same in that it was all about giving things ago from roots level obviously as it grew & became mainstream the bigger fashion houses & music industry got a hold of it.
    Other things that tend to grow are political type movements ,again from within music & public concern, in Britain at this time is the ever growing anti Muslim give Britain back its streets movement , unfortunately footballs standing on the road to a resurgence as it becomes over priced for many men or families to attend as regular as they were doing , if it keeps on that track it’s a possibility of the match day fan base reverting to the bad old days. Lots of people out of work ,looking at a unknown future will possibly generate some underground movements , the biggest change in these times is that much contact is via mobile phones & the internet ,in the past it was obviously head to head sharing ideas & giving things a go , in times of need often people become nostalgic looking back remembering or trying to replicate better times.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭def

Within the next 10 or so years ,there could be the next wave of fun due to home grown hip hop .This is slowly happening in england ,but because most people look to mass produced and mass marketed hip hop they over look the local produce .The hip hop in ireland isnt good what so ever it attempts so fit in to the mass produced "gang style" genre of american record companys hip hop and as a result only appeals to certain groups of young people who have bad taste in music.

I predict an explosion in irish hip hop in the not too distant future ,after all the true essence of hip hop comes from a type of free style poetry , to be able to stand up and speak of social and economic inequalitys ,percieved global injustice etc ,to backround music .It is designed for live performance whether on a street in a boring time or on a stage during a good time where "poets" can compete ,it is only a matter of time before a few people in the nation of "poets and scholars" take to grafton street and set the good times rolling , the notion of gangster rap is a ball and chain , why not freestyle about bertie , banks ,shell ,the luas ,the spire ,our rising heroin problems what ever pops into your head to the music ,with a bit of practice it just comes ,

google provides a base of knowledge to moan about and social networking sites do away with the need for managers and so on ,ebay does away with the need for a record deal ,and there is a lot of money to be made in reality based hip hop ,,, its only a matter of time ,a few years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Gary L

I think a change in the medium of communication that forms the popular consciousness will always change the popular mindset itself. The internet could well set the next generation free of the traditions we try to pass on. That would be lots of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,121 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Gary L wrote: »
    I think a change in the medium of communication that forms the popular consciousness will always change the popular mindset itself. The internet could well set the next generation free of the traditions we try to pass on. That would be lots of fun.

Internet users are already creating new sets of traditions/mindsets, whether they are any better or worse than those we have at the moment will only be shown when the next but one generation changes things again.
    The 50's were - do as you are told, dont step out of line, don't argue with officialdom. The 60's - rebel and party. The 70's - find yourself. This turned out to be so boring that not a lot happened in the 80's. 90's - technology is god, 2000's cult of celebrity, possibly the most purile yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭def

looksee wrote: »
    2000's cult of celebrity, possibly the most purile yet.

Definately ,but this was due to image marketing and so on , "reality" TV etc , it was forced as apposed to developing on its own accord , this could produce a blow back effect and to some extent has , i'll proudly state that I detest this "cult of celebrity" as you so perfectly put it and im fairly confident im not the only one.

It would appear cannabis at least ,is about to be legalised in europe ....
    http://www.encod.org/info/EUROPEAN-UNION-ON-THE-ROAD-TO.html

This could cause massive cultural changes , with all the money that it would generate to pump into the counter culture it would smother this "cult of the celebrity" which I feel only exists due to lack of choice and it would get humanity back on track ,ye know personal freedoms ,anti nanny state etc ,pots also probably goining to become fully legal in california during the coming november ....

This would trigger a "fun era" on a global scale :D.

Advertisement