Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cabin in neighbours garden

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

Any coco website will have the shed exemptions listed

http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services-planning/frequently-asked-questions-planning#Can%20I%20build%20a%20garden%20shed%20on%20my%20property%20without%20permission?

Can I build a garden shed on my property without permission?
    Yes, provided that:

It is not forward of the front wall of the house;
    Not greater than 25sqm (or no. of sheds aggregated);
    25sqm of garden space is left. N.B. extensions attached to house are not reckoned as private open space;
    Shed finish is in keeping with the house;
    Shed height: max 4m pitched roof; 3m flat roof;
    It is not lived in or used for keeping of animals (pigs, ponies, horses, pigeons).
    regulation for a living area I want

It is wooden with what look like aluminium doors
    concrete floor
    Not attached to the house
    Standalone down the garden

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

regulation for a living area I want

It is wooden with what look like aluminium doors
    concrete floor
    Not attached to the house
    Standalone down the garden

Yes, thats a shed, see the exemptions i posted above. May people call them garden rooms, offices etc but they are considered sheds. If you sleep in it it is no longer a shed and requires planning.

Yes, thats a shed, see the exemptions i posted above. May people call them garden rooms, offices etc but they are considered sheds. If you sleep in it it is no longer a shed and requires planning.
    OK thanks I see now, I didn't realise it was a shed until you sleep in it and require planning if you sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

Can anyone offer us advice as to how best to deal with this? Anyone been in a similar situation?
    Thanks in advance

It's hard to say but it might make sense to talk to them first before any further steps are taken - you estimate that it is 29 sq m, and from what I have read, cabins under 25 sqm should not require planning (although local rules can differ). So your guess on the size of it might be off and it could be under that limit.

The problem is then, if you just report your neighbor to the council, then the council comes to have a look and the cabin ends up being under 25 sq m or , and the local rules do allow it, the neighbor will be aware that one of their neighbors has reported them, and it could easily cause some friction in the future, especially if they discover it is you who reported them.

I suppose in the situation you are in, I'd check the specific local council rules on cabins, see if you can find out what model their cabin is (you could ask conversationally where they got it) so that you know the measurements, and depending on the first two answers, then either talk to the neighbor or the council.

could you report it anonymously?are the council obliged to act on an anonymous report and check the building?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

could you report it anonymously?are the council obliged to act on an anonymous report and check the building?

I know that here in Wexford, any planning complaint must be in writing, on a prescribed form that you download from the council website or pick up from one of the council offices. It must include your name, address, and phone number, and there's a section too for where you have to outline how you're affected by the thing you're complaining about.

I presume it's to weed out frivolous or vexatious complaints. Don't know if it's the same with other councils, though.

I know that here in Wexford, any planning complaint must be in writing, on a prescribed form that you download from the council website or pick up from one of the council offices. It must include your name, address, and phone number, and there's a section too for where you have to outline how you're affected by the thing you're complaining about.

I presume it's to weed out frivolous or vexatious complaints. Don't know if it's the same with other councils, though.
    is the law not enforced even if one is not affected?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

where can i get alist of the building regulations that apply to a living in/playing in space?

Technical Guidance Documents Parts A-M

https://www.housing.gov.ie/housing/building-standards/tgd-part-d-materials-and-workmanship/technical-guidance-documents

No.
    You report to Planning Enforcement.
    They take all your details.
    Your details will be kept confidential, even if it goes to 1court, that's exactly why the Council carry out their own inspection so they can reply on their own inspection record in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

How thick do you think walls are in a shed? At 29sqm it is pretty much guaranteed to be outside the exemptions, and that's before you go looking at available garden left, distance from boundaries and if it is habitable or not.

Op says it's a cabin. 29sqm gross would be about 25sqm net.

I've a large basic garden shed. It's 16'x10' 2". That's a gross 15.1 sqm.
    The net internal space is 13.53 sqm

So add about 4cm additional wall thickness and a 29sqm gross is under 25sqm net internal

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

where can i get alist of the building regulations that apply to a living in/playing in space?

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2001/si/600/made/en/print#sched2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Correct you have to put in writing before they will act.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Darc19 wrote: »
    Op says it's a cabin. 29sqm gross would be about 25sqm net.

I've a large basic garden shed. It's 16'x10' 2". That's a gross 15.1 sqm.
    The net internal space is 13.53 sqm

So add about 4cm additional wall thickness and a 29sqm gross is under 25sqm net internal

It's a log cabin though, not a block shed. I would be surprised if the internal space is 25 or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

It's a log cabin though, not a block shed. I would be surprised if the internal space is 25 or less.

Mine is a bog standard slatted wooden shed for storing tools and unused stuff from the aldi middle aisle :)

No insulation, felted roof, as bog standard as they come and the net internal area is 10% less than the gross external size.

is the law not enforced even if one is not affected?

I don't know. I presume you could put something like "am not directly affected, but am concerned at breach of regulations" and they'd still at least come to have a look at it.

Was never actually involved in any such thing myself. The only reason I know what I said above is that last year, I looked into what would be involved if I had to go that way myself. Our own neighbour was talking about doing something which may or may not have been within the guidelines, and which my wife had concerns about.

But being good honest decent country folk (!), we sorted it out ourselves one sunny evening, over a few cans of beer on the patio, and all's good. Pity it doesn't happen that way in so many other cases. It really is the best solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭slipperyox

A building over 25sqm needs a fire cert i believe.

Another option is to call the fire officer, you could be doing them a great favor if its going to be inhabited.

slipperyox wrote: »
    A building over 25sqm needs a fire cert i believe.

Incorrect.
    slipperyox wrote: »
    Another option is to call the fire officer, you could be doing them a great favor if its going to be inhabited.

Local Fire Prevention Officer wont get involved in single family Residential units.

*unless overcrowding is an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I was courious as to how this worked out as interesting situation...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I was courious as to how this worked out as interesting situation...
    This is going to become a more and more common issue, it would probably be worth a sticky on the forum with basic rules around sheds/garden rooms and what does and doesn't require planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭prionnsias

I was considering building a log cabin in my garden that would be 24m2. There is an existing shed in the garden that was built long before we bought the house. Would the existing shed in the garden count towards the 25m2 and push us over the 25m2 exemption for planning permission?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

prionnsias wrote: »
    I was considering building a log cabin in my garden that would be 24m2. There is an existing shed in the garden that was built long before we bought the house. Would the existing shed in the garden count towards the 25m2 and push us over the 25m2 exemption for planning permission?

Stricly yes is the answer I think but in reality I can't see any neighbour objecting.

I had one built recently(pictures posted on boards) and we had the usual garden shed aswell, ours is 25 sq M, it's an office, spoke with neighbours etc. Gardens are big 500sq M or so, so even though we can see the neighbours back of house we can't see anything really.

prionnsias wrote: »

Yes. You have to add the area of both.
    Just apply for planning for the additional shed and be done with it. There’s no limit to the amount of sheds once it’s reasonable.

Is applying for planning not a long, drawn out process, though, that costs money and, more importantly, holds up your plans for months on end?

Is applying for planning not a long, drawn out process, though, that costs money and, more importantly, holds up your plans for months on end?

Standard process.
    8 weeks to get a decision.
    4 week appeal period.
    Then build (all going well).

Everything costs money if you can’t do the same job yourself. If you think this is long and expensive, wait to see the time and costs associated with court should you get to enforcement proceedings or indeed having to remove the structure after paying to erect.

Probably too late to apply for planning now as I have ordered the cabin paid deposit and it should be built in about 8 weeks. I’ll hope for the best and apply for retention if there is an issue.

Obviously I don't know where you are, what size your garden is, what you or neighbours can see from gardens or houses, how close your neighbours are, or what your relationship with them is like, but I'd advise that there's still time then to talk to them before work starts.

It would be the neighbourly thing to do to explain what you're planning and see if they have any concerns and what you can do to address them, rather than just having them look out one day and see construction starting. Because you can be sure that if they do have concerns, they'll be a lot harder to deal with then.

I won't go into the exact details of our own neighbour's thing that I mentioned above, but it's well above the 25 sq. metre exemption limit. But after listening to my wife's concerns, they built it on a different part of their site to where they'd originally planned, and put in some mature trees for screening purposes. If they hadn't done that, I daresay we'd have been on to the Council all right because of the strength of my wife's feelings about it, and then they'd have had far bigger issues.

So, there was a compromise solution agreed when the people with the plan spoke to the neighbours first, instead of just going ahead and hoping for the best. The same thing might work out for yourself, instead of being left wondering or having to deal with it at a later stage.

To be honest I will mention it to my neighbours on one side but probably not the other as I don’t want them to feel that they have any say in whether I build it or not. My garden is absolutely huge and it will have no affect on any of the neighbours either side. It is likely if I had sought planning I would have got it but it never occurred it me until after I ordered the cabin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Since the OP disappeared it may have being info gathering excercise...

Advertisement