Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SmartWatch for Golf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

Just picked up a V3 last week. Finding it ok so far. Think functionally it works ok, only played and tagged probably one round. Had to amend a couple of shots in and around the green where either putts were incorrect or approaches were slightly wrong. Nothing major though.

Only gripe I have about it would be design. Firstly I think the strap quality is pretty average for the price. Usually wear my Samsung Galaxy smartwatch when playing and strap is far better, much more elastic considering the use. And secondly is the need to wear it on a specific hand. Somebody might be able to help me out on this one. I'm right handed in all walks of golf but play golf left handed. Usually wear all my watches on my left. However from setup, once I chose left handed golfer it directed me to wear it on my right hand, which just does not feel natural from me. 2 questions;

Can I choose right handed on set up and then continue to play with the watch on my left wrist. Or will the fact I'm swinging left handed lead to a non pick up of shots? Technically the sensors will be the same distance apart on swings.

And is there anyway to change lock button? Because it is close to my glove, at times it jumps holes as i obviously keep hitting the bottom left trigger and then all the other buttons come into play!

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

Bought a 2nd hand Garmin S60 on eBay. Very impressed with it. Loving the way it records the distance of my clubs after I hit. Still learning the bits. Watch faces not great, but I didn't buy for that reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭yes there

Anyone have any success I switching the vivoactive4 to yards instead of metres? Changed it on the garmin app, both in general user and golf activity specific settings but watch still measures in metres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

yes there wrote: »
    Anyone have any success I switching the vivoactive4 to yards instead of metres? Changed it on the garmin app, both in general user and golf activity specific settings but watch still measures in metres.

On the 3 you open the Connect App and press the button with the picture of the watch in it towards the top (with the circle that shows sync progress). That gives you the watch settings, then it's general, distance and set it to miles

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Flopshot77

Anyone have any idea where I could get a shotscope v3? Seems to be sold out anywhere I've tried.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Baymax2020

Flopshot77 wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea where I could get a shotscope v3? Seems to be sold out anywhere I've tried.

Same boat here can't be got online, dropped in to local halpannys they said they'll see if they can source one, haven't heard back yet. I emailed shotscope direct they said won't be back in until October

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Flopshot77

Baymax2020 wrote:
    Same boat here can't be got online, dropped in to local halpannys they said they'll see if they can source one, haven't heard back yet. I emailed shotscope direct they said won't be back in until October

Yeah plenty of V2s about but v3 sold out everywhere.That seems mad to be missing out on sales all the way to October. Cheers anyway. I guess I'll carry on with my S10 until later on in the year so.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

I got the shotscope G3 without the performance tagging. I just thought it would be too much of a distraction although I can see the uses and potential benefits if you want to cut shots off your handicap or are very competitive. The yardage is very accurate and distance to hazards/bunkers etc top notch too. It is good value for €170 and can be worn like an everyday watch. Very good battery life and picked up GPS signal in under 2 mins each of 2 times I have used it. I used old bushnell/golf buddy and sometimes if you hit it onto wrong fairway it would pick up yardage for the wrong hole and took time to realign or readjust but thankfully can adjust for that with the shotscope.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭lettuce97

yes there wrote: »

I was the same, neither app mad a difference (on the 3). What works for me is changing the units on the watch's settings, ie not on an app, from km to miles

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭slingerz

Anyone use the Arccos system? Either the belt tag or phone in pocket option

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭flugel

Reading online seems some people having issues with V3, from missed shots, to ghost shots to few with strap breaking.

Being used to game golf (which is dying a death) I wish shot scope brought a similar device with manually tagging. Far as I can see only way to guarantee no shot is missed (other than user error). Can't be arsed with arcoss if I gotta change batteries in clubs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

For anyone tracking stats.

If you use your putter from off the green and then take a further putt. Is this recorded as a 1 putt or 2 putt?

When prompted as to how many putts I have been inputting 2 but think this is wrong and will actually mess up the stats

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

redzerdrog wrote: »

If you use your putter from off the green and then take a further putt. Is this recorded as a 1 putt or 2 putt?

When prompted as to how many putts I have been inputting 2 but think this is wrong and will actually mess up the stats

On the pro tours putting stats are only counted for putts taken on the green.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭finglashoop

It will be added as a putting stat.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Baymax2020

slingerz wrote: »
    Anyone use the Arccos system? Either the belt tag or phone in pocket option

Interested in this too from what I can gather there is the extra cost of $99 a year subscription, seems a decent piece of kit though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

technically it would be only considered a one putt

i personally would look at how far you are off the green, if it's on the fringe or close, don't kid yourself, it's a 2 putt.... if it's yards away, it's a one putt

Yeh think the problem is from the edge my tag has picked up a putt and then when confirming my score I have kinda double logged it by saying I'd 2 putts. So it will show up a putt from the edge and then 2 putts by the looks of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Deporhostia

Hi there, I recently got a second hand shot scope v2.

It worked fine, managed to get a round fully synced and checked all the info after, no problem.

Since then though, the watch seems to work fine at the course, but then when I try to synch my round to my iPad or to my phone, I set the watch to Bluetooth, I ‘connect band’, band gets connected, I synch rounds, it says ‘synching rounds’, it then gets to either 1 or 2 or 3% and then nothing.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Lads, Just got a Garmin g30 hand held, it doesn't seem to be picking up a GPS signal, any ideas on what I need to do...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

not yet wrote: »
    Lads, Just got a Garmin g30 hand held, it doesn't seem to be picking up a GPS signal, any ideas on what I need to do...

False alarm, I didn't realise you needed to bring the devise outside. Just brought it out, showed it the sky and just like magic it picked up all the local courses.

• Advertisement

The indexs on 2 of the holes of my home club are wrong. Any idea if this can be easily resolved?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭finglashoop

The indexs on 2 of the holes of my home club are wrong. Any idea if this can be easily resolved?

Email them scorecard.

They are very quick to update any issues

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Neewollah

Hi all,

Looking at investing in a new GPS watch or rangefinder. I have currently Shot Scope v2 but I feel the yardages have been out by about 20 yards from time to time in last couple of rounds so I've lost trust in it.

What do people find better...Watch or Rangefinder?

Any recommendations on whats best on the market at the moment would be appreciated

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'll probably get a rangefinder over a watch soon. Less to worry about with those, especially when in the arse end of nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭newindublin

Kiith wrote: »
    I'll probably get a rangefinder over a watch soon. Less to worry about with those, especially when in the arse end of nowhere.

I have a watch and rangefinder, and the watch is 10x more useful for me, in general. It takes half a second to check my range anywhere on the course, and that includes obstructed views the to the green. I have saved many shots just knowing how far away I am if I don't have a clear view, which a rangefinder is only useful for.

That said I LOVE having a rangefinder, but only when I have a short iron shot and am hoping to dial in a good one.

I think there is a lot of personal preference here, but also play style and ability. I admit bomb and gouge was the style I grew up with, but I am trying to convert to better course management now.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Neewollah

I think that's the way I'm leaning as well. The watch has a bit more variation and detail. The rangefinder is very handy for precision and might get one at a later date.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

So we are getting into winter now. Played the weekend and I hit so many knockdown shots into the wind. Hit a full on 4iron 135 yards.

Question I have, do the people keeping stats disregard their stats for the winter. In the garmin golf app I can disregard a scorecard from the stats. The reason I ask its going to bring down the average distance I hit each club. Id prefer to have the average distance I hit a club in reasonably weather.

What's peoples thoughts on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

etxp wrote: »
    So we are getting into winter now. Played the weekend and I hit so many knockdown shots into the wind. Hit a full on 4iron 135 yards.

Question I have, do the people keeping stats disregard their stats for the winter. In the garmin golf app I can disregard a scorecard from the stats. The reason I ask its going to bring down the average distance I hit each club. Id prefer to have the average distance I hit a club in reasonably weather.

What's peoples thoughts on this?

I've found myself wondering the same thing with regards to mis-hits and half/punch shots like you describe.....I think its mentioned in this thread but i think it takes more of a statistical approach to the average it gives. i.e. it doesn't just give a simple average of the distance by taking the total distance and dividing it by the number of shots.....i think its more of a bell curve approach whereby the outliers are omitted to give a more accurate representation of how far you normally hit...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭blue note

I have the garmin golf app too. As far as I can see, the app automatically disregards your really short shots. But not your really long ones.

So for me the winter stats are closer to my actual distances. Coming into summer it told me my driver distance was an average of 238m. Which is a bit long for winter, but probably about right including run. Now it tells me my average is 261m. It most certainly is not! But because of run, wind, elevation I was getting a few to that distance and beyond (maxed out at 300m). But my drives into a modest enough wind could be just under 200m and I think it ignores them.

What I always say about the garmin distance app is it's a great tool to help you work out your distances, but it's not a tool that does it for you. You're very rarely hitting a shot not affected by wind, run, elevation and the app doesn't consider them. You probably have set distances in your head for each club. Take the distance from your watch, adjust for other factors and pay attention to whether or not you're consistently long or short with your clubs. I think that's the best way to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Once it gets into winter conditions I tend to stop using my gamegolf for that reason. If you're not getting realistic or meaningful data I don't see the point

Advertisement