Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Howth to Dun Laoghaire

Options
  • 10-08-2020 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

Hi

What’s the best cycle route from Howth to Dun Laoghaire?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Did this at the weekend actually - here's the route I took:
    https://goo.gl/maps/geWCFN4W6BRMyhcX8

The only awkward bit was from the East Link toll to Irishtown, no cycle lane and the road was rough with potholes all over the place. Rest of the route was grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Peck3277

deconduo wrote: »
    Did this at the weekend actually - here's the route I took:
    https://goo.gl/maps/geWCFN4W6BRMyhcX8

The only awkward bit was from the East Link toll to Irishtown, no cycle lane and the road was rough with potholes all over the place. Rest of the route was grand.

As you are coming across the east link bridge, just at the bend (about 100m) before the toll, if you cross over to the right hand side you can get onto Thorncastle St and cycle to Irishtown from there. It's a much safer road and is the way I used to go for commuting when I lived in Clontarf.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,470 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

east link can be very congested - doing it S to N, i'd continue straight on to the church in ringsend, and take a right onto thorncastle street and drop onto the east link at the pedestrian access at the end. (edit: Peck3277 beat me to it)

east link used to be my commute, and i used it (N to S) early enough in the morning (before 7am) that it was still reasonably quiet at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭onlineweb

Ok, so when I cross the Eastlink bridge, I could head towards Ringsend Village, Irishtown and then Ballsbridge.

Would it be better to cycle across the Samuel Beckett Bridge and then into Pearse Street?

I don’t mind cycling the long way around as I’m still relatively new to cycling and would prefer to avoid the large artics and trucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

If you want to keep off the main Rock Road, you can cut into the park at Booterstown, out the narrow lane to Blackrock Dart Station, along Idrone and Maritimo Terraces and then join the new bike path on Seapoint Avenue. It won't be any quicker but it's a lot quieter.

Just saw your query about the Samuel Beckett bridge. It's an option but you are adding on quite a loop. If you are not comfortable crossing the East Link on the roadway, you could always walk across on the west (upriver) footpath and cut into Thorncastle Street at the gap in the wall beside the rowing club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭dekbhoy

yes the East link stretch of road is terrible for potholes , Road is quite narrow too so when artics are passing it can be uncomfortable. go across bridge around the bend and then you will see a sub station on grass there is a small path and gap in wall, turn right then left up into thorncastle street into ringsend village, turn left onto bridge street follow the main road to the Irishtown house pub you come to a V in road take the left of the V and road brings to strand /coast road which leads you directly to Dun Laoghaire

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

The Sutton to Sandycove https://s2s.ie/ needs a good bit of work

I cycled a route there last year - from sutton to east wall road is ok (maybe they could have it go closer and through east point) it gets very utilitarian then either side of the east link, it is ok from sandymount - it gets a bit dodgy at merrion and going in and out of Blackrock.

It needs to be made more convienent around the docklands, and continuous from sandymount onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,297 ✭✭✭✭ted1

east link can be very congested - doing it S to N, i'd continue straight on to the church in ringsend, and take a right onto thorncastle street and drop onto the east link at the pedestrian access at the end. (edit: Peck3277 beat me to it)

east link used to be my commute, and i used it (N to S) early enough in the morning (before 7am) that it was still reasonably quiet at the time.

That’s the route I take. Exceot I go S to N in the morning, On the way home I find it better to use the Samuel
    Beckett bridge and head out by shelbourne road

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

If people don't like the strand road from the East Link down to Merrion Gates, try popping through the gap at the bridge and then go down through Ringsend, and stay on the road through Irishtown and Sandymount villages and down through the leafy part of Sandymount to Sydney Parade - here's a suggested route:

https://goo.gl/maps/5UkvnQbk3zjqPXk59

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,470 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ted1 wrote: »
    That’s the route I take. Exceot I go S to N in the morning, On the way home I find it better to use the Samuel
    Beckett bridge and head out by shelbourne road
    as mentioned, i was doing the opposite return journey and the few times i tried the beckett bridge in the evening (through ringsend onto pearse street, swing right onto macken street and then to the bridge), the traffic was horrendous. that was before lockdown though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭emclau

If you want to keep off the main Rock Road, you can cut into the park at Booterstown, out the narrow lane to Blackrock Dart Station, along Idrone and Maritimo Terraces and then join the new bike path on Seapoint Avenue. It won't be any quicker but it's a lot quieter.

Great call out - I always used to go this way when cycling home from work... zero traffic, more fresh air and safer..

Also, the road from DL peoples park to sandycove has been resurfaced, much nicer now to cycle on..

Advertisement