Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buffing out an engraving.

• 28-07-2020 9:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭

I have an omega watch with an engraving on the back.

Would anyone have a clue how much it would cost to have it buffed out, or can it be done at all?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    I have an omega watch with an engraving on the back.

Would anyone have a clue how much it would cost to have it buffed out, or can it be done at all?

Might be as easy to just replace the caseback.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Wasn't there an Omega that sold for an astronomical sum based on the engraving on the case back?I

Better check if it belonged to someone famous before doing anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Wasn't there an Omega that sold for an astronomical sum based on the engraving on the case back?I

Better check if it belonged to someone famous before doing anything.

It defiantly didn’t below to someone famous lol.

Time wrote: »
    Might be as easy to just replace the caseback.

The lady said it would be very expensive to replace the caseback. It’s an older money omega (early to mid 90’s)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Personally I'd leave it alone, think watches with engravings are cool as they give some insight into its previous life,recently looking through a thread with loads of vintage Seiko's with interesting engravings [Link]

Some even have engravings on the bracelet's

786ebb5502f680833483f90c642a3816.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

^that is horrendous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Odelay wrote: »
    ^that is horrendous

Should have a quote “do not touch!” - Willie

That’s the watch. It’s not something I’d wear myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

What does it say? “To Mary love Willie”? :p

Definitely wouldn’t polish it, that’ll detract value for sure. Ebay job or live with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Price a case back or change your name through deed poll. Whichever's handiest.

• Advertisement

Birneybau wrote: »
    Price a case back or change your name through deed poll. Whichever's handiest.

She just came back with a price for the case back there. - €1600 lol good luck.

The watch much be worth a few quid if it costs that much for the case back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

1600 is pretty tasty, is it a gold watch?
    How deeply engraved is it? a 5 euro loupe is a good investment. Can you get the back off? A good engineering shop might give you some options if the back is planar rather than curved.

njburke wrote: »
    1600 is pretty tasty, is it a gold watch?
    How deeply engraved is it? a 5 euro loupe is a good investment. Can you get the back off? A good engineering shop might give you some options if the back is planar rather than curved.

I’ve haven’t a clue about watches, I just know this isn’t one I’d ever wear as it’s an antique watch. I wanted to get it valued but the chap isn’t there for the next few days. I’d probably sell it and buy a watch I would wear. The watch was my dad’s that was given it to him by his job for years of service - that’s what the engraving reads. People might say I shouldn’t sell his watch but I’d prefer to know someone was wearing it, than leaving it on a shelf at home. I have enough stuff of his kept around the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

If you intend to let it go, advertise it as it is. From the price quoted for a back it must be a high value piece. The next owner might be a hobbiest who will chase down a back or know a watchmaker who can help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,109 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You can't see the back when you're wearing it. I don't understand why it would be a concern. Hold on to it and give it to your kids.

listermint wrote: »
    You can't see the back when you're wearing it. I don't understand why it would be a concern. Hold on to it and give it to your kids.

I don’t have kids, pal. And don’t plan on having any at 42.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Don’t get excited about the value because of the extortionate caseback price, without the engraving you are probably looking at high 3 figures touching 4

Post a pic of the caseback if you want, some engraving is light and can be removed easily, you will pick up a caseback on eBay for 10-20 quid

Or just leave it, most people won’t care tbh

The lady said it can’t be removed easily, I think that’s why she got a price for the case back. (The engraving I mean)

OmegaGene wrote: »
    My advice is don’t believe everything you hear, I dropped in a Vintage omega to get a battery change for someone and I didn’t have the right battery at home, the fella in the shop said it was a tricky one because they have to go in from the front and take off the glass first and then the dial and then the movement so it might take a few hours.
    I couldn’t stop laughing tbh I have changed the battery myself in it two years previously by opening the caseback and it took all of a minute

I left the watch in to have the battery changed. She said the new battery was €10 and could be collected tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,273 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

It looks like a quartz Deville

Smallish

Won’t be worth much more than 8/900 euro

Cyrus wrote: »
    It looks like a quartz Deville

Smallish

Won’t be worth much more than 8/900 euro

Even with an engraving?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Forget about polishing imho. If its deep it can mishape the caseback. If you can get a second hand one, fine. But if you're selling, let the new buyer worry about it.

Personally, I'd get it cleaned up and use it as a dress watch. Looks very nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,109 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I don’t have kids, pal. And don’t plan on having any at 42.

Ok 'pal'....

Pics from the back. number reads 55935945

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Nice to see the 25 Years Service,don't believe many places would still do it today. Posted my Grandfather's Tissot he got after 25 years working for Unidare Cables [Link].

Great watch with a nice story attached, best of luck with whatever you decide to do with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Nice to keep if you can. Gold probably not as fashionable now, but still, nice to have something gold in the collection

Would any of ye know how much it costs to get a certificate of authenticity?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,273 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Would any of ye know how much it costs to get a certificate of authenticity?

Get it serviced by omega and a receipt from them is the same thing

But it’s not going to be worth it

Advertisement