Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart meter isolation switch

Options
  • 07-08-2020 9:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭

I'll be getting a smart meter installed in the next year, no notification date yet. Is it possible to request the installer install an isolation switch after the meter or do they install the meter only usually?

This switch would be after the meter and main fuse but before the consumer unit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭meercat

alan4cult wrote: »
    I'll be getting a smart meter installed in the next year, no notification date yet. Is it possible to request the installer install an isolation switch after the meter or do they install the meter only usually?

This switch would be after the meter and main fuse but before the consumer unit.

Esbn are required to install a switch after the meter so you shouldn’t have to request one (although this isn’t always fitted). A rec who observes this is supposed to inform Esbn

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭sparcocars

The snaer metwrs being fitted don't have an integral isolator switch like some of the digital meters have but esb will fit a seperate isolator with the smart meter.

As meercat said you won't need to request this.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,353 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

alan4cult wrote: »

Asking as a consumer, in the case of an external meter, where would the proposed isolation switch be located?

My smart meter was installed in March last, the installer did not ask to come into my house.

coylemj wrote: »
    Asking as a consumer, in the case of an external meter, where would the proposed isolation switch be located?

My smart meter was installed in March last, the installer did not ask to come into my house.

Beside the meter,in the cabinet

• Advertisement

meercat wrote: »
    Beside the meter,in the cabinet

Doesn't that mean that a prankster could open the box and cut off my power?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Yes.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Nothing new here.
    This could always have been done. Even in cases where there is no isolator the fuse could simply be pulled. This would of course be a stupid thing to do, but it is easily done.

Is there a fuse and/or isolator switch on my meter ....

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Is there a fuse and/or isolator switch on my meter ....

See the 2 grey cables entering the bottom of the meter? They should come from a fuse.

This link may help.

• Advertisement

2011 wrote: »
    See the 2 grey cables entering the bottom of the meter? They should come from a fuse.

+1 have to confess that I never even noticed it!

+1 have to confess that I never even noticed it!

That's the one :)
    If that fuse was pulled the house would have no power.

2011 wrote: »
    That's the one :)
    If that fuse was pulled the house would have no power.

Cheers. I’m guessing that the fire brigade would pull that fuse as part of their standard procedures if there was evidence of a fire within.

Cheers. I’m guessing that the fire brigade would pull that fuse as part of their standard procedures if there was evidence of a fire within.

I don’t think so. Fireman’s switches are sometimes installed but not normally in a domestic installation.

Yes they do. And they also call out Esbn

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Shadow_2003

We’re planning to have our consumer unit upgraded in a couple months, today I noticed there’s no isolator switch at the ESB meter, we had a smart meter installed a few years back, shouldn’t ESB have installed an isolator?

page 3 , bottom left

as an aside, when your consumer unit is upgraded it’s also a requirement to upgrade mains cables and earthing including new earth rod. A over current protective device may also be required in your meter cabinet. Your rec will need to provide a certificate to facilitate esbn connection into the meter.

Advertisement