Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new watch

Options
  • 24-06-2020 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭

hi

my current watch is a basic casio: https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/2517883/Trail/searchtext%3ECASIO+DIGITAL+WATCH.htm
    I mainly use it from the time and the stopwatch.

I like the fact that you can see the time when the stopwatch is running.
    I don't like the fact the ate is in the American format of month - day.

The Casio has just died and I am after a new watch.

I like the look of the 'smart' watches, they look respectable IMHO

could anybody recommend a basic smart watch that would do the trick and have a stopwatch etc
    I would like one with physical buttons that you can press.
    and one where the screen is one all the time i.e where you don't have to wake the watch every time you want to know the trime

budget = fe3k all :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I use a miband 4, has all the functionality you need.
    Stopwatch, sleep tracking, fitness and heart rate, notifications from phone and more.

I got mine for @€;28 and the newer version is out now.
    Also consider the honor band 5, in and around the same price.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭obi604

banie01 wrote: »
    I use a miband 4, has all the functionality you need.
    Stopwatch, sleep tracking, fitness and heart rate, notifications from phone and more.

I got mine for @€;28 and the newer version is out now.
    Also consider the honor band 5, in and around the same price.

Thanks.
    There are an awful lot of options out there and I have no notion of the brands.

Where did you buy yours? Would you have a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

I would imagine Banie got his somewhere like Aliexpress/Gearbest/Banggood:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=AS_20200624202636&SearchText=miband+5

https://www.gearbest.com/sale/mi-band-5/

https://www.banggood.com/buy/xiaomi-mi-band-5.html (despite the name it is safe for work ha!)

It'd be a good fitness tracker - I'm not sure how often you'd need to charge it though (and that's the same problem potentially with smart watches - the bigger screened ones might only last 1-2 days in between charging vs. 10 years battery life with a digital watch or potentially indefinite with solar powered etc.)

Xiaomi is a very respectable/reputable tech brand though - my parents love their robot vacuum from them. They're the 3rd(?) largest phone manufacturer in China.

Thirdfox wrote: »
    I would imagine Banie got his somewhere like Aliexpress/Gearbest/Banggood:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=AS_20200624202636&SearchText=miband+5

https://www.gearbest.com/sale/mi-band-5/

https://www.banggood.com/buy/xiaomi-mi-band-5.html (despite the name it is safe for work ha!)

It'd be a good fitness tracker - I'm not sure how often you'd need to charge it though (and that's the same problem potentially with smart watches - the bigger screened ones might only last 1-2 days in between charging vs. 10 years battery life with a digital watch or potentially indefinite with solar powered etc.)

Xiaomi is a very respectable/reputable tech brand though - my parents love their robot vacuum from them. They're the 3rd(?) largest phone manufacturer in China.

Thank you.

Yeah didn’t realise you had to charge these watches. And only getting a few days out of them is annoying.
    Do any of them work off a standard battery?

Also, could see myself getting annoyed at having to ‘wake’ or touch the screen to see the time. Just tell
    me the time without interaction !!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I have the mi band. I bought it off Amazon recently. Just on terms of charging. I charged it the day I received it to 100% and a couple of weeks later I still have 50%. If you like the look and functionality I wouldn't let the charging thing get in the way. The screen is crystal clear. Lovely crisp colours. Lots of functions, etc.

• Advertisement

SeaFields wrote: »
    I have the mi band. I bought it off Amazon recently. Just on terms of charging. I charged it the day I received it to 100% and a couple of weeks later I still have 50%. If you like the look and functionality I wouldn't let the charging thing get in the way. The screen is crystal clear. Lovely crisp colours. Lots of functions, etc.

Thanks. I feel the mi band Type screen is a bit small though. Would like a bigger screen.

Do you have to ‘wake’ or touch yours every time to see the screen?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

obi604 wrote: »
    Thanks. I feel the mi band Type screen is a bit small though. Would like a bigger screen.

Do you have to ‘wake’ or touch yours every time to see the screen?

Yeah. Touching one side brings up the "homepage" as such. It's the first smart wearable device I have. I bought it as a fitness tracker but went cheap initially as I didn't know how much use of get out of one. To be honest it has just become second nature tapping it to see the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Thirdfox"s guess is correct! :)
    I bought mine from HK Goldway on AliExpress.

Mine lasts @3weeks per charge and recharging it is @1hr.
    The touchscreen wake up, you can set it to wake on a wrist flick. So that when you turn your wrist to tell the time, it wakes.

Size wise, it is small compared to a Huawei GT or Samsung Gear but it is perfectly readable and functional.
    My smartwatch comparator would be a Sony from a few years ago, and function, usefulness and everything else the mi band beats hands down at 20% of the cost.

If it could do Google pay it would be near perfect ;)

If it's just time and stopwatch you are after in an easily readable and power miserly format.
    I don't think you will do much better than a casio f91-w really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

From what you are describing, another Casio digital watch is what you really want as opposed to a smart watch. Don't discount that just because smart watches are on trend.

redlead wrote: »
    From what you are describing, another Casio digital watch is what you really want as opposed to a smart watch. Don't discount that just because smart watches are on trend.

u know what , you are not far wrong :)

wish there was a watch that looked like a smart watch, but had the physical buttons and functionality of a casio

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

u know what , you are not far wrong :)

wish there was a watch that looked like a smart watch, but had the physical buttons and functionality of a casio

There's a bajillion variants of Casio digital watches out there, have a look, you might be surprised how little it costs for a stylish little watch with more functionality than you'd expect.

These may or may not tickle your fancy...

Casio Royale / AE-1200WH

WV-58DU-1AVES

STR-300C

AEQ-110W, more of a G-Shock lite

AE-1000W

WaveCeptor WV-59E-1AVEF

WS-2000H, has a step tracker

If you don't want a smartwatch though, maybe look at watches that don't look like a smartwatch?

There's a bajillion variants of Casio digital watches out there, have a look, you might be surprised how little it costs for a stylish little watch with more functionality than you'd expect.

These may or may not tickle your fancy...

Casio Royale / AE-1200WH

WV-58DU-1AVES

STR-300C

AEQ-110W, more of a G-Shock lite

AE-1000W

WaveCeptor WV-59E-1AVEF

WS-2000H, has a step tracker

If you don't want a smartwatch though, maybe look at watches that don't look like a smartwatch?

sorry for delay, and thanks for all those links
    lots of options alright.

got the smart watch for last couple of days, its ok for now. would just like screen on all the time :)
    annoying thing I go to 'timer' and start the timer, if I want to move out of that screen, only way to do so is to exit the timer completely and this automatically resets it to 0

i.e. I cant go to timer, start it and then go off to another screen and come back. I need to stay on timer screen

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Lol, I had a smart watch for a week and just stopped wearing it. The time not displayed all the time was too annoying

Cienciano wrote: »
    Lol, I had a smart watch for a week and just stopped wearing it. The time not displayed all the time was too annoying

What did you opt for after this?

Wish there was a watch that looked like a smart watch and just has physical buttons and behaved like a standard digital watch. I don’t even care about the steps and all this craic. Just like the look of it more so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭Ryath

There's new G shocks coming out with a MIPS LCD display so they do look lot more modern than the 80's lcd display's in most G shocks. Might suit does have bluetooth and smart phone integration but you don't have to use it. Bit pricier though at €150 plus.

https://www.g-central.com/g-shock-g-lide-gbx-100-with-mip-lcd-and-bluetooth/

G-LIDE-GBX-100.jpg

What did you opt for after this?

Wish there was a watch that looked like a smart watch and just has physical buttons and behaved like a standard digital watch. I don’t even care about the steps and all this craic. Just like the look of it more so.

I had other watches, I just stopped wearing the smart watch. From what you mentioned about what you want in a watch, I agree with redlead. A casio. They have all the features you want and have loads of options for under €50. Any digital one they have has an alarm, stop watch etc. Here's amazon's casio collection, digital only under €50. Pick which on you like the look of. Once you find a model number, google it to see if you can pick it up somewhere else cheaper.

I had other watches, I just stopped wearing the smart watch. From what you mentioned about what you want in a watch, I agree with redlead. A casio. They have all the features you want and have loads of options for under €50. Any digital one they have has an alarm, stop watch etc. Here's amazon's casio collection, digital only under €50. Pick which on you like the look of. Once you find a model number, google it to see if you can pick it up somewhere else cheaper.

Yeah. Thing is I’ve had Casio’s for the last 20 years and fancy a change.

I like the look of the smart watches. But don’t like the fact you have to ‘wake‘ them and the lack of physical buttons and just a simple stopwatch interface.

Anyone aware of any smart watches that are always on?

I.e. you don’t have to wake the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Anyone aware of any smart watches that are always on?

I.e. you don’t have to wake the screen.
    Apple Watch Series 5

david wrote: »
    Apple Watch Series 5

Thanks, any cheaper version? :pac::D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

Thanks, any cheaper version? :pac::D

It wouldn't be the watches and timepieces forum if a suggestion wasn't multiples of your budget; so here you go, The Tag Connected, go on, treat yourself :D

https://www.tagheuer.com/ie/en/smartwatches/collections/tag-heuer-connected/45-mm/SBG8A11.BA0646.html

redlead wrote: »
    It wouldn't be the watches and timepieces forum if a suggestion wasn't multiples of your budget; so here you go, The Tag Connected, go on, treat yourself :D

https://www.tagheuer.com/ie/en/smartwatches/collections/tag-heuer-connected/45-mm/SBG8A11.BA0646.html

:pac: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭C0N0R

To be fair I’ve an Apple Watch series 3, and the not always on doesn’t bother me, it’s very rare that I flick my wrist to check the time and it doesn’t respond. But I guess if you want to use it not on your wrist or something then it could be an issue.

Always on is bad for battery life. For instance, the Apple Watch series 5 has a battery life of "up to" 18 hours when always on. Not even a full day and that's a high end watch.
    I used to laugh at my wifes watch, she would be saying she had a day left and my solar powered g-shock would have 6 months if left in total darkness

If you want something cheap google "top 10 aliexpress smart watches" and take your pick. There's a few around the €30 mark. I'll give you a month before you're back looking for a casio :pac:

Always on is bad for battery life. For instance, the Apple Watch series 5 has a battery life of "up to" 18 hours when always on. Not even a full day and that's a high end watch.
    I used to laugh at my wifes watch, she would be saying she had a day left and my solar powered g-shock would have 6 months if left in total darkness

If you want something cheap google "top 10 aliexpress smart watches" and take your pick. There's a few around the €30 mark. I'll give you a month before you're back looking for a casio :pac:

‘Always on‘ is not bad for battery life on any standard digital watch :) They can be on for years ; )

I probably will be back for a Casio :)

‘Always on‘ is not bad for battery life on any standard digital watch :) They can be on for years ; )

I probably will be back for a Casio :)

Any comments on this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07HZQ84FB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_PFadFbF7BT85A

It seems the date can be changed to format: day-month.

Any comments on this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07HZQ84FB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_PFadFbF7BT85A

It seems the date can be changed to format: day-month.

Anyone have any experience with these timex digital watches?

My choice is between these 2.
    Thoughts?

https://imgur.com/a/EXhdQmE

Either pick the one that has a feature you need or pick the one you think looks best. Personally I'd pick the pulsar, it looks best.

• Advertisement

Anyone aware of any digital Type watches that tell you how far you have walked or ran etc?

Advertisement