Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has Covid changed the way you will plan Holidays in future ?

• 05-08-2020 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭

Just wondering people's thoughts on this ?

For us, we will put more emphasis on Low Deposits and Flexible Cancellation Policies.

Also will be looking at trying to get a Travel Insurance Policy which covers Covid or similar.

We already stay in Airbnbs or Mobiles on Campsites and we would be more reluctant to stay in a Hotel.

How do people feel about flying versus the Ferry ?

Personally, we won't be going abroad on 2020 so looking at 2021 and onwards.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Flew and got a ferry recently.

Only difference is I keep on top of checking the schedules to ensure they are going ahead.
    Also would ensure that where I'm going would have regular alternative flights or trains back to somewhere I can get home from easily, London, Paris for example..

Book hotels/accommodation with free cancellation policies.

Don't care about Insurance policy's unless I was flying to the U.S(health ins) or to India/Asia... but as it will be 2021 before they open up again I'm not thinking of long haul yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,871 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

In our case the last holiday before coronavirus was to Majorca in 2019 and unfortunately we wound up getting a fairly bad case of vomiting bug. My pregnant wife was pretty badly hit, luckily she kept her fluids up and the baby is fine

So for us we were already rethinking some aspects of travelling abroad. Having two kids pushes the cost up obviously so we're looking at more economical options

I can see us avoiding flights where possible until there's some definitive proof on the risk of catching coronavirus while flying. Or wait for the airlines to do something about it, which seems unlikely

So it's probably the ferry for us, at least you can hide in your cabin and avoid people if the situation aboard looks bad.

In terms of destinations, I'd really like to try a self catering holiday camp, looks like lots of fun for the kids. Self catering means less chance of food poisoning and you can give the holiday home a quick clean down to give you peace of mind

Taking your own car gives you freedom of movement without having to get a rental car.

I'd definitely wait until the last possible moment for paying balances and would consider the refundable options if they're within 10-15% of the economy price.

So I think for us the pandemic has accelerated some changes we were already drifting towards

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Advertisement