Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Way to Wire 2 Electric Showers (Same Mains Power Supply, separate building)

Options
  • 03-08-2020 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi All,

I currently have an electric shower in the house and I am looking to connect another in a chalet, which is approx 50 meters away from the house.

The chalet is fed from the main board of the house. There is a 3x16 SWA cable coming from the house to feed the chalet.

What is the best way to wire the 2 showers to allow the feed to automatically switch between both showers as required, but won't allow both showers to come on at the same time?

I'm aware of the priority/non-priority units but this would need a new cable to go from the house to the chalet which I'm looking to avoid. There is also a risk with an additional cable that if I turn off the main power to the chalet from the house, this cable could still be live in the chalet.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

The best solution would be to have only one instantaneous shower, not two. This would save the other issue that I suspect you have which is that the 3 x 16 mm sq. cable is undersized. A careful calculation should be carried out to verify this.

Assuming that was not possible I can not think of a reliable way to resolve this without installing a new cable between the main board and the chalet. I would suggest a solution that uses current sensing relays that allows interlocking of a contractor for each shower unit. This solution would require an ELV signal between boards.

Advertisement