Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Central Microchip registry

Options
  • 29-07-2020 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭

Good afternoon all.

We have two beautiful bassets and with what is going on i am trying to ensure that their microchips are registered to us.

this might be a dumb question but is there a central registry of the microchips.

FWICS it looks like there is 4 or 5. do i need to register with all of them ?

regards
    Jackr

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

I have both my dogs registered with FIDO.....that was always the main one as far as i am aware!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Good afternoon all.

We have two beautiful bassets and with what is going on i am trying to ensure that their microchips are registered to us.

this might be a dumb question but is there a central registry of the microchips.

FWICS it looks like there is 4 or 5. do i need to register with all of them ?

regards
    Jackr

Have you any paperwork relating to the microchips that tells you which database they're registered to?
    You only need to have them registered with one of the 4 proscribed databases. They are Fido, Animark, IKC, and Microdog ID Ltd (the Irish Coursing Club).

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭jackreacher

Good morning.

We have zero paperwork for this dog and just received the registration cert for the other dog yesterday. We messaged the breeder but he said it was two years ago and he no longer breeds and hasnt kept the paperwork.

My plan is to bring the dog to our vet & scan the chip. then hopefully the vet can see which database it is on and then we can update the details then.

Breeder said he will have no problem sign change of ownership form etc once we do the legwork.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Yes, in cases like this, the correct course of action is to go to the vet, who can then initiate the change of ownership process with the database company.
    If one of the chips isn't registered on any database, that can be sorted too.
    It's quite likely that the breeder won't have to sign anything (and, their "hasn't kept the paperwork" story is an excuse I've heard many times, it actually means "I never had any paperwork"!). If either chip is already registered to the breeder, it's more likely that they'll get a phone call from the database company to verify that there has been a change of ownership to you.
    If one or both chips are not registered to the breeder, they won't be contacted at all.

Advertisement