Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Memories of Kerrang/Scuzz/MTV2 etc

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Veering well off topic now but Hillary Woods, JJ72s 'attractive-and-mysterious female bass player' is producing decent music at the moment. Wouldn't categorise it in the Rock & Metal genre but it's got more bite and intensity to it than any JJ72 song (who I actually liked back at the turn of the century).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I liked Trivium when they first came out with Pull Harder...and then Sliptknot with Before I Forget. Also there was this metal band with a kind of fantasy apocalyptic video and this dude with a beard singing "victory", the time signatures were a little unusual. There were lots of good songs at that time, QOTSA, The Mars Volta, even Foo Fighters with Times Like These. I also fondly remember Phantom FM, the metal show with Ray McGowan, discovered Trial by Fire by Testament on his show. There was a guitar teaching channel on Sky too. Actually Freeview was a great way to get your music out there including for yours truly. In 2009 you had Metal Tuune on Propeller and it was awesome because you had fun songs from underdogs like this

this

and this

You basically had a mix of bands like someone you knew down the road and obscure Swedish metal bands, it's the last time I remember of alternative music being aired on TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,228 ✭✭✭✭briany

I seem to remember there was this solo British multi-instrumentalist who MTV 2 were pushing for back in the mid-2000s, big style, for a month, if that. I can't remember his name, but I think he only had one song/album and was never on it again. All I can remember is that the video and his own look was very minimalist, i.e. dark background, black t-shirt job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

@briany Vex Red?

Granadino wrote: »
    @briany Vex Red?

Hmm, I don't think so. Vex Red were a band, weren't they? I remember this as being a single guy. Just one of those vague memories I have from MTV2 that's been on the tip of my tongue for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,902 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

AFI girls not grey

Another classic Kerrang era hit and band

https://youtu.be/1Yzu-4kJg6g

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Smart Bug

Think it was Scuzz ha Dimmu Borgir Progenies... & Arch Enemy We will rise on round the same time. Splendid.

https://youtu.be/kc3Za3jfvJg

This was always played on Kerrang. Real fall from grace for these 2 men/bands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Aaron still going as a country singer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Limp Bizkit are amazing live, they still tour fairly regularly. Not sure how that's a fall from grace? People love to make fun of them, but they don't seem to do too badly out of it.

Limp Bizkit are amazing live, they still tour fairly regularly. Not sure how that's a fall from grace? People love to make fun of them, but they don't seem to do too badly out of it.

I remember Zakk Wylde absolutely hating Limp Bizkit back in the day. Every interview he did for a guitar magazine, he was ripping into Fred Durst big style.

Turns out that Zakk is actually friends with the whole band, now, and his apparent hatred of Limp Bizkit had more to do with being asked by his label if would alter his style to fit in with the rap-metal/nu-metal trends of the time.

Limp Bizkit, instrumentally, is up there with the best to come out of that whole scene, but I have always thought that Fred Durst has a supremely annoying, whiny voice. Case in point - the song 'Boiler' has this amazing atmospheric intro, but just as you're getting into the mood of it, here comes Freddie with his warble, going 'Oooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh'. :mad: It's really a testament to the rest of the band that I can tolerate his whining on some of their better songs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Agree with all that, Limp Bizkit are unfairly maligned in my opinion, mostly due to Dursts personality, lyrical content, claims of cultural appropriation and the audience the band attracted.

Just listening to a podcast about the current trend of my-metal sounds finding it's way into modern pop music and the original music was sneered at yet the current wave is lauded which makes no sense to me.

Sorry couldn't find a random chat type fourm on this thread and this is probably the most applicable

Crazy transformation for the singer in Bowling for Soup. No way would you think its him. Eitherway hope his health and life are in a good place

https://www.joe.co.uk/music/kerrangs-final-run-of-songs-before-going-off-air-has-viewers-in-tears-445500

Rip Kerrang TV

Many a day spent watching and seeing 'American Idiot' and 'Tribute' almost hourly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Ah no way.

I see the Kerrang radio site has become a Rayo site, still going anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Apocalypse Dude

Randomly dropping in to this thread four years later to say you might be thinking of either Rico or VAST? 😁

Advertisement