Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Sewing Machine

• 10-06-2020 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,914 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Its my gf's bday on the 17th and she has been hinting at a sewing machine. Would anyone know where i could order one to arrive before then?. Or a shop open i could go to collect one

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MinnieMinx

Lots of people have got into sewing during lockdown so good machines have been flying off the shelves.
    Whereabouts roughly are you? Is your girlfriend new to sewing or fairly experienced as that will dictate what sort of machine to buy.
    Don’t buy any old sewing machine just because it’s available for quick delivery.
    The Singer Centre in Waterford is very good otherwise, you can order online from a number of places inc. Amazon.
    I recommend a basic Brother such as the LS14 if she’s new to sewing and wants something simple but still a decent quality. I’d steer clear of Singer as the quality’s not there anymore. Janome is another very good brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭wildwillow

She needs to do some reserch into machins before buying. Singer machines for around €100 from Aldi are useless. How about giving her a promise note to buy one and let her do her research. Sometimes a good second hand is better than a cheap new machine.
    I would recommend the Singer centre in Waterford but I know they have been very busy during the lockdown.
    My machine is over forty years old and still perfect, has lots of embroidery stitches. but it was very a expensive purchase at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,914 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Hi All,

I ended up getting her a Husqvarna one from sewingmachines.ie I spoke to a lady over the phone and she guided me as to the best one to get.

Thanks for the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Husqvarna are brilliant machines. Hope she has lots of fun with it.

Also hope she appreciates the gem on a boyfriend she has! Happy celebrations.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Got the brother fs40 with expansion table in Argos and it's very easy to use for a novice.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Just bought a Brother LS14S.

Brought a good wool dressing gown to the local "Snip n Sew" type shop, locally, and it keeps unravelling, about three times!!!
    (emailed the shop I bought it in UK and told them that the workmanship on it was crap also.......not expecting repair costs or anything but if enough people complain.....)

Thinking I'll do a better job with the above and it will pay for itself after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MinnieMinx

If anyone’s interested, there’s a dedicated Facebook group for sewing enthusiasts in Ireland called ‘Sewing in Ireland’. It has over 400 members.
    Newbies and experienced sewers are all welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,757 ✭✭✭volchitsa

I've just bought a husqvarna too, the Jade 20. I haven't sewn anything for years but am very excited about it. I might be interested in the facebook page but as I rarely use facebook, I was hoping to find something/somebody on here. :)

Advertisement