Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Mona Lisa is worth €50 billion

• 21-05-2020 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭

So I just read that the Mona Lisa could be worth €50 billion. Wow. Think of all the people in the world who could benefit from selling this small piece of parchment. People will still visit the Louvre after it’s gone, in same way that people continued to visit Dublin zoo after the famous Chinese pandas went home to Cheng-Du. Sell it and do some good with the cash.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

So I just read that the Mona Lisa could be worth €50 billion. Wow. Think of all the people in the world who could benefit from selling this small piece of parchment. People will still visit the Louvre after it’s gone, in same way that people continued to visit Dublin zoo after the famous Chinese pandas went home to Cheng-Du. Sell it and do some good with the cash.

I visited the Lourve a few years ago...it wasn't even the best painting in the room it was hanging, but the majority of folks were clamoured around the Mona Lisa looking through their camera phones...so many beautiful works in the same room and not even looked at

• Registered Users Posts: 16,303 ✭✭✭✭banie01

OSI wrote: »
    Just because it has a worth, doesn't mean someone will pay that.

I agree but I'd put a slightly different spin on it, in that its actual worth is dictated by what someone is willing to actually pay for it.

@ the O.P, I can place a $50bln price tag on a drawing by my uber talented son, that I think is world class and is near priceless to me.
    Who, however is going to pay it?

The value of the Mona Lisa, and indeed of much of "high" art on display in galleries and collections isn't that it can be flipped for cash.

It's that it serves as an inspiration for others, that it allows minds to grasp beauty and try to better it.
    As an "asset" it has no intrinsic value other than that which people ascribe to it.

Even if the value is appropriate, who would buy it? What market could then sustain the concurrent increase in Renaissance and great master art?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 sunnib

Hi, your view to me seems a variation of the old controversal 'art vs. social' aspect. Good art works in a kind of spiritual way and is of priceless value. If a painting as profound as 'Mona Lisa' was privatised to help in a charitable way humanity would miss out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,522 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    I visited the Lourve a few years ago...it wasn't even the best painting in the room it was hanging, but the majority of folks were clamoured around the Mona Lisa looking through their camera phones...so many beautiful works in the same room and not even looked at

I was there in Feb this year.
    The art in that room is spectacular.
    The people who only had eyes for the Mona Lisa are fools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

I visited the Louvre last year, didn’t bother looking at the Mona Lisa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

50 billion ? It's insured for 100 million ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I was there in Feb this year.
    The art in that room is spectacular.
    The people who only had eyes for the Mona Lisa are fools.

It made me happy & sad...I had plenty of time & space to appreciate the other works in the room... wouldn't be big into art, but I do enjoy it and have a great appreciation for it...but all the clamour to be seen viewing the 'popular' piece was sad...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,568 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Who came up with the valuation of 50 billion? da Vinci currently holds the world record price for a piece of art which was his Salvator Mundi sold at auction in 2017 for a price of $450 million.

Its hard to see how the Mona Lisa would be valued at more than 100 times that price for a work by the same artist.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Who came up with the valuation of 50 billion? da Vinci currently holds the world record price for a piece of art which was his Salvator Mundi sold at auction in 2017 for a price of $450 million.

Its hard to see how the Mona Lisa would be valued at more than 100 times that price for a work by the same artist.

It was listed in the buy and sell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

It was listed in the buy and sell.

Haven’t thought about Buy and Sell magazine for years. I sold my Amiga 500+ on it back in early 90’s. Used the proceeds and some more cash to get an Amiga 1200.

I remember I had a Technics stereo for sale in early 2000’s (I think it was online by that stage) had someone wanting me to post it to Nigeria. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement