Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

New to Returning to Sewing? Need help?

• 27-04-2020 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭

It seems the stores I've seen that are the busiest are the sewing and fabric stores.

Who is making use of the free time by dusting off the machine?

I've had people that haven't sewen in 20 years in touch for help in the last few weeks, great to see it.

I know a lot of it is masks, scrubs etc, but it also a view that it's now or never!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

My daughter tried to get our sewing machine working but there is a problem getting the thread hooked up. We have watched youtube videos but it looks like there is an issue with the machine. Is there anywhere online I could get advice on troubleshooting this or can anyone on here help?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Would you have the make/model?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

It's a Brother xl-2220nt.

The issue is with the thread catching from the bobbin.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

Is there anywhere open to buy fabric? Am making masks but could do with fresh supplies!
    Sorry I now see someone has already posted and I see online shop in Dublin
    https://thefabriccounter.ie
    But seem out of stock for items I need.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

It's a Brother xl-2220nt.

The issue is with the thread catching from the bobbin.

As this is top loading sewing machine, there are 2 reasons you can't get the thread up. 1 is the bobbin and 2 is the timing.

You should be using a plastic bobbin, 11mm high.

thread the top of the machine.

take out the bobbin again. put it on the table in fron tod the machine. the thread should be unfurling anti clockwise.

pick the bobbin up and keeping it the same way, drop it in to the bobbin holder.
    put your left index finger on the bobbin and take the thread in your right hand, move the thread clockwise and slot it through the 2 thread guides in the bobbin holder.

now take the thread in your left hand and pull out about 6 inches and leave it to the leftside.

Now take the top thread in your left hand and rest your fist on the table to the left of the machine.

now with your right hand, slowly twist the fly wheel ( the wheel above the power switch that moves the needle up and down) towards you

all the time keep holding the top thread in your left hand with your hand on the table, keep turning it towards you until you see the top thread pass over the bobbin

when you see a loop come up, stop, take a closed scissors into the loop and guide the thread to the left.

Now you are ready to sew.

If you keep turning the fly wheel and the thread passes over but doesnt come up, it may be a timing issue which you'd probably to send for service to fix.

BROTHER-BOBBIN.jpg[/url

• Advertisement
Advertisement