Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

DIY Hand Sanitiser

• 18-03-2020 2:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭

My partner's daughter is using DIY hand sanitiser using cheap Vodka and Aloe Vera gel - it may be better than nothing but I am not sure. Or she will ruin her hands in a month and have bacterial skin issues.
    I have a bottle of isopropyl alcohol but no aloe vera gel - I do have an Aloe Plant but no idea how to extract the gel efficiently, but if the Aloe is just a skin emollient can I use almond oil or a cream base lotion to carry the alcohol - as I have them already and not looking to buy more stuff. Or other suggestions to "carry" the alcohol. thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 I right I

My partner's daughter is using DIY hand sanitiser using cheap Vodka and Aloe Vera gel - it may be better than nothing but I am not sure.

Vodka doesn't have enough alcohol to be effective.

Also, you need anti-viral, not antibacterial disinfectants.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Glycerin or propyl glycol, they're the bese ingredients for every moisturiser.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭makeandcreate

I right I wrote: »
    Vodka doesn't have enough alcohol to be effective.

Also, you need anti-viral, not antibacterial disinfectants.

Thanks for reply - but how do you define anti-viral - I have essential oils and lots of sheeple claim they can cure cancer - but what's anti viral in real laymans terms.... as in we may have it in the cupboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,849 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

My partner's daughter is using DIY hand sanitiser using cheap Vodka and Aloe Vera gel - it may be better than nothing but I am not sure. Or she will ruin her hands in a month and have bacterial skin issues.
    This is probably of little use. To be effective against viruses and bacteria, an alcohol based steriliser needs to be 70%-80% alcohol. Even neat vodka is not this strong, and diluting it with aloe vera (or anything else) makes it weaker still. She should save her vodka for the purpose which God intended.
    I have a bottle of isopropyl alcohol but no aloe vera gel - I do have an Aloe Plant but no idea how to extract the gel efficiently, but if the Aloe is just a skin emollient can I use almond oil or a cream base lotion to carry the alcohol - as I have them already and not looking to buy more stuff. Or other suggestions to "carry" the alcohol. thanks.
    Check the label to see if what you have is 100% alcohol, or a diluted mixture of about 70% alcohol. (Alcohol sold for domestic purposes is often the latter.)

If what you have is pure alcohol then, yes, you can mix in with AV in the ratio of 3 parts alcohol to 1 part (or less) AV. You may have trouble getting it to mix and/or to stay mixed, in which case just shake or stir vigorously before use, every time.

The AV does nothing to sterilise, but it does help to prevent your skin from chapping and cracking (which is what neat alcohol would do to it), and cracks in the skin increase the risk of infection. Glycerol will do the job equally well.

If what you have is 70% alcohol, then you can't really dilute it any further. You can use it as a handwash, but it will damage your skin. You can try and remedy this by applying AV after you have sterilised with alcohol, but this will have only limited effect, and damage to your skin will accumulate. And, as noted, that presents its own infection risks.

It should be pointed out that, no matter how good your hand sanitiser, washing with ordinary soap and water is going to be more effective, so only use hand sanitiser when the option of washing with soap and water is not available. In any situation where you have the choice of hand sanitiser or washing your hands, wash your hands.

grindle wrote: »
    Glycerin or propyl glycol, they're the bese ingredients for every moisturiser.

thanks. Would almond/grape oil etc compare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

thanks. Would almond/grape oil etc compare
    Oils and alcohol are miscible, yes.

Thanks for reply - but how do you define anti-viral - I have essential oils and lots of sheeple claim they can cure cancer - but what's anti viral in real laymans terms.... as in we may have it in the cupboard.
    Alcohol-based sanitisers are effective against both bacteria and viruses.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    This is probably of little use. To be effective against viruses and bacteria, an alcohol based steriliser needs to be 70%-80% alcohol. Even neat vodka is not this strong, and diluting it with aloe vera (or anything else) makes it weaker still. She should save her vodka for the purpose which God intended.

Check the label to see if what you have is 100% alcohol, or a diluted mixture of about 70% alcohol. (Alcohol sold for domestic purposes is often the latter.)

If what you have is pure alcohol then, yes, you can mix in with AV in the ratio of 3 parts alcohol to 1 part (or less) AV. You may have trouble getting it to mix and/or to stay mixed, in which case just shake or stir vigorously before use, every time.

The AV doess nothing to sterilise, but it does help to prevent your skin from chapping and cracking (which is what neat alcohol would do to it), and cracks in the skin increase the risk of infection. Glycerol will do the job equally well.

If what you have is 70% alcohol, then you can't really dilute it any further. You can use it as a handwash, but it will damage your skin. You can try and remedy this by applying AV after you have sterilised with alcohol, but this will have only limited effect, and damage to your skin will accumulate. And, as noted, that presents its own infection risks.

It should be pointed out that, no matter how good your hand sanitiser, washing with ordinary soap and water is going to be more effective, so only use hand sanitiser when the option of washing with soap and water is not available. In any situation where you have the choice of hand sanitiser or washing your hands, wash your hands.

Thank you. I will print this off for her - but she has a history of slight OCD, so wont believe simple soap will help.

Thank you. I will print this off for her - but she has a history of slight OCD, so wont believe simple soap will help.
    Encourage her to use hand sanitiser as well as handwashing, rather than instead of. The vodka/AV mix is basically useless, but because of the AV it shouldn't damage her skin, so she's not harming herself, or undermining the effect of the handwashing.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,192 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Tell her to lash a load of vodka into the soap. Won’t do any good, but she’ll feel like she’s doing something proactive.

In terms of pointless ritualistic actions to gain a sense of agency, it beats the crap out of buying pasta and bog roll. The soap will do it’s job, and she’ll be doing nobody any harm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭SixtaWalthers

I think most of us used DIY hand sanitizers. We used alcohol and mixing it with aloe vera. We tool aloe vera from plant directly and mashed it in a mixer. For softness, you can also add any ingredient.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,178 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

And a drop or two of your favourite essential oil (bergamot, in my case). Just make sure the ratio of alcohol to gel is correct, too little alcohol won't be effective.

Advertisement