Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Builder, do you get tough with them

Options
  • 13-08-2020 7:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭

Building a small extension. Blocklayer laid blocks to ground level today week. Builder said they would backfill this week and blocklayer would be back. Only coming to measure for backfill today. Bit pee'd off as I feel a week has been lost. Do you stand up to them and say that or just keep your thoughts to yourself. Under a tight timeframe

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Tough but fair, builders need to keep 4 or 5 jobs going at the same time as if the y focus in one job when its finishhed no work, so basically they have to juggle things around and keep everyone happy.
    Just have a chat and explain your tight situation as most builders are pretty well grounded people.
    I did a new build 10+ years ago and managed construction myself, i was in a situation like yours with the roofer, when he came the fallowing week i asked, how do you manage which job to go to on a given week? i then added or is it whoever calles and gives you a bit of stick, his reply. Something like that...

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭bfclancy

Cal04 wrote: »
    Building a small extension. Blocklayer laid blocks to ground level today week. Builder said they would backfill this week and blocklayer would be back. Only coming to measure for backfill today. Bit pee'd off as I feel a week has been lost. Do you stand up to them and say that or just keep your thoughts to yourself. Under a tight timeframe

do you expect him to backfill freshly laid blocks the day after, would need at least a week to cure before even attempting backfill. most blocklayers would be keeping at least two to three jobs going in tandem or else would be out of work when one job ends. do you have a contract with the builder specifying a time frame. are they managing the entire build

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Cal04

All is forgiven, valid reason they weren't on. Back on site today

Advertisement