Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iomega 500gb

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

Any reports on their reliability?

90 day warranty wouldn't inspire confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

It's fairly standard for refurbs, tbh. Dabs.ie often sell reconditioned/factory returns with 90 days warranty.

Thanks OP.

[edit: Aaargh, out of stock again! :(]

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭nulabert

Gone again. You must have got the last 6 OP.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I'm guessing this has expired now. :(

Annoyed as I was finally going to buy one!

You're annoyed? I sat here typing an answer to Badgermonkey instead of completing the checkout... :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭C.O.Y.B.I.B

Sorry guys for snapping up so many , but it was between 4 of us , it's not for reselling or anything . There is a Notify Me button on the site that alerts you when theyre back in stock which is how I came across them this morning.

peckerhead wrote: »
    You're annoyed? I sat here typing an answer to Badgermonkey instead of completing the checkout... :p

I owe you 1 hard drive with slightly dodgy credentials. :D

They're back. :cool:

But this time I ordered mine first...

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Vinny-Chase

Just picked one up. €40 delivered. Nothing wrong with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,781 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Picked one up for my WDTV..

.. hope they're fairly fast!

• Advertisement

And gone again!

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Scarlet42

gone! :mad:

Reduced to £44.99 on Amazon, if that's any use?

[Edit: whoops, no, sorry — that's the 320GB version. The 500GB drive is £54.75...]

peckerhead wrote: »
    They're back. :cool:

But this time I ordered mine first...

Yo Peckerhead,

Statute of limitations applies to my offer above, you're payin' for that yourself.

Nah, don't worry, I hacked your Paypal account. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

They're back.. I forgot to use the code. Oh well!

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭jeepers101

Gone again :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ecomac

I got mine yesterday and it's faulty. Also housing has plenty small scratches, it's not really reconditioned. I've sent an email to their customer service yesterday morning, but no reply yet.

:( That's a bummer. I see from their T&C that they don't refund return postage costs if you simply change your mind within seven days, but surely they can't stick you for those if the product is significantly "not as described" — and I assume cosmetic damage comes under that heading?

• Advertisement

Those scratches are not the worst, the drive simply is f*** and DOA. It makes only several clicks and spins down. We'll see how would they deal with complaints. Anyway I'd have to probably pay for posting the item back, which brings the total price to regular local shop price for a NEW drive (around 50 quids).

Sorry, I didn't read your post carefully enough (missed the "Also" :o). If the drive is faulty/DOA then I'd say there's no way they can stiff you on the postage. Quote their own warranty to them:
    Iomega warrants your refurbished or other-than-new product (“Reconditioned Product”) to be free from defects in materials and workmanship for the warranty period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Refurbishment often means taking customer returns, cleaning them and putting them in a brown box. They probably aren't even going as far as reading the smart info off the drives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 659 ✭✭✭ToadVine

Just got one.

I got a reconditioned media player from iomega a few months ago, and although it had minor cosmetic scratches on the housing, the hard drive itself is working brilliantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

Harvey Norman are selling similar buffalo 500gb drives for €49.99 - I bought several for work, so with the VAT off they come to €41 odd - significantly cheaper than our regular suppliers were selling them on for.
    I'm impressed with them anyway and it's a pretty good price for bricks and mortar.

Arrived today..

.. and now to do some diagnostics to check for bad sectors etc.

Something Quackles will identify with (an in-joke!) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Philsopher

Folks, please don't waste your money on buying these re-conditioned models - I know as I bought one in January and it didn't last a week!! To make matters worse, their customer service is a joke - I've been in touch 4 times now and all I've got so far is an automated reply. The guarantee is still valid but it looks like my money is down the drain as there isn't much I can do if they won't respond to me. Not a happy camper at all!! :mad:

I ran a ChkDsk on mine over the weekend.. and it came up absolutely clean!

It looks pristine too.

I've the same impression as you Philsopher, besides the drive plus shipping cost is not too far from a regular HDD price with full, 1 or 2 years warranty. Well, everyday is a school day.

• Advertisement

Philsopher wrote: »
    Folks, please don't waste your money on buying these re-conditioned models - I know as I bought one in January and it didn't last a week!! To make matters worse, their customer service is a joke - I've been in touch 4 times now and all I've got so far is an automated reply. The guarantee is still valid but it looks like my money is down the drain as there isn't much I can do if they won't respond to me. Not a happy camper at all!! :mad:
    I would contact their office in Cork, give them the details in writing, point out the unreasonable lapse of time and say that you'd like your money refunded or you'll have no option but to instruct your legal representatives.

Iomega Ireland Sarl
    Regus House Block 4
    Harcourt Centre
    Harcourt Road
    Cork
    Telephone: 021-4351456

Sorry you've had a bad experience, but you don't have to accept it as some kind of "bad luck". I bought five of these, so no shipping, and no problems with any of them so far.

Advertisement