Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A Garmin that does GPS Tracing?

• 09-10-2009 1:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I hope this is in the correct thread. Is there any current Garmin Sat Nav model that allows me to download traces of routes that I have done to my PC and upload them to the likes of www.openstreetmap.org and other applications. Or am I wrong in thinking that the Sat Nav does this on it's own and I need another device attached to my Sat Nav for tracing?

Kind Regards
    DANNO!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

My 760 does, so I assume most current models do as well. Just connect it to the PC and copy current.gpx from the \Garmin\GPX folder to somewhere on your PC. It will contain all your favourites plus a whole load of separate tracks of your recent journeys. I don't know what it's limited to in terms of track points, time, file size or whatever though. If you have a number of tracks in the file you'll have to somehow edit out the ones you don't want (I assume you'll be able to do that on openstreetmap, I'm not familiar with it). You can clear the current trip log as it's called through Setup > My data > Clear trip log.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Thank You very much Alun - a great help. Could not find that info on the Garmin Website believe it or not! Are they not in the business of advertising all features of their SatNavs!!!

The newer model Nuvii 765, any opinions on this - does it do the same tracing?

Kind Regards
    Danno!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

The 705 for cycling does this I think. Do you want a proper car mounted device or are you looking for portable?

I want it for 2 weeks to go around in my car with - just to trace a couple of routes. I dont need mounting - I guess the windscreen mount comes with most models, such as the 760 and 765 and that would suffice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Most models do.

I have a GPSMap 60csx and that does exactly that (and a lot more). The tracks are downloaded to Mapsource, Garmins mapping program on the PC, then saved as a file and uploaded to OSM.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭prodigal_son

I have a 765t, and it keeps the last route driven for sure, I haven't tried getting it off the device, or looking at what other ones it keeps, but ill have a look.

Advertisement