Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covered patio/ outdoor kitchen area planning

• 13-08-2020 1:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭

I am looking to improve my garden use by creating a sun trap, building some walls to create a courtyard of about 150 m2, in which I hope to have some patio area and an outdoor covered kitchen/bar dining area (less than 25m2)- not directly attached to the house.

Would this be classed as an extension ?

Ten years ago I got planning permission and completed a dormer conversion upstairs as well as a retention planning permission for the garage that was built by previous owner

So- if my covered patio area would be classed as extension, do the floor areas from garage and dormer conversion ( 100 m2 in total) count towards the 40 sqm limitation here :

Where the house has been extended previously, the floor area of any such extension, taken together with the floor area of any previous extension or extensions constructed or erected after 1 October 1964, including those for which planning permission has been obtained, shall not exceed 40 square metres.

I know I will have to get some professional advice down the line, but as I am now in high level design brainstorming phase, it would be good to know what I would be dealing with and whether to shelve the covered patio idea

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭yurtyaherne

I am looking to improve my garden use by creating a sun trap, building some walls to create a courtyard of about 150 m2, in which I hope to have some patio area and an outdoor covered kitchen/bar dining area (less than 25m2)- not directly attached to the house.

Would this be classed as an extension ?

Ten years ago I got planning permission and completed a dormer conversion upstairs as well as a retention planning permission for the garage that was built by previous owner

So- if my covered patio area would be classed as extension, do the floor areas from garage and dormer conversion ( 100 m2 in total) count towards the 40 sqm limitation here :

Where the house has been extended previously, the floor area of any such extension, taken together with the floor area of any previous extension or extensions constructed or erected after 1 October 1964, including those for which planning permission has been obtained, shall not exceed 40 square metres.

I know I will have to get some professional advice down the line, but as I am now in high level design brainstorming phase, it would be good to know what I would be dealing with and whether to shelve the covered patio idea

The class of exemption a domestic extension and garage would be two separate classes.

The dormer conversion, if 40sqm or greater, would preclude you from availing of the exemption to build further extensions without permission.

The garage, if 25sqm or greater, would preclude you from availing of the exemption to build further garages/sheds/stores etc without permission.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

The class of exemption a domestic extension and garage would be two separate classes.

The dormer conversion, if 40sqm or greater, would preclude you from availing of the exemption to build further extensions without permission.

The garage, if 25sqm or greater, would preclude you from availing of the exemption to build further garages/sheds/stores etc without permission.

Thanks for the clarification.. would you also know whether a covered patio is classed as an extension ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Thanks for the clarification.. would you also know whether a covered patio is classed as an extension ?

I think it would. Realistically you can only build walls 1.8m tall for garden walls. These will be higher and enclosed with a roof so you'll technically need planning.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Yes in my opinion.
    It’s also a structure over 2m which is the limit rear walls etc
    But you may be able to claim exemption if under the 40 Sq. M and all other conditions relative to exempted development are met.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

Dudda wrote: »
    I think it would. Realistically you can only build walls 1.8m tall for garden walls. These will be higher and enclosed with a roof so you'll technically need planning.

Thanks - yes makes sense.. I think it is 2m limit, but not really relevant.. however it may actually become relevant if I decide to put the walls at field level, whilst having the patio at house ground level ( 1m roughly in difference)..

Anyway - it is clear, professional advice required and probably just best to get the planning in, I doubt any objections will come forward, as the closest neighbours that side are about 200m away and would only see the wall if they look through a window they never got planning for :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement