Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

American styled houses in Ireland

• 04-08-2020 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭

Hi all, just wanted to find out if anyone has photos of American styled houses built in Ireland?

I understand they are probably rare enough because of the planning laws etc etc and materials would be different but id love to find out more about them in Ireland if they are being built at all or examples of them here.

Anyone have any info on this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I think I know the type of houses you mean, mostly dating from the ‘80’s to early ‘90’s, sprawling large houses, lots of faux add ons, white picket fences, that sort of thing? Or are you talking about something more contemporary?

The odd one I see like the above looks horribly dated now and very out of place. The planners don’t tend to look favourably on designs like that anymore, same goes for big box dormers, mock Georgian mansions, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭dave 27

Thanks for the replies, it was more traditional style i was thinking of, see below exmples.

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/291045194640281042/

https://www.alamy.com/southern-style-house-american-home-image181135682.html

Are there any Irish books that incorporate this style or can you even build them with planning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

• Subscribers Posts: 41,822 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

dave 27 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies, it was more traditional style i was thinking of, see below exmples.

Are there any Irish books that incorporate this style or can you even build them with planning?

Not out in the countryside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,135 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

dave 27 wrote: »

That style of house makes no sense in Ireland, architecturally. The climate is all wrong for it.

As looksee posted on the Veranda thread:
    the veranda is part of the main structure, and despite the arguments above is designed to keep light (and thus heat) out of a house, which is why they are less appropriate in Ireland where we mostly have only just enough light.

And I doubt you would find that style of house in parts of the US which have anything close to Ireland's climate. So it's not really "traditional", since time and space are connected.

On which subject, which part of the US is closest to Irish climate? In terms of minimum temperatures you can look at "plant hardiness zones", in which Ireland is 9a/9b. Looking at US plant maps, the east coast with Ireland's winter minimums is too hot in summer; going up the west coast northwards to limit summer maximums you get Oregon or Washington State. But it's continental weather so is never going to be directly comparable.

Anyway, what's Oregon vernacular housing like? This?

The porch is interesting, though presumably it's for rain rather than sun. :)

image.png

As well as climate there's materials (e.g used in the cladding). The history of timber in Ireland (and specifically deforestation of broadleaf forests and eventual replacement with f'ing spruce) is quite fascinating (to me, anyway), a lot of the hardwoods went to ship building I think.

So the English oak thing never really caught on here, although maybe geology and Brit-induced poverty was another. It was probably cheaper to pay famine labour to dig clay out of the ground (see "Brickfield" on old estate maps) and gather field stone than bother with wood which would rot away in the high humidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭dave 27

I understand about the building materials, ive seen near me a house with brick build-up but with a nice front varanda like in the ones i posted which looked so nice and make me to believe they were possibly more common

• Administrators Posts: 54,087 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

There are some houses in Greystones that have the American style veranda around the house:

b3453b21-a0c4-4ad0-a30d-2a2b89b2657a_m.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,135 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Ah yeah, those are on Google Maps now.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.1476092,-6.0860811,3a,32.6y,357.56h,90.74t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sjGDHFbhG5L7zY2AwASqc0A!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Every time I drive past them I feel a strong sense of love/hate. They face towards the sea, but I suspect the view will be blocked by the houses being built over the road, which is a main road and so quite busy.

So what are you supposed to do with that verandah? Sit out watching the cars whizz by?

• Administrators Posts: 54,087 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Lumen wrote: »
    Ah yeah, those are on Google Maps now.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.1476092,-6.0860811,3a,32.6y,357.56h,90.74t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sjGDHFbhG5L7zY2AwASqc0A!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Every time I drive past them I feel a strong sense of love/hate. They face towards the sea, but I suspect the view will be blocked by the houses being built over the road, which is a main road and so quite busy.

So what are you supposed to do with that verandah? Sit out watching the cars whizz by?

There's one or two of them that are high up enough that you'd have a nice sea view from your veranda.

I really like the look of them, they are a bit different to the norm.

• Advertisement

i don't get the climate argument?

Al ot of houses in Finland & Sweden look like those American style houses, timber on the outside, verandas all around.
    they are definately not trying to keep the sun out in those countries!

Maybe you could look at some of the houses from there OP? see if there are plans for them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭booooonzo

bubblypop wrote: »

Al ot of houses in Finland & Sweden look like those American style houses, timber on the outside, verandas all around.

Maybe you could look at some of the houses from there OP? see if there are plans for them?

I've had this discussion with builder mates of mine. they all say "our climate doesnt suit" but i'm not so sure I agree either but i'm no expert..

I think the Veranda makes such sense and would allow for more out door living in our summers between showers!

Our house had decking installed when it was all the rage no doubt and then the whole lot was covered over.... at least it's useable most of the time now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Isn't the modern trend of making a garden an outside room just a variation of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Having lived in Finland, while the autumn humidity can be high, for the rest of the year it is quite dry. In winter your lips crack easily while there's snow around. TImber is quite a long lasting material there.

The veranda concept I think could be adapted for here - certainly commercial building use brise soleil which does similar function...

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭3d4life

they are definately not trying to keep the sun out in those countries!...

Provides some protection for a snow free walkway around the house. ( not just Finland and Sweden either - e.g. traditional alpine chalets )

Houses with a lot of exposed timber tend to be in dry ( if cold ) climates. For better or worse our 'warm', humid climate promotes timber rot.

Perhaps in the Irish climate 'concrete built is better built' :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭booooonzo

I noticed in NZ they had massive over hangs on their retail units (and some housing) which was great for the wet weather. Probably more so a necessity with the snow also but worked so well

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

3d4life wrote: »
    Provides some protection for a snow free walkway around the house. ( not just Finland and Sweden either - e.g. traditional alpine chalets )

Houses with a lot of exposed timber tend to be in dry ( if cold ) climates. For better or worse our 'warm', humid climate promotes timber rot.

Perhaps in the Irish climate 'concrete built is better built' :D

Typical west of Norway houses are subjected to over two metres of rain per annum. Their summers can be warmer and winters colder, but not incredibly so. The climate argument doesn't stack up.

My number one concern is not having a project team who can design and detail the house properly to the local climate and a builder competent in all wooden domestic construction.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭3d4life

Tabnabs wrote: »
    ....My number one concern is not having a project team who can design and detail the house properly to the local climate and a builder competent in all wooden domestic construction.

Nail on head !

Meanwhile, some entertainment : https://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/596837-here-we-build-them-wood.html

<edit>

In Japan they do it with precision :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_PwiyWM9nc

Advertisement