Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Project: Payment for altering taglines.

Options
  • 03-09-2002 2:27pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This is an idea that came up a while ago.

1. Person pays X to change their tagline.
    2. Person pays 2X to change someone elses tagline
    3. Person pays 3-4X to lock their tagline so that it cant be changed by anyone using method 2.

We've set up the credit card stuff but I dont have the PHP skillz to code the user interface/management stuff.

DeV.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

icon14.gif

Cé méid euró?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I dunno. its basically a fun game to get people to assist boards.ie financially. I wouldnt be thinking much at all... maybe x=2 or 3 euro?

so 2,5 and 10 euro respectively?

Depends what people think...anyway it would be a softcoded variable so its not a key factor right now...

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

I like it, alot.

Hope this paves the way for @boards.ie email addy's and the like too :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Most of this stuff can and should be done from "outside" vB. For one, it ensures that you don't have to reintegrate hacks every time you upgrade; for two, it means you don't run afoul of any licencing issues -- all the haX0R needs is an SQL layout of the table. So you give them the layout, they write the code for changing the tags. Then you add a layer on top of that which allows (or disallows) a user from accessing it depending on a result from the payment processing server. Ta da! I'd write it meself only I'm busy. Maybe next week.

adam

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

yes, thats what I'm thinking for all the projects where possible...

Yes, this also is the start of Boards.ie mail addresses as part of a "supporters" pack.

DeV.

• Advertisement

Dahamsta, nothing is going to start this week, or indeed next week. We have to get the environment set up and agreed etc...
    So, if you are interested knock yerself out. And yes, the way you are suggesting it is what I was thinking.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Gaz

Sorry , really n00b question but what are taglines ?

Im guessing its insane poster etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by DeVore
    I dunno. its basically a fun game to get people to assist boards.ie financially. I wouldnt be thinking much at all... maybe x=2 or 3 euro?

so 2,5 and 10 euro respectively?

Depends what people think...anyway it would be a softcoded variable so its not a key factor right now...

DeV.

Thinking out loud here..
    do it as a poker game with randomnly generated cards where people can raise half the pot etc...
    mm

Jesus JD... talk about project scope creep hehehe...

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by DeVore
    Jesus JD... talk about project scope creep hehehe...

DeV.
    I usually take it rather than give it (I'm talking about feature creep here...:D ).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Most of this stuff can and should be done from "outside" vB.

I presume the move to vB 3 will happen before any coding is done.

I agree that it should be kept as seperate as possible, though I am assuming that vB keep the same basic DB structure through versions and add features to it.

Seperate feature written to the database by a single well commented script.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

I don't think we're going to see VBB 3 for some months yet, so its best to assume that we'll be staying with VBB 2.2.x for the forseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

DeV surely you can come up with the basics for a UI, simple html would do. it can be stuck into a .php file and then have the backend management system working away for you.

A new database for the CC transactions would be good. I'm currently starting an ordering system for an online site, so I can give a hand here too. Design isn't my thing thou, coding is.

As i said in anotther thread, im available :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I dont like the idea of someone changing my tag line. Say i spend all of 2 euro, which i do have in my pocket ... then someone goes and changes the tag line to something annoying. I dont think other people should be able to change tag lines.....that would be just annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Then pay the 10 Euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭hacktavist

I say have it so you have to raise it each time someone changes it.
    Like if someone changed my tagline I could lock it and then the next time they'd have to pay twice as much or whatever I wouldnt have to pay more to lock it so it would always be affordable for the person at least.
    This way you could make loads on people who noone likes and everyone wants to change there tagline to 'gay' or whatever.
    And have the locking last a week or whatever.

No, once you pay for a tagline to be locked it remains locked for a year. I want this to be fun not financially crippling!

Also any really nasty taglines will just be changed back and we'll keep the money :)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think a year is a bit overkill, maybe 2 months would be good, also you would have to get rid of the whole Mod bit, so we could have fun changing shinjis tagline to, "mills is under the desk right now" or whatever.

Oh god no.... I dont want this to turn nasty. In fact I might pre-mod the new taglines too :)

I will take a vote of the mods and see if they are game for a laugh with it too (I expect they are!).

Admins might be a different matter lol!
    (I think we'd have to pay to lock ours immediately!)

Flamegrill are you up for this? I'll draw out the UI and do a basic design if you like (wont be anything fantastic) but if you'll code the backend then we can actually start to see how we are going to do this with a test case...

Let me talk to the other admins about setting up the CC processing (that costs cash) and then we'll have a green light...
    You think you can do this alone or you want to rope someone else into it?

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

/me mutters an amused bemused Addams family 'Lurch' style grunt.

A different method of payment would be great as many won't have access to credi cards. Postal orders are a good bet, I'm up for a bit of tag-line poker to raise some dosh.

(insert cheeky grin here... )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Originally posted by Gordon

A different method of payment would be great as many won't have access to credi cards. Postal orders are a good bet

I agree.
    Anyway it would hardly be fair if someone changed your tag and you had noway of changing it yourself because you dont have a credit card.
    I cant see many people specifically going out and getting a credit card just so they can get a new tag. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I'm afraid I'd have to agree. I still don't like the whole idea of changing somebody elses tag-line. I'd pay to change my own of course. And I'd pay for e-mail and webspace and all sorts of other stuff.

But somebody elses tagline? It'd be like giving the county council cash to allow you to spray "Wanker" on somebodies house.

Not a strictly accurate analogy I know, but it's hard to find a real-life(tm) equivilant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Originally posted by amp
    I'm afraid I'd have to agree. I still don't like the whole idea of changing somebody elses tag-line.

I agree, this could turn out nasty, but its still i nice idea
    Originally posted by amp
    And I'd pay for e-mail and webspace and all sorts of other stuff.

Me likey :D
    And custom avatars (non animated or offensive and kept to 32x32)

Maybe paying for a private forum too, i'm sure people wouldnt mind paying a small nominal fee for some privacy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

few questions:
    what's a tagline ?
    what do boards.ie need our money for ?

tagline is the line of text under your name on the left. For example mine is "Bastard Operator From Hell"

Boards.ie isnt free you know, it costs us to run it and frankly its now taking up a fair bit of our time. It would be nice to buy the mods a round of drinks (just one round as there are now about 300 odd mods of various flavours!) or give the admin's pockets a break. Also to buy more ram and CPU power for the new server, pay for the ever increasing bandwidth usage and maybe give the Hack Attackers a few pints too for their coding.

Trust me, money is always useful. Besides if you dont want to give us any of your cash, you dont have to... :)

DeV

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Originally posted by amp
    I'm afraid I'd have to agree. I still don't like the whole idea of changing somebody elses tag-line. I'd pay to change my own of course. And I'd pay for e-mail and webspace and all sorts of other stuff.

Have to agree with the changing other peoples tag lines, but having a pay for option for changing your own, having @boards.ie or webspace etc would be a good idea - kinda like a "premium services" thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by BuffyBot

Have to agree with the changing other peoples tag lines, but having a pay for option for changing your own, having @boards.ie or webspace etc would be a good idea - kinda like a "premium services" thing.

agreed, 100%.

Changing other people's taglines shouldn't be a part of these "premium services" - believe it or not, this, as an option, could possibly drive people away from the site.

I would definitely pay to add these "premium" services to my account... sort of a Boards.ie PLUS account rather than just your bog standard boards.ie account:
    • Personalised (pre-approved by admins) avatar
    • Tag-line editable in profile
    • Boards.ie email address
    • and more... (entry to 'paying members only' areas on the site? reduced admission price at boards beer events?)

I think the sign-up period should be a year also... and I don't think €10 to €15 is much to ask for this.

--

On a side note, I put it to ye also that when it comes to the @boards.ie email address, all users should get first refusal on their username@boards.ie

e.g.: I should have first refusal on bard@boards.ie

- say for example, in that case, that amp requested the address bard@boards.ie - I should get an email saying "A boards.ie user has requested the email address bard@boards.ie, but due to our first refusal policy, we are offering it to you first. If you are willing to sign up to the premium service of boards.ie within the next week, this address will be yours. Otherwise, it will be granted to the user who requested it."

Either that, or people should only be allowed sign up with a name resembling their own username - or at least NOT be allowed sign up with a name closely resembling someone else's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Maybe what is said above is right. If someone kept changing my tagline I'd probably just complain about the service.

I like Bards idea of "Boards.ie premium". It could work quite nicely.

I also don't think that anyone else should be able to take bard@boards.ie or leeroybrown@boards.ie. That would just facilitate people masquarading as other users (Could be a lot of fun on places like the for sale board ;) ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

I don't like the idea of blocking people out from certain forums because they aren't paying members. Scratch that idea, please.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Originally posted by Bard
    --

On a side note, I put it to ye also that when it comes to the @boards.ie email address, all users should get first refusal on their username@boards.ie

e.g.: I should have first refusal on bard@boards.ie

- say for example, in that case, that amp requested the address bard@boards.ie - I should get an email saying "A boards.ie user has requested the email address bard@boards.ie, but due to our first refusal policy, we are offering it to you first. If you are willing to sign up to the premium service of boards.ie within the next week, this address will be yours. Otherwise, it will be granted to the user who requested it."

Actually a good point which only came to mind after I posted. Who gets what address? Say my name is Sean, and I want sean@boards.ie, would payment allow you to have it even though my nick is BuffyBot

I assume you would have to develop some kind of back end to keep track of whose got what e-mail, Nick, webspace and/or any other ancillary systems - plus payment info etc - making a complicated project .

Sounds like an interesting challenge, shame I have zilch tech skills to help out!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement