Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schedule wifi adapter

Options
  • 30-09-2020 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭

Hi

I’m hoping someone can point me in the right direction here.

Does anyone know of a program preferably free or a setting that will allow the WiFi adapter on a windows 10 laptop to be scheduled? Like for example have WiFi available 09:00-17:00 and off the other times. Hopefully password protected too.

I know my Vodafone router allows MAC address scheduled access but setting it up correctly gives mixed results. Sometimes Available when it shouldn’t be and other times unavailable when it should be available.

Comments

Are you trying to set up parental controls perhaps? Windows 10 also has parental controls but I've not looked into those but believe there is screen time scheduling and stuff like that.

This old thread sorted me using the older router to achieve what you want to do I was missing something minor if I recall
    https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057196162

This is the newer router but I've no experience with them https://deviceguides.vodafone.ie/vodafone/hg659-mavericks/configuration/set-up-parental-control/#:~:text=Set%20up%20parental%20control%20%2D%20Vodafone%20HG659%2FMavericks&text=Click%20Parental%20Control.&text=Click%20New%20time%20rule.&text=Highlight%20the%20field%20next%20to,required%20name%20of%20the%20rule.&text=Highlight%20the%20field%20next%20to%20%22Times%20allowed%22%20and%20follow%20the,screen%20to%20select%20the%20period.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

jarvis wrote: »
    Hi

Does anyone know of a program preferably free or a setting that will allow the WiFi adapter on a windows 10 laptop to be scheduled? Like for example have WiFi available 09:00-17:00 and off the other times. Hopefully password protected too.

I know my Vodafone router allows MAC address scheduled access but setting it up correctly gives mixed results. Sometimes Available when it shouldn’t be and other times unavailable when it should be available.
    Child problem huh?
    Dont know if there is any easy way from within Windows , might be some app, but you could try scheduled task. See here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

Child problem huh?
    Dont know if there is any easy way from within Windows , might be some app, but you could try scheduled task. See here

Yeah. Need to make sure there no laptop usage late at night and it’s easy to monitor for a certain amount of time but scheduled time would be far easier. Thanks for the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,247 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Yeah. Need to make sure there no laptop usage late at night and it’s easy to monitor for a certain amount of time but scheduled time would be far easier. Thanks for the link.

You should be able to do it with task scheduler. Use an admin account that is password to to program it and only let the children use low privilege user accounts.

Some routers allow you to blacklist mac addresses for periods of time too. Would allow you to prevent phones and ipads from accessing wifi out of hours too.
    Edit - see you've tried that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Think through and test, as it might fire back in some instances...
    Lets say if device is powered down at the time of "enable" task time you will need to set "Run task as soon as possible after ... missed"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Easiest setup is to use a power socket programable timer for your router and have it off at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭DopeTech

If they are tech savvy they will just set up a bluetooth tether from their phone. The best way of preventing them from using them is asking them to leave them outside their bedroom when they are going asleep.

JoyPad wrote: »
    Easiest setup is to use a power socket programable timer for your router and have it off at night.

That would be fine but I’ve a lot of smart devices that use the WiFi 24:7 heating, lights, cameras etc

DopeTech wrote: »
    If they are tech savvy they will just set up a bluetooth tether from their phone. The best way of preventing them from using them is asking them to leave them outside their bedroom when they are going asleep.

Yes you’re right we don’t allow electronics in the bedroom at night and 99% of the time it’s adhered to. The phone is never in the bedroom but the laptop isn’t missed as much if we don’t see it around!!!!

Tech savvy is a thing the kids get from me so it’s like a game of tech chess. They’re speeding up their tech abilities and mine has stopped increasing as quickly lol.

Wouldn’t it be great though if teenagers just filled the rules 100% of the time. Is there an app for that???

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭kaahooters

easiest option is to get a meshed network that allows you device controll.

eeros are great for this and with the amazon prime day sale coming up theyll be more afforadable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Elwood_Blues

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭shootermacg

I use a Nighthawk router, connected to my Virgin Hub, which I've put in modem mode. It allows me to specify time-windows for any of the connected devices, but that is software specific to those Netgear routers.

Generally if you want to control access, then it the router software that does it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Can you set up a Guest account on your router and time that to come on and off at certain times? Different password to the main 2.5 or 5G accounts. That's what I used to do on an old router so it should be possible on newer ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Hi

The router settings are the best in the circumstances - provided you have a secure log in password.

If your router is not functioning properly then get it replaced by your ISP.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Nearly anything done on the laptop will be overcome somehow. My nephew figured out how to reset his laptop to factory settings to get Admin rights for instance.

You need to replace the router with something that actually works properly and has MAC address whitelisting for the adults devices; not blacklisting. Because MAC address randomisation apps are piss easy to find and set up.

Advertisement