Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FTTH, Google WiFi and Ethernet

Options
  • 20-09-2020 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭

Can anybody recommend the optimal networking setup for the following scenario?

Internet via: Eir FTTH
    Wired home network: 2x Cat6 ports in most rooms, back to utility room
    WiFi Mesh: Google Wifi + Nest Home (no ethernet)

Wired Devices:
    - Sky Q
    - laptop
    - consoles

Wireless devices:
    - smart home devices (echo, light switches, etc)
    - mobile phones / tablets

I understand that Google Wifi doesn't support VLAN, so I'd need a smart switch in between Eir router and the Google Wifi in order to utilise the mesh wifi network (from this post). Can I bring the various Cat6 ethernet cables back to the same switch, as part of the same VLAN?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Can I bring the various Cat6 ethernet cables back to the same switch, as part of the same VLAN?

No, that switch is on the WAN side. If you need more ports you need a second switch.

You could sell the Google and buy Orbi/other.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

ED E wrote: »
    No, that switch is on the WAN side. If you need more ports you need a second switch.

You could sell the Google and buy Orbi/other.

Thanks. Could I create a second VLAN on the same switch for the cat6?

Advertisement