Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rotary dial phone

Options
  • 27-08-2020 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

We have an Eir connection for broadband, landline and tv. Mobile phone via Vodafone. All good.

For 35 years I have kept a rotary dial button A button B payphone that I found in the hall of an ex rental property I purchased in Ranelagh.

A lockdown project! I have cleaned the payphone innards, chasing the spiders away, fed 2p and 5p coins to check button A works.

I now want to connect it to the phone line. Does the Eir network still accept rotary dial along with modern pulse dial?

It only has two wires to connect to the system, a grey wire and a white wire.

How do I connect them to a modern RJ45 plug?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

We have an Eir connection for broadband, landline and tv. Mobile phone via Vodafone. All good.

For 35 years I have kept a rotary dial button A button B payphone that I found in the hall of an ex rental property I purchased in Ranelagh.

A lockdown project! I have cleaned the payphone innards, chasing the spiders away, fed 2p and 5p coins to check button A works.

I now want to connect it to the phone line. Does the Eir network still accept rotary dial along with modern pulse dial?

Thanks!

It's been a while since I was involved in the field, but the exchange equipment should accept pulse (old) and tone (new).

You could butcher an old phone connection cable to have a plug one end and two wires out the other. It shouldn't matter which wire goes where. Just connect to where the white/grey was.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

It's been a while since I was involved in the field, but the exchange equipment should accept pulse (old) and tone (new).

You could butcher an old phone connection cable to have a plug one end and two wires out the other. It shouldn't matter which wire goes where. Just connect to where the white/grey was.
    Pulse dialing hasn't worked on my line in years. Now that may be something to do with me having VDSL rather than it being disabled at exchange level but the rotary phone I have connected is only good for answering calls rather than making them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Pataman

I was under thr impression that pulse dialing was long gone, only dtmf allowed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Pataman wrote: »
    I was under thr impression that pulse dialing was long gone, only dtmf allowed

You're probably right. Like I said it's been a while since I was involved... a very long while. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭65535

Depends on the exchange.
    You could always put it behind a small pbx that handles pulse dialling like an old 'london 8'
    Then set it's trunk as DTMF.

However you would be surprised as to the amount of equipment that is out there that will still work pulse - 10 pulses per second.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Thanks!

If you have a separate landline (copper cable) it might well be capable of receiving pulse dialling.

There are only two wires used for a POTS and it does not matter which way around you connect to them, so give it a try, you might find the old phone will work.

If you use the phone through the broadband router (VOIP) then no, the pulses will be filtered out.

BUT ..... there are pulse to tone converters that you can attach which should allow the old phone to work with tone dialling (DTMF).

I believe pulse dialling is being phased out but it might well be the case that your local exchange, connected by copper line, still has the pulse dialling capability.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭65535

My old 'red' rotary phone works on a Fritz Box router.
    Just don't make a mistake dialling a mobile number or you will have to hang up and dial again !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭beachhead

If you want to get dial tone on the A/B button payphone it's better to connect to a direct line with no extensions,wifi routers etc Plug your rj45 into the linejack and experiment with colours connecting to the termination block inside the pp.You need 2- line in,line out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I have a rotary phone which I've installed a kit which converts the pulses to tones, works just fine.
    I can't find the kit i ordered, but its along the lines of this. You will need to make sure it suits your phone though.

Other option, this from the US seems it might do the job

Advertisement