Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoor access point recommendation

Options
  • 29-07-2020 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi I'm looking for a recommendation for an omnidirectional outdoor access point. I would like to extend wifi to my garden around house and to a shed about 70m away which I have a IP camera in. I have cat 5e cable in my attic which is connected to my router. Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

qaz123 wrote: »
    Hi I'm looking for a recommendation for an omnidirectional outdoor access point. I would like to extend wifi to my garden around house and to a shed about 70m away which I have a IP camera in. I have cat 5e cable in my attic which is connected to my router. Cheers
    I have Aironet 3500 (Cisco) installed under concrete tiled roof - cover ~50-70m range, however, might be not reliable for IP cam.
    Look into Nanostation M5 from Ubiquiti, pair of them should give you Wire-like connectivity there

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

I use Orbi at home by Netgear and like it https://www.netgear.com/orbi/rbs50y.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

I was looking for a similar solution, so I got this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00HJUHX68/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It provides full signal to an old stone built garage 25m from where it's mounted and to a block built building 30m away in the other direction.

I get full signal on my phone at the most distant part of my property about 200m away in open countryside.

It's 2.4 only, which isn't an issue for me. It's cat5 wired back to my router about 20m away and gets power over the cat5 cable.

Hope this helps. :)

Advertisement