Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Build - Equipment Advise

Options
  • 03-07-2020 9:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hey everyone,

I am a couple of months out from completing our new build project so I am starting to look at the network equipment and would appreciate some advise.

The house was wired with Cat 6 during 1st fix and I have points going to all the usual places.

- Should I go with a POE switch? I dont have any plans for cameras etc but POE AP's would be a neat solution. (Any recommendations for a reasonably prices POE switch are welcome. I know ubiquiti would be the go to so anything under that price point I would be interested to hear about)

- Based on the above are there any good POE AP's other than the ubiquiti kind? (Would go with deco if I dont end up with a POE switch)

- Un-related to the above, but if anyone has a recommendation for a good HDMI switcher that would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Alt_M wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

I am a couple of months out from completing our new build project so I am starting to look at the network equipment and would appreciate some advise.

The house was wired with Cat 6 during 1st fix and I have points going to all the usual places.

- Should I go with a POE switch? I dont have any plans for cameras etc but POE AP's would be a neat solution. (Any recommendations for a reasonably prices POE switch are welcome. I know ubiquiti would be the go to so anything under that price point I would be interested to hear about)

- Based on the above are there any good POE AP's other than the ubiquiti kind? (Would go with deco if I dont end up with a POE switch)

- Un-related to the above, but if anyone has a recommendation for a good HDMI switcher that would be appreciated!

Thanks!

You don't have to install a POE switch, you can just purchase or get POE adapters included in the purchase of the AP's. Takes up plug space and gets messy with multiple devices but is a good interim solution.

In the prosumer market, ubiquiti is one of the best, offering a management platform and ecosystem that is easy to configure and install. There are other offerings from the likes of TP-link but they are not exactly amazing value in comparison especially considering the single unit unifi AP's(Ac-lite, roughly 85 quid a pop) include POE adapters and can be configured without a management platform.

TP-link deco is a mesh wifi system. Its the exact opposite of what you want, with a wired backbone in the house.

Did you put in cables for the AP's? You would usually aim for the mid ceilings in the hallway and landing for good wireless coverage in the house.

No idea on a HDMI switcher, is that even a thing. Most people now days watch things via streaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Alt_M

In the prosumer market, ubiquiti is one of the best, offering a management platform and ecosystem that is easy to configure and install. There are other offerings from the likes of TP-link but they are not exactly amazing value in comparison especially considering the single unit unifi AP's(Ac-lite, roughly 85 quid a pop) include POE adapters and can be configured without a management platform.

Thanks, thats what I needed to hear. Best bet is to do it right and just go for the ubiquiti. Good call on the POW adapter. Had not considered that.

TP-link deco is a mesh wifi system. Its the exact opposite of what you want, with a wired backbone in the house.

Did you put in cables for the AP's? You would usually aim for the mid ceilings in the hallway and landing for good wireless coverage in the house.

Cables for APs are at a high level but on the wall as I was thinking of using something like the ubiquiti in-wall. Probably should have went with something like the nanoHD but wasn't very well informed on all this prior to 1st fix.

No idea on a HDMI switcher, is that even a thing. Most people now days watch things via streaming.

Yeah this is true, I have a HDMI in the wall going from floor level to the height where the TV will be mounted. While we usually use NEtflix etc, sky box and consoles will need HDMI and I only installed a single HDMI cable in the wall, which was a bit daft.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Cables for APs are at a high level but on the wall as I was thinking of using something like the ubiquiti in-wall. Probably should have went with something like the nanoHD but wasn't very well informed on all this prior to 1st fix.

Not ideal but not the end of the world either.
    Yeah this is true, I have a HDMI in the wall going from floor level to the height where the TV will be mounted. While we usually use NEtflix etc, sky box and consoles will need HDMI and I only installed a single HDMI cable in the wall, which was a bit daft.

Or just pick up a AV receiver and some speakers.

Or just pick up a AV receiver and some speakers.

Good shout! Had not considered that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭death1234567

Hello,

I am in the process of building a new house and I am just wondering what type of cables/ports I will need in each room. Should I run CAT6 or CAT7 cables through the house? Currently the plan is to have the internet base in the hall of the house and then connect office/upstairs and two "TV" rooms with ethernet ports to allow me to connect things via wired connection. Is there anything else I need to consider? I also plan to have two outdoor cameras (either ring or nest) so I assume all I need for these is just an outdoor plug socket nearby?

Thanks,

• Advertisement

Hello,

I am in the process of building a new house and I am just wondering what type of cables/ports I will need in each room. Should I run CAT6 or CAT7 cables through the house? Currently the plan is to have the internet base in the hall of the house and then connect office/upstairs and two "TV" rooms with ethernet ports to allow me to connect things via wired connection. Is there anything else I need to consider? I also plan to have two outdoor cameras (either ring or nest) so I assume all I need for these is just an outdoor plug socket nearby?

Thanks,

Alright man, Im just at the end of a build now so have just gone through this. Some learnings from my build.

Yes, run Cat6 (or what ever is the best right now) to as many rooms as you can. If you are running to a point where you see a TV being, run two points here. The way I see it, the more devices you can keep off the wifi the better.

I wouldnt run it all back to the hall unless you have some sort of closet or someting there. You'll need a switch and some other gear back at the this point so its best to allow space and sockets here. We have run all ours back to a high point in the utility. Will all be installed into a wee cabinet out of the way but still accessible if required.

For the outdoor cameras you could buy ones which work with POE so removes the need for power socket outside. ALso, the camera door bells can usually take their power from a standard wired doorbell install.

In general though, yes, do put in outdoor sockets. They are handy to have.

Advertisement