Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Plain packaging on cigarettes

• 10-06-2014 4:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭

So it's been agreed and will go ahead. I don't see how this will solve anything at all and it will only help boost the black market trade. Is it really the right way to go?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

I really dont think it will make a difference - I'm a smoker and it would not make one jot of difference to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Might jumpstart the revival of the cigarette case! That'd be nice :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I think they should include a slip of paper with an arbitrary insult in each packet of 20.

*Opens packet*

"You are a c'unt"

*Sighs*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

How will this boost the black market trade? Do you actually know anybody that would be bothered finding someone to sell them cigarettes illegally because they miss the pretty packaging? I can see people going to the bother because of price, but I can't see packaging effecting that one bit.

That being said I don't think this move will achieve anything, I don't think many people started smoking because they like the pretty packaging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I can see them being totally banned by 2030 and going above €20 a pack in the interm.

Not as much starting smoking these days and the rest of us smokers will be nearly dead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Buzz Killington the third

How will this boost the black market trade? Do you actually know anybody that would be bothered finding someone to sell them cigarettes illegally because they miss the pretty packaging? I can see people going to the bother because of price, but I can't see packaging effecting that one bit.

Shops have been found to have been selling counterfeit cigarettes in the past. With this step, it will make it even easier.

To add to that point, it will make it easier and cheaper for cigarettes to be counterfeited which will make it cheaper to buy them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

I enjoy smoking when I drink. I dont give a toss what the government do to the packaging. If its plain boxes, so be it. If its the ones with the gruesome pictures, also cool. We joke about collecting an entire set, like we used to swap stickers. I'll give you my floppy penis for your blackened gums? Ooh cool you got the sperm one, I've wanted that for ages :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Gannicus

Its not going to achieve anything. Sure at the moment you're not allowed display cigarettes behind the counter anyway so making companies put a plain package on it will not do anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

It probably won't make many existing smokers quit, but it sends out a message to one of the most genuinely evil industries in the world that their branding, their image and their products are no longer acceptable. And for that reason alone, it's a good thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

In before 'wah wah nanny state turk er fegs' numb-skull reflex.

If this has the chance of reducing the harm cigarettes do it is to be welcomed. Cigarettes are a curse.

They should never be banned but advertising them should be banned across the board (including on the box).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,450 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Tried a couple of those counterfeit cigerretts when used to smoke,seriously rough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

Big Nasty wrote: »
    I can see them being totally banned by 2030.

Not a hope, worth a fortune to them in tax, which is all they care about really.

The whole health aspect is just a sideline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Buzz Killington the third

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    We joke about collecting an entire set, like we used to swap stickers. I'll give you my floppy penis for your blackened gums? Ooh cool you got the sperm one, I've wanted that for ages :p

They're the eircom call cards of the 21st century!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

It won't make a blind bit of difference. The biggest benefit is that maybe the health minister will actually get on with the job of fixing the HSE and move on from this time wasting crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

Plain packaging won't really do much I'd say. You'd be far less likely to start smoking if it had a picture of Ray D'Arcy on the side of the box with a message saying 'Ray says don't be a fool. Don't smoke'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Might jumpstart the revival of the cigarette case! That'd be nice :)

Its a conspiracy orchestrated by Big Cigarette Case.

They're the eircom call cards of the 21st century!

Haha used to run into every phonebox when I was a kid to collect used call cards :) Now I'm foraging in ashtrays looking for used cigarettes :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Of all the stupid reasons to start smoking, if anyone ever told me they started because of the attractive packaging I'd fcuking batter them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

That being said I don't think this move will achieve anything, I don't think many people started smoking because they like the pretty packaging.

White cigerette boxes would be a lot easier to make instead of the brand, logo and all of that. With white packaging, all that's left to do is forge the government sticker...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 briancarrol692

The black market smokes are rough and i dont think this will change anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

The emperors new clothes.

Well done Dr. Reilly; have another rasher sandwich.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Alf. A. Male

I don't know if plain packaging will help or not, but the picture of that bloke's throat tumour is starting to affect me :(

I don't know if plain packaging will help or not, but the picture of that bloke's throat tumour is starting to affect me :(

His skinny moustache gets to me more....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 gillholmes

i dont think this will change anything to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 rathbone

Is there any indication of when this might come in? Is it a done deal already or is there a possibility of it being turned over?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Wont bother me now i gave up 2 months ago I'm on electronic now use it very little too i have not used 1 5 refill pack yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 mopey

the only difference it will make is youll have to stand there a little longer in the shop while they go looking for your tobacco as you cant memorise brands by colour

cant for the life of me see the point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

I'd actually prefer plain packaging. I might start smoking again when they bring it in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

They should bring it in for confectionery, considering the rising child obesity problem, and children may actually be influenced by the colourful packaging.

Cant see it making any impact on existing smokers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    His skinny moustache gets to me more....

It's as if he's grown the moustache to try and direct attention away from the throat...

Poor fecker.

Advertisement