Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's the most ridiculous argument you've ever heard??

• 09-06-2014 4:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭

Mine has to be the whole "put down the elderly" thing, I've actually heard people who genuinely believe it's a good idea...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Yes it is....No it isn't....

Went on for hours.

Kids!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Hotale.com wrote: »
    Mine has to be the whole "put down the elderly" thing, I've actually heard people who genuinely believe it's a good idea...

Well it can't be good for your back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

The 'Bring Back/Introduce the Death Penalty' thing is hilarious. As is the 'All Dole Recipients are No-Good Scroungers' argument.

Also contenders are the occasional threads about animals being better than humans, the oft-quoted idea that one particular political party are better or worse then any others, and finally the argument that people in certain geopolitical areas are better that those in others.

Except the French, obviously. They're just evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

Wow few posts in and no mention of the Public Vs Private sector yet

AH is slacking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

The 'Bring Back/Introduce the Death Penalty' thing is hilarious. As is the 'All Dole Recipients are No-Good Scroungers' argument.

Also contenders are the occasional threads about animals being better than humans, the oft-quoted idea that one particular political party are better or worse then any others, and finally the argument that people in certain geopolitical areas are better that those in others.

Except the French, obviously. They're just evil.

Tbh that seems to be an AH only issue.. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Daddy or chips?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭metroburgers

People who think the moon landing never happened, even when you tell them you can bounce lasers off mirrors that were left there by Gay Byrne.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

"I won it on a horse"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

This thread does not exist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Most arguments I have with the missus are ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭simplybam

The Earth is 6000 years old!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Gay marriage will lead to paedophiles getting married so they can adopt kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Vaccinations cause autism.

FunLover18 wrote: »

This can't be real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

This can't be real.

Nope it's true, heard it a few months ago I'll try and find a link now

Edit for link
    http://equalitymatters.org/blog/201307030003

There are other people saying the same and other sources but trying to walk a dog and search is a nightmare!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,645 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Mate of mine once argued that the reverse around the corner aspect of a driving test should be removed because reversing is illegal

• Registered Users Posts: 14 alice.

Tomato is a fruit!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

About cannabis being a gateway drug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

alice. wrote: »
    Tomato is a fruit!!!!

And Rhubarb is a vegetable!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Myrddin wrote: »
    "I won it on a horse"

Bertie just before the economy crashed on those predicting it:

"I don't know how people who engage in that don't commit suicide"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

simplybam wrote: »
    The Earth is 6000 years old!

And watch them squirm when they realise cavemen had to have been living with dinosaurs for that to work. You see the cogs grinding to a halt and blank look until the mental gymnastics takes off. And comes out with the devil buried the fossils to confuse us..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I am a freeman of the land and I do not recognise this court.

Now, where's me dole?

I am a freeman of the land and I do not recognise this court.

Now, where's me dole?

We are all clearly on a naval vessel are we not :pac:

I've had some classics recently,

"psychics are real"
    "a full moon makes people go mad"
    "dogs eyes attract lightening"
    "consoles are better than pc's"
    "horoscopes are true"
    "Coldplay are a good band"

Sigh

We are all clearly on a naval vessel are we not :pac:

Aye aye Captain, er, I mean your honour..

danniemcq wrote: »

"psychics are real"
    "horoscopes are true"

Sigh

Full moons do make people mad. It's OK for scientist and their 'confirmation bias' baloney, they don't have to live in the real world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Homeopathy. Shams selling water to fools.

Even worse, people looking for homeopathic vets.

Idiotic.

Full moons do make people mad. It's OK for scientist and their 'confirmation bias' baloney, they don't have to live in the real world.

God damn science with all their proof and evidence they should just stick to gut feelings and knee jerk reactions.

I actually had this ummm discussion shall we say with a psychiatric nurse too!

• Advertisement

On what logic ? full moon is closer to the earth and effects the fluids in the brain ? yes the moon has a slight elliptical orbit, but mostly it's not directly illuminated by the sun, that's whey you cant see all of it .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Next year is our year : Every Liverpool fan since the Premiership started.

:pac:

alice. wrote: »
    Tomato is a fruit!!!!

"Intelligence is knowing tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad" - Somebody

On what logic ? full moon is closer to the earth and effects the fluids in the brain ? yes the moon has a slight elliptical orbit, but mostly it's not directly illuminated by the sun, that's whey you cant see all of it .....

Logic?

Mr.Spock believed in logic, and look what happened to him!

Next year is our year : Every Liverpool fan since the Premiership started.

:pac:

It is next year though. :p

"Intelligence is knowing tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad" - Somebody

egg plant / aubergine is a berry

• Advertisement

Had a look on wikipedia. Apparently banana is classified as a berry too. Off the the useless facts thread I go

Had a look on wikipedia. Apparently banana is classified as a berry too. Off the the useless facts thread I go

I looked up banana too and this caught my attention more than the berry part :pac:

http://images.halloweencostumes.com/products/11904/1-1/adult-chiquita-banana-costume.jpg

I looked up banana too and this caught my attention more than the berry part :pac:

http://images.halloweencostumes.com/products/11904/1-1/adult-chiquita-banana-costume.jpg

Remind me of this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,479 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Two brothers arguing and one says to the other 'f*ck you and all belong to you'

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭ElWalrus

The correct style of marching used by the FCA (PDF)!

Walking home from a night club while in college many moons ago, two mates got into a drunken scrap over it. I stood there in disbelief over what had just transpired. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 alice.

haha:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

danniemcq wrote: »

"psychics are real"
    "horoscopes are true"

Sigh

said no one ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭mockingjay

Asda Customer Service Pizza Complaint

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pkAeNcNJVjA&feature=kp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

any argument were people don't check their basic facts. which in fairness is probably the majority of them.

case in point, watching prime time debate on higher education last week and some bint called jackie lavin challenged brian lucey on the poor return on the amount of money being put into third level in ireland. how much money does the government spend on this jackie? he asks. after some bluster, she replied I don't know.

how anyone can argue about something they know nothing about is ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,334 ✭✭✭Archeron

You're a towel!

I actually know someone who will shout this to end an argument they are losing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

But also the cutest.

A lot of people are actually missing the point of the Thread Title -in a way- in that they are listing assertions. So for example the poster who listed "psychics are real" is listing a ridiculous and unfounded assertion - not a ridiculous argument.

By far - and I mean FAR - the most ridiculous and most precipitated argument on the planet has got to be "Well you can not prove there is NOT a god can you?".

Because that is something actually presented _as an actual positive argument for_ the existence of a god by the vast majority of subscribers to the particular fantasy.

And one wonders if we installed a simple 101 course on "onus of proof" and "negating an unfalsifiable assertion" into schools around age 10 - would the world - - the religion forum on here - and after hours threads - not look like a totally different place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

I thought this was going to be more of the "why do you like riding hippos?" type of argument. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭Skeleton XIII

Adyx wrote: »
    I thought this was going to be more of the "why do you like riding hippos?" type of argument. :(

Hippos need love too?

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭TheBrinch

FunLover18 wrote: »

That is one of the most ridiculous, yet ingenious ideas for a paedo i have ever heard!

Also you have a very fitting username for a paedo ;) (not actually accusing you of being a paedo! :D )

• Advertisement
Advertisement